What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Ladder Predictions

yobbo84

Coach
One thing getting very little attention in all this is the possibility of roosters/souths winner overtaking canberra with their horrible F/A. If they lose both games (Brisbane and sharks) then that is exactly what will happen.

Roosters do still need to beat tigers for this scenario though.
TBH I hate to say it but I think you win the next two by decent margins, probably finals week 1 too but then lose to the (likely) Storm in week 2 of the finals.

Valheru

Coach
I thought this was what would happen before this weekend but it can only happen now if Cowboys win their last 2 because Souths lost. The maximum points those two teams can get to now are:

Souths 32
Roosters 30
Or
Roosters 32
Souths 30

So the only way Raiders (32) get pushed out on F/A is if Cowboys (28) win both their games too.
Yes true raiders wouldn't miss the 8 but roosters/souths would finish above them on F/A. Loser would miss the 8 with cowboys

bazza

Immortal
One thing getting very little attention in all this is the possibility of roosters/souths winner overtaking canberra with their horrible F/A. If they lose both games (Brisbane and sharks) then that is exactly what will happen.

Roosters do still need to beat tigers for this scenario though.
If Roosters win the next week and canberra drop both remaining games - then Canberra will get overtaken by the winner of Roosters/Souths

Canberra are safe if they
a. beat Broncos/Sharks
b. Cowboys don't beat both Dolphins and Penrith

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
But the raiders will finish 7th or 8th. I don't see the Raiders beating the Bronco's again. Sharks seem to have turned the corner and should account for them. So I don't see the Raiders winning again.

Knights have Sharks and Dragons, and on current form, you'd think they will win one of those 2 to jump ahead into 6th place. Even the Rabbits, Roosters and Cowboys have an opportunity to jump the Raiders if they win out.
If the Raiders don’t win again they’ll more likely be 8th or 9th due the their terrible for and against

Woody90

Juniors
Disagree

I said it in the roosters thread and I'm prepared to live by it, roosters on form will beat any team finishing 5-8 at any venue, just have to get there.

The Roosters are the one team who’s form I’m having trouble gaging. They definitely look improved, but also their wins have all been against bottom 8 teams whose form was already on a downward spiral when they played them. Can definitely see them beating Tigers and Souths to make it, but saying they will beat anyone they play in week 1 is something else. Not saying they can’t, but they haven’t been competitive against the better teams this year.

bazza

Immortal
The Roosters are the one team who’s form I’m having trouble gaging. They definitely look improved, but also their wins have all been against bottom 8 teams whose form was already on a downward spiral when they played them. Can definitely see them beating Tigers and Souths to make it, but saying they will beat anyone they play in week 1 is something else. Not saying they can’t, but they haven’t been competitive against the better teams this year.
true - their round 16 win against Newcastle was their most recent win against the current contenders
Since then losses to Manly, Canberra, Storm and Brisbane

Their current streak has been against Manly, Dolphins and Parra. Though they seem to have the edge on the Warriors with 2 wins

Woody90

Juniors
true - their round 16 win against Newcastle was their most recent win against the current contenders
Since then losses to Manly, Canberra, Storm and Brisbane

Their current streak has been against Manly, Dolphins and Parra. Though they seem to have the edge on the Warriors with 2 wins

The Knights were also in terrible form at that time, and it was one of their 2 worst games this season…so they definitely weren’t one of the better teams when the Roosters played them.

The Roosters have no doubt improved somewhat since then too, but I’m really struggling to work out where they’re at considering it’s hard to gage their form in 3 wins over teams already on the slide. Dolphins and Parra in particular wanted the season over a month ago.

yobbo84

Coach
It's pretty wild to think that 3 of the 4 prelim finalists last year are likely to miss out on the finals.

mongoose

Coach
Pretty shocked how badly Souths have faded, they smashed Penrith and Brisbane before origin now could miss out on finals altogether.

Someguy

First Grade
Pretty shocked how badly Souths have faded, they smashed Penrith and Brisbane before origin now could miss out on finals altogether.

rumours coming out that the coach holding different players to different standards is to blame, liking a post that bags out players is probably also not a good showing

mongoose

Coach
Sharks are probably safe because of their good F&A

If Raiders win they can finish as high as 5th, if they lose they would need the Panthers to beat the Cowboys to come 8th.

Rabbitohs vs Roosters is a huge game- whoever wins will probably play finals, whoever loses will miss out. However roosters still need a few results to go there way - Canberra and Cowboys losing

Cowboys need to beat the Panthers but could still miss out if results don't go there way.

Valheru

Coach
Sharks are probably safe because of their good F&A

If Raiders win they can finish as high as 5th, if they lose they would need the Panthers to beat the Cowboys to come 8th.

Rabbitohs vs Roosters is a huge game- whoever wins will probably play finals, whoever loses will miss out. However roosters still need a few results to go there way - Canberra and Cowboys losing

Cowboys need to beat the Panthers but could still miss out if results don't go there way.

Roosters would only need one of those results to go their way to make it.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Over the years it’s shown an average of 3 teams drop out each year. 1 from the top 4 and 2 from 5-8. There’s always one team that spirals down the ladder ( Manly) and one which comes from nowhere (NQ).

Like clockwork. 3 out, 3 in. Difference this year was 2 from last years top 4 and 1 from 5-8

Congrats to the Warriors on being the come from nowhere team

Are the rabbits really a lock. Haven’t been going well for a while. Have Broncos next and then Tigers (who can lift for a game against the 1909 thieves). Than the Sharks. A few easy games and then finally with the Roosters (who will lift).
You can see a path to them only getting 30 points.

You can also see a path to them getting 36 and knocking on the door of the top 4.
I don’t usually get many right, so wanted to bump this one up…