What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 GF | PREMIERS - Penrith 26-24 Brisbane @ Accor

Grand Final: Penrith v Brisbane

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 62 72.9%
  • Brisbane Broncos

Votes: 23 27.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Did Reynolds not acknowledge Penrith in his speech? Lmao
Righto.
Completely devastated.
We got what we deserved unfortunately.
When you are competing against a two defending champion they must be respected. This respect has been earned over the last few seasons. The fact that some of them carry on like bellends is irrelevant.

We stopped respecting our opponent for a very short period and that is all it took.

The ref did a great job.

One thing I'm sure of is the team will have learnt from this and will be better for it next season.

Well done PENRITH. A quality performance under immense pressure. Cleary really stood up when required and was prepared to do whatever it took to get the victory.

Generalzod

Immortal
Righto.
Completely devastated.
We got what we deserved unfortunately.
When you are competing against a two defending champion they must be respected. This respect has been earned over the last few seasons. The fact that some of them carry on like bellends is irrelevant.

We stopped respecting our opponent for a very short period and that is all it took.

The ref did a great job.

One thing I'm sure of is the team will have learnt from this and will be better for it next season.

Well done PENRITH. A quality performance under immense pressure. Cleary really stood up when required and was prepared to do whatever it took to get the victory.
I understand your disappointment, it was there ifor the taking , I didn't see the match live I had my daughters wedding, when I got home I watched the replay. Like the 2015 grand final you guys instead of continuing to attck the opposition you guys where protecting your lead and when you are playing a team like Penrith it spells disaster.

Last edited:

Apey

Staff member

I mean he’s not wrong

Andrew Johns labeled everything the greatest of all time last night. Everything fron the opening kick off, to Adam Reynolds' apparent groin tear, probably Walsh's pink boots and then Nathan Cleary. The guy turns superlatives into common phrases.

To say that was the greatest GF performance of a halfback is just nuts. He was largely absent for 55 minutes. He missed Mam outright for one try. The backline was incredibly disjointed all first half. Yep, huge finish. But best of all time? That just makes a mockery of Joey as a commentator.
While Joey certainly has turned into an absolute mong in the commentary box, the full quote (when he first said it anyway) was "that 20 minutes was the greatest performance from a halfback in a grand final, ever" which is right. They left off the 20 minute part.

Frankus

Juniors
I agree. It’s difficult to rank this as a CC medal performance. He was so poor for the first hour then played 20 of the best minutes youll see. Missed Mam for one try, kicked dead on tackle 4 under no pressure which lead to another (would have been the key moment in the game has they not comeback). I don’t think he rates among the top medal winners (Keary, Priddis, Burgess, Edwards), I would say the next tier down.
Sam Burgess was not even the best player in his family that night. Joke that he got the CC

JokerEel

Coach
I agree. It’s difficult to rank this as a CC medal performance. He was so poor for the first hour then played 20 of the best minutes youll see. Missed Mam for one try, kicked dead on tackle 4 under no pressure which lead to another (would have been the key moment in the game has they not comeback). I don’t think he rates among the top medal winners (Keary, Priddis, Burgess, Edwards), I would say the next tier down.

He wasn't poor for the first hour.. the first half he controlled the game as Penrith usually do nothing flashy just grind away.

Missed 2 big tackles So did Yeo btw and kicked dead when he tried a chip and Chase.

Ma'am played well for 10 minutes and everyone wanted to give it to him if Broncos won...

Burgess 😂 Keary 😂

soc123_au

Staff member
Also want to mention the incredible achievement by PENRITH on three in a row. Completing this while having quality players snapped up by other clubs year after year is just superb and displays what a quality outfit that club is.
Some of you merkins are making it hard to be smug. The graciousness from most Broncos fans on here has been amazing all things considered. I guess it helps that the game was epic and the officiating was top notch. Still gotta give respect where it's due. Well done fellas.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Some of you merkins are making it hard to be smug. The graciousness from most Broncos fans on here has been amazing all things considered. I guess it helps that the game was epic and the officiating was top notch. Still gotta give respect where it's due. Well done fellas.
It is the fans from the other clubs that are sinking the boot, most Penrith fans have shown our club a fair bit of respect after last night, it's nice.

So many of them haven't been active since July but here they are, bless! It's much nicer to be hated at the top 2 than losing at the bottom.

Generalzod

Immortal
It is the fans from the other clubs that are sinking the boot, most Penrith fans have shown our club a fair bit of respect after last night, it's nice.

So many of them haven't been active since July but here they are, bless! It's much nicer to be hated at the top 2 than losing at the bottom.
Commiserations what else can I say to cheer you up....any way enjoy the summer.

horrie hastings

First Grade

The Broncos can hold their head high after that game, as a neutral i would rate that as one the best Grand Finals i have ever watched, that game could have gone either way , Penrith just found that extra gear towards the end.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The Broncos playing hot potato near the Penrith line was IMO.

Sixteen points up and odds on to get another try, instead Herbie (?) threw the ball onto the ground and Critta showed the desperation to get there first.
I think that sums it up exactly, had the Broncs got another try from the result of that play Penrith wouldn't have come back but the desperation that Critta showed to get to the ball you just knew Penrith were still in there fighting and had belief they could still win.