What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Iamback

Coach
39k at Allianz last year for the Sharks vs Souths semi final... from memory it was a pretty even split too, plenty of Sharks supporters. No reason at all to think there wouldn't be 35k+ if it was at Allianz instead of Shark Park.

One thing the NRL does right come finals is control ticket pricing... it's cheaper than regular season matches!

That was a Sunday and 2 100 year rivals. Goes against what we have seen in the past for Souths and Roosters ( non rival ) games

yakstorm

First Grade
Was thinking is the top eight format wrong?
Shouldn't top four sides get home ground advantage first week?and play against 4 bottom sides? So Warriors and Storm don't get home games,but Sharks and Newcastle do? Something just doesn't sound right.
We had that system for Week 1 for a number of years (1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5) and overall it was accepted until you had scenarios where Minor Premiers were losing Week 1 and then not getting another home game or teams finishing as high as 3rd eliminated in Week 1.

Honestly from a selling point, it was easier to sell Finals as the team with momentum got the home finals. So you'd suddenly have a 6th placed Raiders or 8th placed Warriors host a home final in Week 2 which would sell out ridiculous quickly.

The current finals is designed to protect the top 4, which is right from an integrity perspective, but unfortunately kills off these 'dare to dream' scenarios that the old system could entertain.

blukablu

Juniors
I'm surprised the tickets for Penrith stadium and especially Shark Park are so cheap.

They should price gouge the f**k out of them.

Harry O

Juniors
Too modest! Roosters regularly cop it but if this was at Allianz I’m sure it would fill (and if the SCG trust gronks show it would get 40k) and Roosters fans would own a 2:1 split.
If this was @ moore Park I was gunna go with my union colleagues from work, all up ten of us now will miss out now. Yeah I know the sharks deserve home ground advantage, but as a fan perspective 30k will most probably be missing out.

Harry O

Juniors
We had that system for Week 1 for a number of years (1v8, 2v7, 3v6, 4v5) and overall it was accepted until you had scenarios where Minor Premiers were losing Week 1 and then not getting another home game or teams finishing as high as 3rd eliminated in Week 1.

Honestly from a selling point, it was easier to sell Finals as the team with momentum got the home finals. So you'd suddenly have a 6th placed Raiders or 8th placed Warriors host a home final in Week 2 which would sell out ridiculous quickly.

The current finals is designed to protect the top 4, which is right from an integrity perspective, but unfortunately kills off these 'dare to dream' scenarios that the old system could entertain.
Maybe they can come up with a better system in the near future

Omott91

Juniors
I am not going to count Magic round as INDIVIDUAL DAYS as that defeats the purpose of counting crowd figures PER GAME played.

With that said, after 208 regular H&A season games, the NRL has for the first time in history has reached 4 million spectators. At the conclusion of round 27, a total of 4,006,624 spectators have gone through the gates for an average of 19,262. We need another 333,376 (4,340,000) for this finals series to lock in 20,000+ average attendance for the season.

The game is booming and growing. Obviously the Phins inclusion helped immensely, but so many teams have broken their own crowd records and averages this season. Watching a lot of the games this year with big crowds on the TV was such a relieving sight to see.
I believe that method is disingenuous, especially when added to the Home teams overall season average. It should be the amount that attended divided by games played. Simple.

Iamback

Coach
I wonder how much money the NRL will make from these finals? Surely they're swimming in it.

Yep.

Take Shark Park

Cat 1 tickets are $90

Sharks own it so the tradeoff would be little to no fee to hire it

The Corporate boxes have increased too.

Suncorp is getting 2 games both will be filled

yakstorm

First Grade
The Finals are NRL run and owned events, with the money made going to fund a range of NRL run initiatives from grassroots to Internationals.

Unlike broadcast revenue, clubs don't get any direct revenue from Finals matches, unless they are the Sharks, who own their own ground and charge rent to the NRL.

Now when it comes to home Finals, I get why there was a push for them again from 2019, especially after some pretty poorly attended qualifying finals in the earlier years, but there needs to be a minimum standard.

IMO, if a ground can't hold 20K+, it shouldn't be eligible. 20K is enough to cater for majority of demand for most QF match ups by Sydney clubs and is enough for the game to make some decent dollars.

This also means Wollongong & Penrith can host, whilst it's not unachievable for Brookvale, Shark Park, Campbelltown or Leichhardt to get to those capacities again if they want to host Finals.