What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 - Oceania Tri-Nations (Pacific Championship)

Clarkent

Juniors
images (1).jpeg
Ben Gardiner rumored to be the next Head Coach for Toa Samoa. Hes currently with the Penrith Panthers, Which is good because most of the Samoan team is from the panthers system. Anyone know if he's a good coach?

Burns

First Grade
Anyone have access to the article in the Daily Telegraph on the likely teams for end of the year?
Looks like Staggs might play for Australia over Tonga, and Fiji have a lot of players who are out?

Matua

Bench
I see DWZ is playing for Tonga over the Kiwis team
Is he? f**k him, he's dead to me now. Now I dislike more than just for his haircut.

I heard on James Graham podcast that the Kiwis approached Siua Wong. I don't know if he accepted the offer tho. I hope not because fiji needs him more
Why are you making out like this is skullduggery, he's a born and bred NZer until the Aussie scholarshipped him. We need all the players we can get with you PI's poaching all our players. ;)

Clarkent

Juniors
Is he? f**k him, he's dead to me now. Now I dislike more than just for his haircut.

Why are you making out like this is skullduggery, he's a born and bred NZer until the Aussie scholarshipped him. We need all the players we can get with you PI's poaching all our players. ;)
DWZ finally hit his prime and told the Kiwis "shove it up your a**" 😏😂 kiwis have depth on the wings anyways. Isaako and Mulitalo should be the starting wingers, but then both might turn the Kiwis jersey down for samoa 😉

taste2taste

Juniors
I see DWZ is playing for Tonga over the Kiwis team
Maybe DWZ wants an all expenses paid trip to England ? Besides, would he have made the NZ team ?

I saw the Hammer say his preference is the Kangaroos, not sure he'll make the Roos but wouldn't be a big loss, Samoa's backline is stacked.

Staggs would be a big loss to Tonga.

taste2taste

Juniors
International musical chairs.

mickey mouse sport.
Havnt Rugby introduced a similar rule ? In this world cup I've seen a few former All Blacks and Wallabies playing for the islands.

Scotland ( or maybe it was Ireland? ) were being critised recently for fielding a backline made up of players who weren't born in the country.

Clarkent

Juniors
Maybe DWZ wants an all expenses paid trip to England ? Besides, would he have made the NZ team ?

I saw the Hammer say his preference is the Kangaroos, not sure he'll make the Roos but wouldn't be a big loss, Samoa's backline is stacked.

Staggs would be a big loss to Tonga.
DWZ would've definitely made that kiwis team. He has been one of the best wingers in the nrl this year.

The Hammer will definitely have a lot of competition for that center spot now that Staggs wants to play for the kangaroos. But I think he'll sneak in tbh

Clarkent

Juniors
Anyone have access to the article in the Daily Telegraph on the likely teams for end of the year?
Looks like Staggs might play for Australia over Tonga, and Fiji have a lot of players who are out?
Brisbane duo Selwyn Cobbo and Kotoni Staggs are in line for a Kangaroos debut as a host of spots go on the line in Sunday’s grand final clash.
Staggs has previously pledged his allegiance to Tonga but there is a push for the in-form centre to potentially put his hand up to be a Kangaroo.

Valentine Holmes is also eligible for selection despite being whacked with a one-game ban after he posted himself with a bag of white powder. It will be up to the Australian selectors if they want to carry Holmes despite his unavailability for the opener against Samoa.

The likes of Cobbo, Staggs, Dylan Edwards and Thomas Flegler are also in the mix.

“There is a whole heap of players up for selection who are playing on Sunday,” Meninga said. ”There is enough motivation trying to win a grand final. The cream comes from playing well.”

Meninga insisted Kalyn Ponga‘s Dally M medal win had not altered his standing because he was always in the mix.

“He has always been in the conversation,” Meninga said.

“The Dally M doesn‘t affect that. We know how good a player he is. Fitting them all in is going to be hard.

“It is the ongoing dilemma.”

Nat Butcher and Hudson Young are also in the mix.

World Cup winners Angus Crichton and Reagan Campbell-Gillard are expected to be overlooked.

Australia will only pick 20-players with about two spots remaining open.

Potential squad

James Tedesco, Josh Addo-Carr, Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow/Valentine Holmes/ Kotoni Staggs, Selwyn Cobbo/Murray Taulagi, Cameron Munster, Nathan Cleary, Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, Ben Hunt, Payne Haas, Liam Martin, Cameron Murray, Isaah Yeo, Harry Grant, Pat Carrigan, Lindsay Collins, Jake Trbojevic, Reuben Cotter, Daly Cherry-Evans, Tom Flegler/Nat Butcher/Hudson Young.

NEW ZEALAND

The Kiwis hooking stocks have taken a major blow with New Zealand scrambling to find a serviceable dummy half after Brandon Smith (hand) was ruled out.

