What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 - Oceania Tri-Nations (Pacific Championship)

Clarkent

Juniors
Really? I had a look on his instagram but didn't see the post. TBF I probably don't know how to work instagram properly.

Did discover he's Chch born and raised, not sure why I thought he was an Aussie.
He put it up on his instagram story yesterday. It's only up for 24 hours and than it's gone

Clarkent

Juniors
I checked out the Kiwis squad post on insta, some salty Samoan fans flooding the comments section. ;)
I'm not surprised one bit but the same goes for the Kiwis when Taumalolo switched over... the Ki is in the WI 😉. The Tongans team tho looks more loyal than the samoan tbh. Maybe the samoan team hasn't got that "Taumalolo" type player yet *cough* Haas *cough*

Clarkent

Juniors
FWIW (nothing) Taulagi is currently top of my weak-gutted dog list. Imagine being a full-blown Kiwi but you want to play for Samoa AND Australia

….of course we also have a winger who tried to do the exact same thing but I try to ignore that now
Don't forget Leota also went to the Kiwis when he found out last minute he wasn't eligible for nsw after his primary school spilled the beans on him

Matua

Bench
I'm not surprised one bit but the same goes for the Kiwis when Taumalolo switched over... the Ki is in the WI 😉. The Tongans team tho looks more loyal than the samoan tbh. Maybe the samoan team hasn't got that "Taumalolo" type player yet *cough* Haas *cough*
Taumalolo's main issues were that he only went because he had a disagreement with the current coach and he did it after he had said he was playing for NZ. In all honesty I don't care who a player plays for if they're straight up about it, but JT was dishonest, DWZ is seeming a bit dishonest too, he's been on a bunch of Kiwis marketing this year, he should have opted out if he was going to Tonga. Oh, add to that any born and bred NZer who chooses a PI team so they can play Origin too can F-off as well. But with the current rules that shouldn't be happening to often as kids aren't getting scholarshipped to Oz at 12 years old.

Clarkent

Juniors
Taumalolo's main issues were that he only went because he had a disagreement with the current coach and he did it after he had said he was playing for NZ. In all honesty I don't care who a player plays for if they're straight up about it, but JT was dishonest, DWZ is seeming a bit dishonest too, he's been on a bunch of Kiwis marketing this year, he should have opted out if he was going to Tonga. Oh, add to that any born and bred NZer who chooses a PI team so they can play Origin too can F-off as well. But with the current rules that shouldn't be happening to often as kids aren't getting scholarshipped to Oz at 12 years old.
I think JT had enough when the coach put him on the bench for the whole 2nd half and when the reporter asked the coach why? He said he forgot he was on the bench. Which is all BS because there was more to it. The only way for the international game to grow is that I hope the Kiwis and Samoa beat the 💩 out of the kangaroos this tournament.

Like it or don't JT and Fifita are the reason why the international games competitive.

Matua

Bench
I think JT had enough when the coach put him on the bench for the whole 2nd half and when the reporter asked the coach why? He said he forgot he was on the bench. Which is all BS because there was more to it. The only way for the international game to grow is that I hope the Kiwis and Samoa beat the 💩 out of the kangaroos this tournament.

Like it or don't JT and Fifita are the reason why the international games competitive.
Kidwell was an idiot, that's inarguable. But TBH, looking at that current Tongan team I'd only take Fonua-Blake of the NZ eligible players (maybe Wong on potential, but the way he's going through teams he's likely to play for us next year anyway, and maybe Katoa if he can play hooker).

The international game is growing at the expense of NZ and that weakens the chances of beating Oz.

The Kiwis had a genuine chance at the RLWC last year and a dodgy ref call and a Rapana big toe being inches over in front put paid to that. I don't think either of us will beat the Roos this year.

Clarkent

Juniors
Kidwell was an idiot, that's inarguable. But TBH, looking at that current Tongan team I'd only take Fonua-Blake of the NZ eligible players (maybe Wong on potential, but the way he's going through teams he's likely to play for us next year anyway, and maybe Katoa if he can play hooker).

The international game is growing at the expense of NZ and that weakens the chances of beating Oz.

The Kiwis had a genuine chance at the RLWC last year and a dodgy ref call and a Rapana big toe being inches over in front put paid to that. I don't think either of us will beat the Roos this year.
I highly doubt Katoa would turn his back on Tonga. Nz is stronger than ever since the Taumalolo saga. If anything the Kiwis are close to there best squad ever. The kangaroos are also losing key players. Brian To'o and Stephen Critchon would've walked into that kangaroos line-up easy. A few of the Tongan second rowers would've made that kangaroos squad including Fifita. But given the kangaroos depth they are still stacked. The only weakness, is that they're not invincible like before and other teams has a genuine chance on their day to beat the aussies.

I highly doubt Katoa would turn his back on Tonga. Nz is stronger than ever since the Taumalolo saga. If anything the Kiwis are close to there best squad ever. The kangaroos are also losing key players. Brian To'o and Stephen Critchon would've walked into that kangaroos line-up easy. A few of the Tongan second rowers would've made that kangaroos squad including Fifita. But given the kangaroos depth they are still stacked. The only weakness, is that they're not invincible like before and other teams has a genuine chance on their day to beat the aussies.

Re: Kiwi squad... assuming you mean potential squad if all were fit/available? the current squad feels less than inspiring with all the players unavailable

Coastbloke

Bench
Y’now why international rugby league struggles? Because The Australian sports section is still talking about AFL and Brent Read is writing about Origin next year ffs..

Clarkent

Juniors
Geez halves for Samoa dropping like flies 🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231007_174218_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231007_174218_Facebook.jpg
    804.8 KB · Views: 11

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I can’t help but think they made these two pacific comps totally confusing in structure to the non-hardcore fans. I’ve had to look at it a couple of times to get my head around it. Seems like they just chucked a bunch of games together with no thought on building a worthwhile product and end goal.
we’ve got teams only play every second week due to byes, some double headers, different women’s teams, some women’s matches are curtain raisers while others are different teams, etc. and then the final in Hamilton?

seriously, could have put all 6 teams in one comp. 3 games a week, with Aus, nz and png remaining as hosts. 5 weeks with no final…or could go a 6th week with top 2 final. Women’s matches as curtain raisers with same two teams. (obv that would mean Tongan women miss out…would’ve been great if the could tour eng with the men.)

how much clearer and worthwhile would that be explaining to viewers when they settle in on game night?
Completely agree, or just invite England and France and play an 8 Nations Woeld Series with two pools of four and a final between the winner of each pool. Three games plus a final and all major RL nations get annual exposure to top competition

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Don't you think though that the Kiwi depth and strength is the best it's ever been?

Manu, Hughes, Brown, Cheese, JMK, Leota, JFH, Tapine... the list goes on. These are some of the best of the best in the NRL especially in the key positions

Last Week

Bench
Completely agree, or just invite England and France and play an 8 Nations Woeld Series with two pools of four and a final between the winner of each pool. Three games plus a final and all major RL nations get annual exposure to top competition
May aswell be the world cup.