What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Dally M Awards

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
1. Edwards
2. Cobbo
3. Best
4. Staggs
5. To'o
6. Munster
7. Cleary
8. Collins
9. Egan
10. Fisher-Harris
11. Nikora
12. Olakau'atu
13. Harris

Not a bad team of nominees to take on the winners

aqua_duck

Coach
And given the same posters are saying you are a 1 man team, that'd suggest Ponga must have put up an immortal level season.
This, it’s hilarious that the same people who don’t rate our team are then upset the only player that is rated is monopolising the dally m points.

aqua_duck

Coach
My arguement is he wasn't the best player all year only half a year. I thought I made it clear the first time I posted.
And as I said that’s how the voting system works which then led you to go on a tangent about the credibility of the judges……

soc123_au

Staff member
This, it’s hilarious that the same people who don’t rate our team are then upset the only player that is rated is monopolising the dally m points.
I don't know that anyone with a brain is upset that Ponga poled as well as he did. He clearly deserved every point he got.

The angst is the flawed system. There were other players that had better seasons, yet had to share points with other players on the same team that also had better seasons than Ponga.

Ponga had an awesome post origin period which was enough to get the win, pre origin he was looking half a chance to be forced into retirement.

It is what it is though, a cross between a popularity contest and most dominant player in a team of less fancied players. I wont say shit players because there were some bloody good Knights this year, just not on Pongas level.

Hynes and Grant getting so many points speaks volumes of what a joke it is. Neither had years worthy of troubling the top 10.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I don't know that anyone with a brain is upset that Ponga poled as well as he did. He clearly deserved every point he got.

The angst is the flawed system. There were other players that had better seasons, yet had to share points with other players on the same team that also had better seasons than Ponga.

Ponga had an awesome post origin period which was enough to get the win, pre origin he was looking half a chance to be forced into retirement.

It is what it is though, a cross between a popularity contest and most dominant player in a team of less fancied players. I wont say shit players because there were some bloody good Knights this year, just not on Pongas level.

Hynes and Grant getting so many points speaks volumes of what a joke it is. Neither had years worthy of troubling the top 10.
Grant had a very poor year

aqua_duck

Coach

That argument works if SJ played for the broncos or panthers, but the warriors only finished one spot higher than the knights and with a far inferior for and against. If you want to talk about degree of difficulty SJ had a far easier job playing behind a great pack supported by a great fullback and good hooker where as Ponga is behind an OK pack with far inferior spine partners

Chins get the wins

First Grade
That argument works if SJ played for the broncos or panthers, but the warriors only finished one spot higher than the knights and with a far inferior for and against. If you want to talk about degree of difficulty SJ had a far easier job playing behind a great pack supported by a great fullback and good hooker where as Ponga is behind an OK pack with far inferior spine partners
The judges are idiots. Wonder if players like Crossland even polled points

wittyfan

Referee
Congratulations to Ponga. Good to see a Queenslander take out the top gong instead of a NSWanker. It was also refreshing to see all style no substance show ponies like Moses and Ilias completely absent.
Nothing refreshing about last night whatsoever.

aqua_duck

Coach
The judges are idiots. Wonder if players like Crossland even polled points
I would imagine Crossland and Gamble would’ve polled 1 or 2 points here and there but they certainly weren’t anywhere near as influential as Ponga, of the 9 wins in a row Ponga was part of there was only one game from memory where Ponga wasn’t man of the match. To put things into perspective on one of the knights supporter sites they do a player of the year polling, Ponga polled almost as many votes as Gamble, Hastings and Crossland combined.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I would imagine Crossland and Gamble would’ve polled 1 or 2 points here and there but they certainly weren’t anywhere near as influential as Ponga, of the 9 wins in a row Ponga was part of there was only one game from memory where Ponga wasn’t man of the match. To put things into perspective on one of the knights supporter sites they do a player of the year polling, Ponga polled almost as many votes as Gamble, Hastings and Crossland combined.
Ponga was great but even when he's not idiots give him points. Same goes for Cleary and Harry Grant especially.

aqua_duck

Coach
Ponga was great but even when he's not idiots give him points. Same goes for Cleary and Harry Grant especially.
When exactly did this happen? The polled the majority of his points on that 10 win run where he played 9 of those games, of those 9 games he was clearly MOTM in 8 of those with the only exception being round 24 against the bulldogs where he polled only 2 points that round.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Considering how Shaun Johnson played all year how is that he lost to player that played well half a year.
Because Gamble, Clune and Crossland. No one's taking votes off Ponga in victories in that spine. SJ suffered from having a better cast, which to be fair can also speak to Ponga's ability to drag what looks on paper a bottom 8 side into 5th. I don't have a great issue with it, SJ was gutted and I think deservedly so, but he was halfback of the year and our POTY, hopefully he carries a bit more fire into 2024.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It's not going to change, the NRL wants the ballot voting system to create column inches and hype throughout the season and leading into the Dally M Awards. If they made it an MVP like the NBA, they lose that. I can't think how they'd change it to ensure the best player wins it, not just the best spine player or the standout in a non-dominant side. It's still better than the AFL's Brownlow, which is a joke. The umpires vote on that and their efforts are laughable.

Same as coach of the year, Ivan Cleary may achieve an unprecedented three-peat (modern era) as coach but not win any coach of the years...and in fact be beaten by three coaches (Bellamy, Payten and Webster) whose side didn't make the GF in any of those years. In fact, over the last 6 years, only one coach of the year (Cleary in 2020) made the GF, and he lost it.

Meth

Staff member
I didn't think Ponga should have won it, but I understand why he did. It's hardly grievous.

Bizarre that Hynes finished so high up there though.

Generalzod

Immortal
I didn't think Ponga should have won it, but I understand why he did. It's hardly grievous.

Bizarre that Hynes finished so high up there though.
Totally agree with Hynes considering he missed a few games at the beginning of the year, maybe it should be up to the refs to vote who was the most dominate player in each game.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The problem with these awards are the judges have a natural bias towards looking at the key players in games.

They're going to be looking at the Pongas, if he has a good game they'll give him maximum points. If he doesn't he'll still probably poll because they're watching him.

How do you resolve that? AI.