What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 - Oceania Tri-Nations (Pacific Championship)

Burns

First Grade
Do not understand why you would have the final in Hamilton of all places, and not say; Auckland at Mt Smart.

Also, minor gripe but this is just another ‘new tournament’. We had pretty much the same format in 2019 with the Oceanic Cup that had Pool A and Pool B with promotion/relegation.

The lack of continuity does more harm than anything I think.

yakstorm

First Grade
So they did announce there will be a Pacific Championship in 2024 as well, but no details around what happens with Tonga being back and if there will be any promotion/relegation between the Championship & Bowl.

Interesting to see Tonga rolling out an A team this off season, in addition to a touring squad. Nice seeing steps being taken to build depth.

It says they will co-host in 2024.

The article is a bit off I think. Fiji should be there and Tonga won’t be involved this year. I’m guessing next year one of the 7 will tour England or bottom of tier 2 will sit it out.
Yeah I think it's a little off too, but the Tongan women will participate so Tonga is involved still.

The Partisan

This and the work on junior pathways is a much better option than a PNG NRL team atm.
Agree. Strengthening the various tiers on the domestic scene.. with regular international / higher level competition... is the option I want in PNG. Samoa v PNG at school boy level etc.

Clarkent

Juniors
It says they will co-host in 2024.

The article is a bit off I think. Fiji should be there and Tonga won’t be involved this year. I’m guessing next year one of the 7 will tour England or bottom of tier 2 will sit it out.
I just read on the nrl website Tonga will probably join next season and one of the nation's will travel to England instead

bazza

Immortal
I just read on the nrl website Tonga will probably join next season and one of the nation's will travel to England instead
from previous announcements, Australia to tour England in 2025
Also NZ to tour in 2027 and Australia again in 2028
Perhaps NZ tour England in 2024 and tri series between Aus, Samoa and Tonga

Last Week

Bench
International matches are better than no international matches, but this is half arsed.

For this year, Australia PMXIII vs PNG will be their 'warm up', Tonga SHOULD play Samoa before they leave for England, NZ SHOULD play Fiji before these 'tournaments' commence.

They won't put any more effort in so the above won't happen, but they should.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Good question… One of the huge negative aspects of the 2013, 2017 and 2021 rugby league World Cups was that they were not covered in any way by Nine … So instead of all season the channel 9 commentary and coverage constantly mentioning the World Cup and giving it a huge build up, they just ignored it!

The Partisan

The fact that there is no game v New Zealand in Sydney for Australia leads me to believe the Kangaroos haven't played the Kiwis or England in Sydney since mid 2014 ! (If my check of the Rugby League Project is accurate!)

Their two oldest and most traditional rivals not sighted in the harbour city in nearly a decade 😐

Perth Red

Post Whore
Schedule and venues are out. Calling it the Pacific Cup and the Pacific Bowl (wtf?)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Venues

Pacific Bowl
All games at National stadium Port Moresby 14,800

Pacific Cup
Townsville 25,000
Eden Park 50,000
AAMI Park 30,000
Hamilton 25,800

Interesting choice for the final. Id have thought theyd have been better with a pool game in Hamilton and the final at Eden Park?