What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 - Oceania Tri-Nations (Pacific Championship)

Brian potter

Bench
I just watched Mals interview and he said the Kiwis will play Samoa at Eden Park
Kangaroos vs Samoa Townsville
Kangaroos vs kiwis Melbourne Aami Stadium
Last game will be a final out of the top 2 teams
Where’s the final being played?

Clarkent

Juniors
They need to sort out a Samoa vs Tonga match before the tongans fly off to England. The fact that these two rivals hasn't got a game against each other for the next few years is a joke. They can sell out any stadium and has the biggest fans outside of Australia and New Zealand

yakstorm

First Grade
I know Townsville has a new stadium, and I'm sure the NRL promised the Queensland government at some point that they would take a Test match there, but it feels like a waste hosting Australia v Samoa there.

Play that match in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne or Auckland and you'll have a strong Samoan contingent at the ground and can push towards a 30K+ crowd and try and build a rivalry between the two nations.

I'm sure the people of North Queensland will fill the venue and it will present really well, but it just feels like a missed opportunity.

yakstorm

First Grade
Tri Nations - players only play twice.
Four Nations - players play 3 times (plus 1 more for a final).
I wish we could go back to the old Tri-Nations structure, where every team played each other twice and then had a final.

It eliminates any doubt who is the top team in the tournament and gives everyone playing Australia the opportunity to improve.

Last edited:

Clarkent

Juniors
I know Townsville has a new stadium, and I'm sure the NRL promised the Queensland government at some point that they would take a Test match there, but it feels like a waste hosting Australia v Samoa there.

Play that match in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne or Auckland and you'll have a strong Samoan contingent at the ground and can push towards a 30K+ crowd and try and build a rivalry between the two nations.

I'm sure the people of North Queensland will fill the venue and it will present really well, but it just feels like a missed opportunity.
I agree. Playing the Kiwis vs Samoa game in Eden Park is a smart move. Kangaroos vs Samoa should've been played at Blue Bet stadium too. Samoa has a lot of panthers players and a huge samoan fan base there too

footyfan4life

Juniors
I’m
Yeah Tri-Nations seems kind of pointless when Fiji, PNG, even Lebanon, France, or Ireland if you want to open it up to teams outside of the pacific, could field reasonably competent teams.

There might be a significantly better business case behind a Tri-Nations on the other hand, but I'm pretty sure that you could sell the less desirable games in a Four Nations to smaller markets for a reasonable return, and that those matches would be well attended.

I'm sure places like e.g. Cairns, Bathurst, The Sunshine Coast, Darwin, etc, would jump at the chance to host international RL no matter who was playing, and that would be a win-win as it'd promote the game in regional areas that don't get enough attention and it'd give another nation game time, and potentially a little jingle in their pocket that they desperately need.
I’m not sure many people would care about a Samoa PNG game in Cairns 👍

siv

First Grade
Would have been easy to have PNG play

Lets see if they run a Oceania Shield of PNG, Fiji, Cook Is

The Great Dane

First Grade
I’m

I’m not sure many people would care about a Samoa PNG game in Cairns 👍
They would if they ever wanted to be taken seriously as a potential host for bigger events.

Besides, they aren't even at the point of hosting games as big as Samoa vs PNG. That would draw a decent crowd in Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, etc.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I wish we could go back to the old Tri-Nations structure, where every team played each other twice and then had a final.

It eliminates any doubt who is the top team in the tournament and gives everyone playing Australia the opportunity to improve.
Agreed, we went from a 7 game tri nations, to a 7 game four nations that was building some momentum and then scrapped it for a half-arsed four game tri nations.

Imagine if we didn't scrap it nearly 10 years ago. Following the 2017 and 2022 world cup successes of Tonga and then Samoa we could have expanded an already well established and successful tournament into a 6 nations.

yakstorm

First Grade
I honestly wasn't over the moon when they cut back the number of games each nation played for the Tri-Nations for the Four Nations. Original Tri-Nations meant every team played a minimum of 4 Tests in the tournament, plus the Final. In many tournaments, NZ & Australia played games in one of their 'bye' rounds, meaning they often played 5-6 games over the off-season.

Four Nations saw that drop down to 3 plus a Final. Now it's 2 and a Final (which at least is up from the Oceania Cup and it's 2 matches and no Final).

siv

First Grade
I like a 6 week IRL season, from last 2 weekends of October with final in last weekend of November

So that means 5 rounds and a final

Or 6 nations, or at a minimum 4 nations

In either case you will need a 2nd Tier 3 or 4 Nations with a promotion option

It seems it is a 6 nation competition.

Australia, New Zealand and PNG to host new Pacific Rugby League Championship​

Australia will play co-host to a six-country post-season rugby league tournament for the next two years, with the NRL’s biggest stars set to be involved.

August 16, 2023 - 5:00AM

Australia will play co-host to a six-country Pacific post-season rugby league tournament for the next two years following a $7 million federal funding injection to boost the level of competition in the region.
The Albanese Government will spend $7 million over the next two years to fund the end-of season tournament in partnership with the NRL, with the inaugural Pacific Rugby League Championship to feature men’s and women’s teams from Australia, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga, Papua New Guinea (PNG) and Cook Islands.
Strengthening ties with the Pacific through informal avenues like sport has become a major priority for Australia to counter rising Chinese influence in the region.
The government’s investment in the new tournament is also expected to deliver “high-performance pathways” for Pacific athletes, coaches, referees and administrators - all identified as necessary precursors to the region gaining a license to enter a Pasifika team in Australia’s regular NRL competition.
Games for the 2023 championship will be played in Australia, New Zealand and PNG between October 13 and November 4.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the tournament marked the beginning of an “exciting new phase” of international rugby league competition in the Pacific for both men and women.
“Geography makes us neighbours, but through sport we build strong and lasting ties across the Pacific family,” he said.
Australian Rugby League Commissioner Kate Jones said the championship would showcase the “best of international Rugby League” highlighted with both men’s and women’s matches.
“The Commission’s focus on growing the international game will combine with an equally strong desire to grow rugby league in the Pacific,” she said.
The $7m for the championship is part of an $89.5m four-year funding allocation in the 2023-24 budget to “deepen Pacific connections by strengthening cultural and people-to-people ties with the region and promote shared values”.

