What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Grand Final Panthers vs Broncos

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Watched the last twenty minutes the other night for the first time either not drunk or really hungover.

From the high shot there was absolutely nothing on for Nathan's final try. The two previous plays were a waste too.

Was his intention with the short side underlap to take on the defence or was he thinking get the ball to Critta?

Him strolling through really shouldn't have happened.

I think he had a good eye on Walsh walking through most plays. Walsh found himself in a position Cleary knew he could expose, one small fake from Kenny was all he needed . Masterclass of vision. Goat

snickers007

Juniors
Watched the last twenty minutes the other night for the first time either not drunk or really hungover.

From the high shot there was absolutely nothing on for Nathan's final try. The two previous plays were a waste too.

Was his intention with the short side underlap to take on the defence or was he thinking get the ball to Critta?

It was terrible defence from the Broncos.

Their open side defenders (Carrigan and Haas) only had eyes for Yeo and Fish.

They had us 4 defenders to 3 attackers on the blind side yet Cleary was on the outside of both Walters and Reynolds, and Critta and To'o were on the outside of their men too.

Farnsworth ran up fast, which forced Cleary back inside. Problem was that everyone on the inside was slower than the last. So when Cleary beat Reynolds, Walters was so far back.

Their markers (Riki and Walsh) both fell for the dummy. Riki chased hard when he realised what happened, but he only ran across the try line, he didn't move forward, and again was behind Walters. He also over-committed to closing the gap, and when Cleary angled back, he was no chance.

Ulitimately, I think Walters should take most of the blame here. He was in no man's land to start with, and then he didn't push up as hard as his outside man. If he was in line with Reynolds, he is in a position to tackle Cleary when he's beating Reynolds. It's a shame too, because I think he was very good for the Broncos this year.

I think the plan had to be to try and position Critta or To'o in the corner, and then set up the cross-field kick to Garner/Tago/Turuva on the 5th if needed.

MugaB

Coach
It was terrible defence from the Broncos.

Their open side defenders (Carrigan and Haas) only had eyes for Yeo and Fish.

They had us 4 defenders to 3 attackers on the blind side yet Cleary was on the outside of both Walters and Reynolds, and Critta and To'o were on the outside of their men too.

Farnsworth ran up fast, which forced Cleary back inside. Problem was that everyone on the inside was slower than the last. So when Cleary beat Reynolds, Walters was so far back.

Their markers (Riki and Walsh) both fell for the dummy. Riki chased hard when he realised what happened, but he only ran across the try line, he didn't move forward, and again was behind Walters. He also over-committed to closing the gap, and when Cleary angled back, he was no chance.

Ulitimately, I think Walters should take most of the blame here. He was in no man's land to start with, and then he didn't push up as hard as his outside man. If he was in line with Reynolds, he is in a position to tackle Cleary when he's beating Reynolds. It's a shame too, because I think he was very good for the Broncos this year.

I think the plan had to be to try and position Critta or To'o in the corner, and then set up the cross-field kick to Garner/Tago/Turuva on the 5th if needed.
5d3dlf.jpg

Pomoz

Bench
All these comments are spot on. The biggest issue at this point in the game was the Broncos were absolutely out on their feet. Other than 20 minutes of the game when they scored and dominated, they were under the pump for most of the game.

They made 11 errors and every set we made 8m more gain. The errors meant we both had 38 sets but they completed 10 less sets than us. As a result they were pinned in their own half so much they only got to make one attacking kick, we made 14. They only had 9 tackles in our 20, we had 35 in theirs. Luai and Tago's injuries were a big reason we couldn't turn that possession into more points. They were just not as effective as they usually are. We were pretty clunky in attack.

Why so many errors? Our relentless defence caused them to make errors through fatigue and trying to force the pass. Over 80m it starts to sap energy. In the last 10 minutes they were fried. Walsh is an elite athlete and he was walking at the end.

This scenario has played out many times over the last three years. Our next level fitness is a silent killer. You think you are going to beat us and then suddenly you find your feet can't move and Edwards and co are running through you like they are fresh off the interchange. It must be demoralising.

murraymob

Coach

murraymob

Coach
The play by Cleary was intended he had fished that same cut back in A few times during the match.Walsh had shown signs off being gassed for a while he took the advantage and nailed it All hail king cleary

Kenny’s subtlety helped but the threat of Critta and the laziness of Walsh were two huge contributing factors.

maple_69

Bench
Give that much quality ball to Penrith and they beat you 9 games out of 10. The points came in an odd order but the game otherwise went to script.

I reckon Suni deserves a bigger wrap than he’s got out of that game. Some of the desperation jams where he literally threw himself at Walsh absolutely saved the game for us. He’s the embodiment of Penrith, always wants it more.

MugaB

Coach
I know its a little thing, but I'm certain that if the roles are reversed, Edwards is busting his lungs in that photo, in the likely hopeless attempt to make the 1 in a million try saver.
Nope, that would be a try-saved as dylan edwards would have not only caught him, but also got another CC medal for it

Munky

Coach
I know its a little thing, but I'm certain that if the roles are reversed, Edwards is busting his lungs in that photo, in the likely hopeless attempt to make the 1 in a million try saver.

It was a huge underlap.

Four on three plus two markers on the defence.

Edwards isn't needed in that scenario on the Panthers line.