What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 FW1 Sat - Penrith 32-6 Warriors @ BlueBet

Finals Week 1: Penrith v Warriors

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • Warriors

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Egan to have a blinder, one that got away.

Behind the best in the game, Api, at the time.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
DWZ another, hey he has been pretty good this season.

Penrith are relentless, but can be beaten.

Down on troops.

GongPanther

Referee
How do the minor premiers get the worst time slot for the weekend?

4pm Saturday is shit.
Yes, for the past three years, the team who were MPs, played on a Friday. If we played on Friday, the Warriors fans back in NZ would have got a 10:00 pm KO time. A thing in the Panthers favour is having that extra day for recovery, and that is a good move by the NRL as the game will be a sellout anyway.

As far as this result goes, it will be one of those usual absorbing contests were it will have the Warriors eventually running out of steam after another big defensive effort by the Panthers. In losing this game, it will harden the Warriors the week after to learn from the loss against the Panthers, and their quest will hopefully continue.

A half time lead of 14-6 to the Panthers, will blow out to a 26-12 win. FTS To'o.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
We've been lulling all the top teams into a false sense of security with our streak of ugly wins against unfancied opposition and the final round loss to the Dolphins (with half our top team rested) the ultimate bluff for a finals ambush.

We've only beaten Penrith in Penrith twice since we last made the grand final in 2011, which is good enough for me to give us the win in this expectation-defying season 😅

Warriors have been proving the naysayers wrong all season. Warriors 14-12

Pay no attention to it mate, it's just resentment and jealousy. Comes with winning.

It will get worse at finals time because fans of the "incumbent" teams think they're entitled to win. But it would be a very boring NRL competition if the incumbents won every year. Outside of their own fanbases, no one wants to see the Panthers, Storm or Chooks win this year. How boring.

Penrith are the benchmark, and are on track for the 3peat. But it doesn't mean you can't hold out hope the Warriors go all the way, and they are one of the teams that could stop Penrith. And out of all the teams in the 8, I reckon the neutrals will be backing the Warriors the most.

I'll go against the grain and say Warriors by a Shaun Johnson field goal.

Woody90

Juniors
I’m really conflicted. On one hand I’d love nothing more than to see the Warriors get up here, but on the other if they do the Knights will likely get smashed in week 2 (assuming we get over the Raiders).

Valheru

Coach
Warriors have low key been terrible for the last 6 weeks. I’m hoping the week off most have will ready them for the finals but sadly I doubt it.
Panthers by 22.

You've alluded to the elephant in the room about the warriors that no one wants to talk about because they (and the knights) are the feel good story of the season.

In addition to their recent form they are 5-6 in games against the top 8 with all wins coming against raiders (2), sharks (2) and knights. They are 0-4 against their top 4 peers and got beat twice by the chooks too.

It's not going to be popular but for me they are the sharks of last season, finishing higher than they otherwise would due to a user friendly draw. Still a top 8 team for sure but not top 4 IMO. I fear for them this week and think the knights are massive chances to roll them next week too.

soc123_au

Staff member
You've alluded to the elephant in the room about the warriors that no one wants to talk about because they (and the knights) are the feel good story of the season.

In addition to their recent form they are 5-6 in games against the top 8 with all wins coming against raiders (2), sharks (2) and knights. They are 0-4 against their top 4 peers and got beat twice by the chooks too.

It's not going to be popular but for me they are the sharks of last season, finishing higher than they otherwise would due to a user friendly draw. Still a top 8 team for sure but not top 4 IMO. I fear for them this week and think the knights are massive chances to roll them next week too.
The hope for them is to copy what we did to you guys week 1 2014. Pretty similar match up. The common denominator is DWZ on the wing for both underdogs. He pulled one out of his arse in the 79th minute that night, wonder if he has another miracle in him. Fortunately we dont have any cheese eating surrender monkeys in the team to bomb a try costing a win. Poor Remi, the first Frenchman to cost his team an NRL prelim.

Woody90

Juniors

They still very much deserve their spot in the top 4 though. It’s not like the teams below them have gone any better against the top 3 sides. Roosters and Sharks have been smashed most times they’ve gone up against the top 3, and while the Knights beat Melbourne and went very close against Penrith and Brisbane, they still haven’t beaten them.

Fair to say they might struggle against the top 3, but they were very close against Penrith and Brisbane and they’ll continue to build experience.

Hell, the fact that the Warriors have gotten into the top 4 just by beating the teams they should is f**king amazing really considering historically you’ve not been able to back them with stolen money against anyone.

Nealo 12

Bench
Pay no attention to it mate, it's just resentment and jealousy. Comes with winning.

It will get worse at finals time because fans of the "incumbent" teams think they're entitled to win. But it would be a very boring NRL competition if the incumbents won every year. Outside of their own fanbases, no one wants to see the Panthers, Storm or Chooks win this year. How boring.

Penrith are the benchmark, and are on track for the 3peat. But it doesn't mean you can't hold out hope the Warriors go all the way, and they are one of the teams that could stop Penrith. And out of all the teams in the 8, I reckon the neutrals will be backing the Warriors the most.

I'll go against the grain and say Warriors by a Shaun Johnson field goal.
Awwwwe that’s a beautiful fing too ease them wah wahs …awwwe I’m trying not to cry