What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 - Oceania Tri-Nations (Pacific Championship)

wain

Juniors
I can’t help but think they made these two pacific comps totally confusing in structure to the non-hardcore fans. I’ve had to look at it a couple of times to get my head around it. Seems like they just chucked a bunch of games together with no thought on building a worthwhile product and end goal.
we’ve got teams only play every second week due to byes, some double headers, different women’s teams, some women’s matches are curtain raisers while others are different teams, etc. and then the final in Hamilton?

seriously, could have put all 6 teams in one comp. 3 games a week, with Aus, nz and png remaining as hosts. 5 weeks with no final…or could go a 6th week with top 2 final. Women’s matches as curtain raisers with same two teams. (obv that would mean Tongan women miss out…would’ve been great if the could tour eng with the men.)

how much clearer and worthwhile would that be explaining to viewers when they settle in on game night?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can’t help but think they made these two pacific comps totally confusing in structure to the non-hardcore fans. I’ve had to look at it a couple of times to get my head around it. Seems like they just chucked a bunch of games together with no thought on building a worthwhile product and end goal.
we’ve got teams only play every second week due to byes, some double headers, different women’s teams, some women’s matches are curtain raisers while others are different teams, etc. and then the final in Hamilton?

seriously, could have put all 6 teams in one comp. 3 games a week, with Aus, nz and png remaining as hosts. 5 weeks with no final…or could go a 6th week with top 2 final. Women’s matches as curtain raisers with same two teams. (obv that would mean Tongan women miss out…would’ve been great if the could tour eng with the men.)

how much clearer and worthwhile would that be explaining to viewers when they settle in on game night?
Tbf watching Cook Islands and png get flogged by 4 of the other teams isn’t compelling viewing. At least this way the pacific bowl (dumb yank name!) is all in Port Moresby which has to be good for the game there and the govt funding And every game should be competitive.

Brian potter

First Grade
Aussie will pump Samoa and deal with NZ easily looking at those squads.

nice to see Keano kini getting selected for the kiwis though.

Clarkent

Juniors
Aussie will pump Samoa and deal with NZ easily looking at those squads.

nice to see Keano kini getting selected for the kiwis though.
Everyone said the same thing before the last world cup final and that samoan team ran with there 3rd choice hooker, and they ended up with no hooker for most of that game. They also had most of their front rowers in the forward pack because they ran out of second rowers. This Samoan team has the potential to beat the Kiwis and kangaroos

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Valentine Holmes getting picked is a disgrace. Mal deserves all the criticism he gets for picking him.

Putting on the Kangaroo jersey should be prestigious and a privilege. You throw the right away for that season if have an off-field indiscretion that means you are serving a suspension when teams are selected.

By all means he shouldn't be banned for life but seriously this year should have been straight up no not picking you.

Its devalued the Australian jersey for mine
I thought exactly the same thing, Addo-Carr as well, Mal isn`t the sharpest tool in the shed, we finally get a multi-national front of shirt sponsor for the Kangaroos and Mal does this. What a message. Braindead.

jim_57

Staff member
NZ don’t look too bad, weak options at hooker but Foran can do a job there.

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Mulitalo
3. Manu
4. Timoko
5. Isaako
6. D Brown
7. Hughes
8. Fisher-Harris
9. Foran
10. Leota
11. Nikora
12. Papali’i
13. Tapine
14. Levi/F Brown/Kini
15. Asofa-Solomona
16. Neame
17. Thompson/Greig/White

Still capable of beating Kangaroos on their day, especially with Cleary out. Good opportunity to debut some players.

Last edited:

isaiah

Bench

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Mulitalo
3. Manu
4. Timoko
5. Isaako
6. D Brown
7. Hughes
8. Fisher-Harris
9. Foran
10. Leota
11. Nikora
12. Papali’i
13. Tapine
14. Levi/F Brown/Kini
15. Asofa-Solomona
16. Neame
17. Thompson/Greig/White

Still capable of beating Kangaroos on their day, especially with Cleary out. Good opportunity to debut some players.
Weak on one wing. Just for his kicking

Last Week

Bench
Surprised Shaun Johnson didn't get a call up. Would be a good swansong in the Kiwis jersey for him, and he's had some great moments in the black and white.

Rod

Bench
Apologies as I'm sure this has been discussed at length already, but what is the deal with eligibility now? Frizell can play for Samoa and I assume not jeapordize his Origin spot?

RedVee_8

Juniors
Apologies as I'm sure this has been discussed at length already, but what is the deal with eligibility now? Frizell can play for Samoa and I assume not jeapordize his Origin spot?
Correct. This change happened a few years ago.
I was more surprised that he can move from Wales as his Tier 2 country to Tonga. His Tier 1 country remains as Australia.

Rod

Bench
Sorry yes Tonga. Ok so basically every international player can play Origin except for NZ and England players?

RedVee_8

Juniors
Sorry yes Tonga. Ok so basically every international player can play Origin except for NZ and England players?
Correct. As long as they qualify for either NSW or Qld (which isn’t always necessary for Aust representation)

Clarkent

Juniors

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Mulitalo
3. Manu
4. Timoko
5. Isaako
6. D Brown
7. Hughes
8. Fisher-Harris
9. Foran
10. Leota
11. Nikora
12. Papali’i
13. Tapine
14. Levi/F Brown/Kini
15. Asofa-Solomona
16. Neame
17. Thompson/Greig/White

Kiwis backline might be the weakest out of the 3 nations tbh. Foward pack is solid. Papali'is been quiet this season, that could be due to the Tigers poor season and the Kiwis bench isn't that strong compared to the kangaroos and Samoa. Kiwis have to rely heavily on the halves, something Samoa lacks.

Clarkent

Juniors

1. Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Mulitalo
3. Manu
4. Timoko
5. Isaako
6. D Brown
7. Hughes
8. Fisher-Harris
9. Foran
10. Leota
11. Nikora
12. Papali’i
13. Tapine
14. Levi/F Brown/Kini
15. Asofa-Solomona
16. Neame
17. Thompson/Greig/White

1 Stephen Critchon
2 Brian To'o
3 Izack Tago
4 Murray Taulagi
5 Greg Marzhew
6 Karl Oloapu
7 Daejarn Asi
8 Junior Paulo
9 Gordon Chan Kum Tong
10 Royce Hunt
11 Heilum Luki
12 Conelly Lemuelu