International Development and Pacific Minister Pat Conroy said the championships would provide a “unique opportunity” for athletes in the Pacific to play and develop professionally.

“(It) will inspire a generation of girls and boys,” he said.
“I’m proud that this partnership will enable Papua New Guinea to be a tournament co-host in 2023 and Fiji to co-host the competition in 2024.”
In May, Ms Jones joined a federal government trade mission to PNG, where she held talks in Port Moresby with local football officials about the prospect of a new Pasifika team, but she said at the time there remained a “lot of work to do” for the proposal to become a reality.

Vee

First Grade

Australia will play co-host to a six-country post-season rugby league tournament for the next two years, with the NRL’s biggest stars set to be involved.

Clare Armstrong

Australia will play co-host to a six-country Pacific post-season rugby league tournament for the next two years following a $7 million federal funding injection to boost the level of competition in the region.

The Albanese Government will spend $7 million over the next two years to fund the end-of season tournament in partnership with the NRL, with the inaugural Pacific Rugby League Championship to feature men’s and women’s teams from Australia, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga, Papua New Guinea (PNG) and Cook Islands.

Strengthening ties with the Pacific through informal avenues like sport has become a major priority for Australia to counter rising Chinese influence in the region. The government’s investment in the new tournament is also expected to deliver “high-performance pathways” for Pacific athletes, coaches, referees and administrators - all identified as necessary precursors to the region gaining a license to enter a Pasifika team in Australia’s regular NRL competition.

Games for the 2023 championship will be played in Australia, New Zealand and PNG between October 13 and November 4.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the tournament marked the beginning of an “exciting new phase” of international rugby league competition in the Pacific for both men and women. “Geography makes us neighbours, but through sport we build strong and lasting ties across the Pacific family,” he said.

Australian Rugby League Commissioner Kate Jones said the championship would showcase the “best of international Rugby League” highlighted with both men’s and women’s matches. “The Commission’s focus on growing the international game will combine with an equally strong desire to grow rugby league in the Pacific,” she said.

The $7m for the championship is part of an $89.5m four-year funding allocation in the 2023-24 budget to “deepen Pacific connections by strengthening cultural and people-to-people ties with the region and promote shared values”.

International Development and Pacific Minister Pat Conroy said the championships would provide a “unique opportunity” for athletes in the Pacific to play and develop professionally.

“(It) will inspire a generation of girls and boys,” he said. I’m proud that this partnership will enable Papua New Guinea to be a tournament co-host in 2023 and Fiji to co-host the competition in 2024.”

In May, Ms Jones joined a federal government trade mission to PNG, where she held talks in Port Moresby with local football officials about the prospect of a new Pasifika team, but she said at the time there remained a “lot of work to do” for the proposal to become a reality.

Clarkent

Juniors
It seems it is a 6 nation competition.

Australia, New Zealand and PNG to host new Pacific Rugby League Championship​

Strengthening ties with the Pacific through informal avenues like sport has become a major priority for Australia to counter rising Chinese influence in the region.
The government’s investment in the new tournament is also expected to deliver “high-performance pathways” for Pacific athletes, coaches, referees and administrators - all identified as necessary precursors to the region gaining a license to enter a Pasifika team in Australia’s regular NRL competition.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the tournament marked the beginning of an “exciting new phase” of international rugby league competition in the Pacific for both men and women.
“Geography makes us neighbours, but through sport we build strong and lasting ties across the Pacific family,” he said.
Australian Rugby League Commissioner Kate Jones said the championship would showcase the “best of international Rugby League” highlighted with both men’s and women’s matches.
“The Commission’s focus on growing the international game will combine with an equally strong desire to grow rugby league in the Pacific,” she said.

“(It) will inspire a generation of girls and boys,” he said.
“I’m proud that this partnership will enable Papua New Guinea to be a tournament co-host in 2023 and Fiji to co-host the competition in 2024.”

Man so is it a tri-nations this year or a 6 nations?

yakstorm

First Grade
It's two Tri-Nations. Draw is on nzrl.co.nz

Week One – October 14-15
Australia v Samoa (men) and Australia v New Zealand (women) at Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville
PNG v Cook Islands (men) and Samoa v Fiji (women) at Santos Stadium, Port Moresby

Week Two – October 21-22
New Zealand v Samoa (men), New Zealand v Tonga (women), and NZ Kiwis A v Tonga A (men) at Eden Park, Auckland
Fiji v Cook Islands (men) and PNG v Cook Islands (women) at Santos Stadium, Port Moresby

Week Three – October 28-29
Australia v New Zealand (men and women) at AAMI Park, Melbourne
PNG v Fiji (men) at Santos Stadium, Port Moresby
Week Four – November 4-5

The Final of the men’s Pacific Cup tournament on November 4 in Hamilton, New Zealand
The Final of the men’s Pacific Bowl tournament on November 5 at Santos Stadium, Port Moresby

Latest posts