What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 R11 Thu - Melbourne 24-16 Brisbane @ AAMI

Round 11: Melbourne v Brisbane

• Melbourne Storm

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Brisbane Broncos

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheDMC

Bench
What's the go with the Olam falcon? Is that being treated as a knock on this year?

I remember they shafted the Raiders with it too when it hit wighton.

Nope, tis the unconscious bias of refs that if a pass is propelled forward it must presumably and incontrovertibly be off the hand/arm.

Meth

Staff member
This referee just proved the Warriors sponsors claims were wrong.

Referees aren't cheats. They're just incompetent.

Yeah, I don't know.

I mean, they certainly are, at the very least, incompetent. With no other factors in play (such as the accused unconscious bias), their officiating will be below standard. But then they still have to answer the question as to whether their incompetent officiating disproportionately affects some teams over others in a way that it shouldn't.

I am happy enough to accept, I think, that the treatment that we generally get from the referees isn't about us being a kiwi team, as much as it is us not being one of the better teams and so in order to get better treatment, we need to earn it by consistently being better.

Also (as I think you're a Panthers' fan, right) I want to acknowledge that the Panthers were the better team on the night and deserved to win the game. No question there.

I guess where I come back to is that until the referees lift the standard of their officiating (or at least own up to it, instead of insisting, as Annesley does, that it's impeccable), then they have to put up with all of the angst and all of the officiating that'll come their way from fans, even if it includes words like 'bias' and even 'cheating'because everybody is trying to make sense of why a professional sport can be so poorly run on the field.

Maximus

Coach
Yep. Scum scored 2 tries off the back of some seriously laughable sin bins. The final margin was 8.

Don't you mean one of the most obvious professional fouls of the year, and the definition of a hip drop?

Oh and the scum scored a try off the back of a non-call for one of the most obvious shoulder charges of the year

gUt

Coach
Finally, someone has the definition of a hip drop!

Evidently it's any tackle where you try to bring the opposition player to the ground but you happen to be behind him.

Maximus

Coach
Finally, someone has the definition of a hip drop!

Evidently it's any tackle where you try to bring the opposition player to the ground but you happen to be behind him.

Well no, we actually had the definition a year ago

Drops the hips and swings - check
Swivels the nearest hip away from the body - check
Lands their body weight on the lower leg to stop momentum - check

This "oh he was just slipping" crap is laughable.

Apey

Staff member
Don't you mean one of the most obvious professional fouls of the year, and the definition of a hip drop?

Oh and the scum scored a try off the back of a non-call for one of the most obvious shoulder charges of the year
Walsh has been charged with a shoulder charge. On the flip side, Carrigan wasn't charged for his hip drop.

Outstanding refereeing performance last night. Broncos last try was my personal favourite - player playing the ball starts fight with marker, try is scored by running past said marker being held, try is given, both players sin-binned.

gUt

Coach
Broncos fans thinking they were robbed is kind of adorable.
Nah the shit calls went both ways for sure. We were robbed of a decent game imo.

Well no, we actually had the definition a year ago

Drops the hips and swings - check
Swivels the nearest hip away from the body - check
Lands their body weight on the lower leg to stop momentum - check

This "oh he was just slipping" crap is laughable.

I don't agree that's what happened in this case, neither does the judiciary apparently.