What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 R12 Fri - St Geo Illa 24-22 Sydney @ Netstrata Jubilee / Bidjigal

Round 12: St Geo Illa v Sydney

• St George Illawarra Dragons

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Sydney Roosters

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Valheru

Coach
I think you guys have always overrated him. Behind Bennett and Bellamy for me, even Cleary has a case now. But 3rd/4th best coach isn't bad, he's clearly an above average coach.

He's easily still safe for now but something is seriously wrong at the moment at the Roosters.

That's a perfectly reasonable opinion.

I'm merely saying that Robbo deserves the opportunity to get us out of this hole and deserves a little more leeway than others would get. Having said that this does have to come back to him at some point and the Roosters don't accept failure so if this continues in to next season he will be on the hot seat.

typicalfan

Coach
It started when he dropped Walker, if not for injury he probably would have been shamed into renaming him. What does it say when you drop your young star only for it to backfire. It potentially sends a message that this isn't a good place to develop as a young gun or that other places could be better.

Valheru

Coach
Well the comps he has won are off the back of signing the best players in their positions.

Jennings, SBW and Maloney sign on to win him a comp.
Cronk and Tedesco join to win back to back comps and Crichton is added also.

He's not a bad coach. He';s a decent coach for sure. But he's also operating with a huge advantage over most other coaches. Roosters can add big names to strong rosters and basically buy a competitive side.

Next year adding Dom Young and Spencer Leniu ontop of having signed Brandon Smith this year. Other clubs can only make signings like that by doing complete rebuilds and throwing insane overs at players and tend to stuff their salary cap up in the process.

Well those 2013 signings are judged in hindsight. I'm not going in depth on them as it has already been discussed.

Whatever advantage he has being at the roosters is shared by his pre-decessors and remind me how Smith, Fittler, Anderson and even Stuart did?

At the end of the day this is his 11th season at the club with 3 comps and only missing the finals once so far. He is highly revered and respected within the club and there has never even been a whisper of player discontent.

Time passes most people and we will find out soon if that is happening here but he certainly deserves every chance to turn things around.

Valheru

Coach
It started when he dropped Walker, if not for injury he probably would have been shamed into renaming him. What does it say when you drop your young star only for it to backfire. It potentially sends a message that this isn't a good place to develop as a young gun or that other places could be better.

This is a narrative that is starting to do the rounds on social media but is of course totally inaccurate. It didn't start when he dropped walker. It started well before that and we actually won the first 2 games after dropping him. We are 3-3 this season with Walker and 2-3 without him

Dropping him is part of his development so we won't know how that goes until he returns which he will next game.

typicalfan

Coach
This is a narrative that is starting to do the rounds on social media but is of course totally inaccurate. It didn't start when he dropped walker. It started well before that and we actually won the first 2 games after dropping him. We are 3-3 this season with Walker and 2-3 without him

Dropping him is part of his development so we won't know how that goes until he returns which he will next game.
Maybe you are right but dropping part of his development I'm not so sure about. They persisted last season when he started the year fairly slow and he got on a bit of a roll. Seems more internal issues. A clash between the older heads and Walker maybe? Idk.

Congrats to the long suffering Saints fans on a well deserved win. Lots of players with their careers on the line performed well. Hope they can perform as well for the rest of the year. