What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 - Oceania Tri-Nations (Pacific Championship)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Pacific Championship Ticket prices
AAMI Park (Adult and Jnr)
Behind sticks $35 & $25
mid $65 & $55
best $95 & $85
+ $6.30 booking fee

Townsville
Behind sticks $60 & $55
mid $75 & $65
best $95 & $85
+ $5.95 booking fee

NZ venues and PNG venue TBC

Perth Red

Post Whore
The women's games are being held same venues and days as the mens games in a double header scenario.

Womens championship
Oct 14th Jillaroos v NZ NQ
Oct 21st NZ v Tonga Eden Park
Oct 28th Jillaroos v ?Tonga (they are showing as this v NZ again on the schedule?) AAMI park

Billythekid

First Grade
Whilst this definitely isn’t the format I’d go for I just hope it gets good crowds and ratings to encourage future international games. I’m sceptical but hopeful.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whilst this definitely isn’t the format I’d go for I just hope it gets good crowds and ratings to encourage future international games. I’m sceptical but hopeful.
They've priced the good seats at a very high mark for the Australian games (why they charge so much for kids in games unlikely to come close to sell outs is beyond me!).
Be interesting to see how it goes.

yakstorm

First Grade
The women's games are being held same venues and days as the mens games in a double header scenario.

Womens championship
Oct 14th Jillaroos v NZ NQ
Oct 21st NZ v Tonga Eden Park
Oct 28th Jillaroos v ?Tonga (they are showing as this v NZ again on the schedule?) AAMI park
Jillaroos are playing Kiwi Ferns twice... Not sure why it's called a Championship, it's really a 2 test series between Australia and NZ, and Tonga gets the 'bye' game against the Kiwi Ferns.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Jillaroos are playing Kiwi Ferns twice... Not sure why it's called a Championship, it's really a 2 test series between Australia and NZ, and Tonga gets the 'bye' game against the Kiwi Ferns.
Is there a reason australia are not playing Tonga in women’s?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Nothing is ever logical, simple and straightforward in rugby league, is it?
They do get it right sometimes mate.

"Either way, George said it was his gut feel that the NRL would stick to the same 4pm (AEST time), which is 6pm in New Zealand, in order to maximise TV viewership.

“They’ve (NRL) obviously made that decision for the New Zealand viewers.

“Us (Warriors) kicking-off at the later time of 7.50pm in Australia (9.50pm NZ), we’d lose so many viewers in New Zealand.

The NRL and the broadcasters have made an unbelievable decision that is going to help the game no-end in New Zealand with that earlier timeslot this week."

yakstorm

First Grade
Is there a reason australia are not playing Tonga in women’s?
Simply put, because the NRL is running these events. The NRL committed to giving the Jillaroos and Kiwi Ferns a minimum of 2x Tests this year (which they have done), the NZRL, on their own accord, organised the Tonga match (and if Tonga wasn't available, they were going to play Samoa) to ensure the Kiwi Ferns would play at least one match at home.

If the IRL or APRL was running these (or even involved in these), then maybe some sort of Pacific Championship could have been organised.

Such a waste really, I mean you have Samoa and Fiji women flying to Port Moresby to play a match, and will be in the country for about a week, and yet neither of them will play PNG. The cost to keep the teams there for a few extra day to play another 2 matches on either side would have been minimal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Prime Ministers speech committing $7mill over 2 years to fund the compeitions.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Simply put, because the NRL is running these events. The NRL committed to giving the Jillaroos and Kiwi Ferns a minimum of 2x Tests this year (which they have done), the NZRL, on their own accord, organised the Tonga match (and if Tonga wasn't available, they were going to play Samoa) to ensure the Kiwi Ferns would play at least one match at home.

If the IRL or APRL was running these (or even involved in these), then maybe some sort of Pacific Championship could have been organised.

Such a waste really, I mean you have Samoa and Fiji women flying to Port Moresby to play a match, and will be in the country for about a week, and yet neither of them will play PNG. The cost to keep the teams there for a few extra day to play another 2 matches on either side would have been minimal.
As mentioned by me above, nothing is ever logical, simple and straightforward in rugby league, is it?

Meanwhile, the Rah-Rah WC goes from strength to strength while making squllions in profits … one can only admire how they do it.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
This is V`andy`s specialty; getting other people to pay for things.

Prime Ministers speech committing $7mill over 2 years to fund the competitions.

Very noice.

Brian potter

First Grade
Any guesses on potential squad picks for both Fiji and PNG?

any heritage players putting their hands up for selection or players from the Queensland and NSW cups?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You'd think they'd have named them by now given season is over and players need to either be on holiday or still training!

Clarkent

Juniors
Any guesses on potential squad picks for both Fiji and PNG?

any heritage players putting their hands up for selection or players from the Queensland and NSW cups?
I heard on James Graham podcast that the Kiwis approached Siua Wong. I don't know if he accepted the offer tho. I hope not because fiji needs him more

Clarkent

Juniors
Any news on the Toa Samoa head coach? Last I heard there were 3 candidates for the role and that well find out in a week who got it. That was 3 weeks ago.....

Brian potter

First Grade
I heard on James Graham podcast that the Kiwis approached Siua Wong. I don't know if he accepted the offer tho. I hope not because fiji needs him more
I agree but this is always going to be the problem with heritage players when the tier1 nations come a calling Unfortunately.

RedVee_8

Juniors
Sydney SMH paper this morning have him eligible for Australia, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga and Fiji.
It will be interesting to see which way/s he goes

Latest posts