What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Hostplus Cup - Fixures & Results

Brutus

Referee
They like stuffing around the kick off time of the GF these days. Last year it was a Saturday arvo same time as AFL GF, this year 5.30pm on a Sunday.

The NRLW comp has relegated the QLD Cup to an afterthought.

Go Easts!

MRN

Juniors
Part of me would like to see the Tigers break their QLD Cup duck. Part of me wants the Bears to get up, in the hope that North Sydney win the NSW Cup next week and set up a Bears v Bears NRL State Championship.

MRN

Juniors
They like stuffing around the kick off time of the GF these days. Last year it was a Saturday arvo same time as AFL GF, this year 5.30pm on a Sunday.

The NRLW comp has relegated the QLD Cup to an afterthought.

Go Easts!
I've ummed and ahhed about going because of the somewhat unfriendly kick off time on a Sunday. Probably just stay home and watch it on TV. My boss told me yesterday he looked into buying the hospitality pack for us to have a staff outing until he saw the schedule, with early Monday starts, he knew that was not a good idea.

MRN

Juniors
Fox pulling out the stops having Vossy commentate the grand final and Yvonne and Parker doing the pre-game.
Game being shown in the U.S. according to Vossy.
Heaps of empty seats unfortunately, which shows late Sunday arvo is not a friendly time slot for this game.
Huge props to the crowd though, not one stupid merkin yelling out in the moment silence for John McDonald.

Brutus

Referee
Rugby league administrators need to have a long hard look at themselves.

Playing this at 5.30pm on Sunday is criminal.

Surely the biggest non NRL club game in QLD for the year could have been treated with more respect.

They have let the NRLW comp overtake both state comps.

This should be the number 1 focus of the day, played at 3pm and shown on Ch 9 (QLD) and Fox like it has been in the past. At least Fox is showing it and giving it the Vossy treatment.

The crowd is ordinary and to be expected thanks to the idiots who chose the timeslot.

Diesel

Referee
I don’t mind 5:30 on a Sunday but it should be a long weekend. I guess the Warriors NRL game at 4pm (QLD) took the time slot away from the QRL.

MRN

Juniors
I don’t mind 5:30 on a Sunday but it should be a long weekend. I guess the Warriors NRL game at 4pm (QLD) took the time slot away from the QRL.
That's the problem. It ain't a long weekend. Was scheduled ages ago, tickets went on sale ages ago. Warriors game had no effect, merely a coincidence. Should have been 3pm - 3.30pm in the circumstances. I guarantee they change it next year.

MRN

Juniors
Probably banking on it being school holidays but still poor planning
If that was their thought process it failed miserably. Probably the least amount of kids I've ever seen at a Q Cup final.
It was an experiment. It failed. Hopefully they learn. Can't let it take away from a good, tense game though.

Big Pete

Referee
They did it the hard way. Up 20-8 with 20 to go, Easts discipline nearly cost them as they gave Burleigh shot after shot. In the end it's come down to a botched put-down by Tony Francis and some questionable options from Guy Hamilton in the clutch. I wonder if Tyrone Roberts was virtually a passenger after hurting his shoulder which is why Hamilton felt he had to kick his team to victory?

Still, had Hamilton gone through the hands and found Kini who was scintellating it looked like Francis would have had his forth.

Easts were fortunate to have 12 on the field at the end, how Ryley Jacks managed to stay on despite a professional foul is mind boggling.

Still, it was great to see the Tigers finally end their drought. Jonah Pezet in particular really stood up and came up with some fantastic options in the dying stages.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Tigers win 22-18, Bears 4 tries to three, very ordinary goal kicking cost Burleigh tonight.
Hamilton throws intercept arghh, only needed a short pass to Kini who was in untouched, that’s footy I guess.

MRN

Juniors
Tigers win 22-18, Bears 4 tries to three, very ordinary goal kicking cost Burleigh tonight.
Hamilton throws intercept arghh, only needed a short pass to Kini who was in untouched, that’s footy I guess.
Bears v Bears dream is over. Noooo.

Brutus

Referee
Hamilton may have been a bit pass shy after that intercept, hence the silly kick.

Great game and well done Tigers breaking the drought. We've had some good GF's over the last few years.

So when did the Tigers drop their traditional Waltzing Matilda/mighty Tigers song for the Richmond theme song? I know the Richmond one is more catchy, but it's another team's song. Yellow and Black lol

Fox gave it the full coverage which was good.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
What a joke.

The showpiece of the year and you get that standard from the officials. Burleigh has two tries disallowed in the first half for a knock on that clearly went backwards and for some invisible obstruction in the other one.

Tristan Hope is penalised for a illegal tackle early, follows up getting placed on report for two separate incidents and stays on the field. The Easts kicker clearly time wasting in the penalty shot and the clock is never stopped. Repeated professional fouls in the last five minutes, nobody marched and the clock not stopped until four seconds left.