Potential bolter Phoenix Crossland also likely to be unavailable after playing out Newcastle's finals loss to the Warriors with a knee injury. Jeremy Marshall-King, Kodi Nikorima and Te Maire Martin are all out.

The Kiwis will be forced to find a makeshift hooker with halves including Dylan Brown or Kieran Foran among the options or look to someone like Fa’amanu Brown.

Shaun Johnson also won’t play which could draw to a close his international career.

The likes of Leo Thompson, Matt Timoko and Will Warbrick are expected to be picked and are in line to make their first Test. Dally M winger of the year Jamayne Isaako is also likely to play his first Test for the Kiwis since 2019.

TONGA

Newcastle veteran Tyson Frizell is set to be a surprise inclusion in the Tongan squad for the end of season tour after putting his hand up to play. While Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has also informed Tonga and New Zealand that his preference will be to play for Tonga. Watene-Zelezniak is battling a shoulder injury and needs medical clearance before he is given the go-ahead to tour. He was in career best form for the Warriors this year and would have been picked for the Kiwis to add to his 13 Tests.

Frizell is also likely to be picked provided he too gets through a medical for the historic Tongan tour of England at the end of the year. Frizell has declared his interest in playing for Tonga. Remarkably, it will be the third country Frizell will represent at the international level.

He was part of Australia’s 2017 winning World Cup team and played 14 matches in the green and gold. Before that though he played five Tests for Wales. Rising Roosters star Siua Wong has opted to play for Tonga.

Tonga’s forward pack will be world class with Addin Fonua-Blake, Moeaki Fotuaika, Felise Kaufusi, Jason Taumalolo, Keaon Koloamatangi, Haumole Olakau‘atu, Eliesa Katoa and Junior Tatola all expected to tour. David Fifita has been ruled out as has Soni Luke.

The backline will include Will Penisni, Moses Suli and Talatau Koula. The halves will be Tui Lolohea and Isaiya Katoa. Talatau Amone is expected to be unavailable because of his October 18 court case.

SAMOA

Wests Tigers youngster Stefano Utoikamanu will make his international debut after declaring his allegiance for Samoa. Utoikamanu made his Origin debut this year. Broncos forward Keenan Palasia is also likely to play. Injuries will rule Jarome Luai and Josh Papalii out but Luai’s Penrith teammates Stephen Crichton, Brian To’o and Spencer Leniu are likely to play.

PNG

The Kumuls are hoping all their NRL players including Alex Johnston, Justin Olam, Dan Russell and Xavier Coates will play although Coates and Olam are under injury clouds. Olam could miss the first game but feature in game two of the tournament. Super League players Lachie Lam, Rhyse Martin and Edwin Ipape should play some part.

FIJI

It is some mixed news for the Bath. Boom Tigers youngster Jahream Bula will make his Test debut but his teammate Api Koroisau is in extreme doubt because of an ongoing calf complaint. Viliame Kikau has also withdrawn. Wingers Taane Milne and Mikaele Ravalawa should play.

COOK ISLANDS

Brisbane’s Brandon Piakura should headline the squad should he come through the grand final unscathed. Others including Davvy Moale, Tepai Moeroa, Zane Tetevano, Esan Marsters and Kayal Iro are expected to play. Former Kangaroo Karmichael Hunt will assist head coach Tony Iro.

Burns

First Grade
Australia by 20+ in both games.

NZ won’t have a 9 and Samoa a 7 with Luai out.

Tonga doing pretty well, still curious to see if all those players do travel over to England.

Where to star for Fiji? They have never got close to having their eligible players even remotely interested.

jim_57

Staff member

Tonga doing pretty well, still curious to see if all those players do travel over to England.

Where to star for Fiji? They have never got close to having their eligible players even remotely interested.

Was always going to happen when they get left in tier 2 with nothing really on the line. Fiji have been continuously shafted for any big games outside of World Cup years, World Cups come along and the put in very good results that are quickly forgotten about.

taste2taste

Juniors
Article in today's Telegraph that Stephen Critchon will get a call up for the Roos if he wants the jersey.

Anyone know what happened with International player payments with the RLPA ? Are all countries paid equally ?

It would always give the Roos an advantage if they can offer players way more $$

taste2taste

Juniors

That's the problem with end of season tests, there's zero chance any team can field a full strength team.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Article in today's Telegraph that Stephen Critchon will get a call up for the Roos if he wants the jersey.

Anyone know what happened with International player payments with the RLPA ? Are all countries paid equally ?

It would always give the Roos an advantage if they can offer players way more $$
Everyone is paid the same mate. btw, which I think is brilliant.

Brian potter

First Grade
International defections and injuries mean Aussies will win the tri-nations at a canter for me unfortunately.

was really looking forward to this tournament as well.

international RL 😔😔