What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Iamback

Coach
Manly just got almost 10k in mudgee

obviously you just picked the worst teams for allianz

if tigers roosters or south’s are one of the teams at allian it’s going to be a minimum of 20k

How many fans travelled to Mudgee from Manly though?

Regional games get locals not Thousands from the city

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
While there is no argument that's a crazy price tbf that is for premium seating in the stadium. There are plenty of cheaper options on other sections where adults are around$35 a pop and 20 for kids. Also comparing crowds against tigers this year and last... pretty sure it was a Sunday arvo last year which is a bit more family friendly than a Saturday night so maybe that makes a difference in attendance numbers.
Yeah I mentioned the $40 (once early bird expires) behind the post tickets in an earlier post.

I think we played the tigers on a Saturday night last year but it was closer to the finals (traditionally better pulls for the broncos - sometimes we even get 35-38k for teams like the raiders at the back end of a season). I think they might have even called last years game “superhero night” and had a cheap family option with some extra entertainment before kickoff.

beave

Coach
Tigers Broncos last year was most definetley on a Saturday night, was the Cairrgan hip drop game.

$130 is f**king ridiculous and the lack of people in the lower tier eastern side proved it was over priced last night.

The_Wookie

Bench
#NRLcrowds in Round 5 are 2,363 already ahead of R5 2022. The season is actually 26% ahead on aggregate crowds (148, 229 on last year) with 2 matches to play today. 60,254 is still needed for a record Round 5 attendance, however only 29,833 folks are needed to break 2007s season total.

Could be doable even with the Sharks playing at 13,000 cap venue and Bulldogs at Accor.

Iamback

Coach
South’s or roosters home games at allianz on Sunday at 3 pm

crowd winner

Crowd yes provided both sides are going well but TV you would lose 500k.

Next week we have a Thursday night game, It is a long weekend why is it not Sunday night?

That is where NRL can work on crowds and keep TV happy

Wb1234

Referee

Next week we have a Thursday night game, It is a long weekend why is it not Sunday night?

Loads of other good games for Thursday night

Colk

First Grade

Great point. Scheduling is a big thing.

Iamback

Coach
Great point. Scheduling is a big thing.

It is such a minor thing but Accor and now Allianz can be turned into a event for times like this. It builds the crowd ave up without moving the big games from Thurs and Friday nights or playing local derbies 40km for both teams bases

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Was there ever any doubt a boost would come from the new ground?

Keeping the fans next year is the challenge
I actually think the Roosters have accumulated a lot of fans over the last 20 years. They're a successful club on the paddock, kids see that and support them as youngsters and they now have an income of their own to attend games.

The Roosters get a lot of flack about their alleged salary cap rorting (imo it's about how they advise their players how to invest their money that attracts players so fair and square and smart) but the fact is they should be lauded and held up as an example to follow.

Now excuse me while I go and vomit 🤢

Colk

First Grade
I actually think the Roosters have accumulated a lot of fans over the last 20 years. They're a successful club on the paddock, kids see that and support them as youngsters and they now have an income of their own to attend games.

The Roosters get a lot of flack about their alleged salary cap rorting (imo it's about how they advise their players how to invest their money that attracts players so fair and square and smart) but the fact is they should be lauded and held up as an example to follow.

Exactly right. Successful teams build larger supporter groups although with their success they probably should have more supporters

mave

Coach
How many fans travelled to Mudgee from Manly though?

Regional games get locals not Thousands from the city
There would be at least 2k minimum from the city I reckon.

This is our 3rd year taking a game here and it has definitely become an "event" for travelling supporters.

Probably less this year than last year though, but town is still bloody busy with travelling fans.

Iamback

Coach

I don't doubt that. They have a Leagues Club in Penrith, Links to the Central Coast that builds the fanbase. on a Thursday night particularly getting to Moore Park is an issue.

Inner city people don't tend to follow a particular code hence why they get some ordinary crowds thrown in

Valheru

Coach
Was there ever any doubt a boost would come from the new ground?

Keeping the fans next year is the challenge

Signs are good that a new stadium will keep the fans. Sydney FC have far and away the best average in a-league and you just have to look at other grounds around Australia like commbank, suncorp, Adelaide oval etc that have maintained very good crowds.

Will it be as high as this year, probably not. We can't expect games against souths to continue getting 38k IMO, a 30k average would be more than acceptable. Hopefully we maintain 20k average against other Sydney sides with decent time slots.

My comment was more in relation to the general flack we cop about fans or lack thereof. Parramatta is the only Sydney club I would say that has a significantly bigger fanbase than us. Others might have a bigger one but not significantly so IMO. Dragons is potentially the other but they have a lot of disenfranchised fans at the moment.

Iamback

Coach
Not for crowds

every weeks there’s four good games

nine can pick someone else it the nrl tell them too

Yet you want TV to pay $550m yet not get to use the product best?

Say you had Roosters v Eels today.

Weather is ordinary -
There would be weddings, Birthday parties on
UFC, F1, AFL and any number of things on today.

That is why the ratings are lower on a Sunday and no guarantee the extra crowd makes up for it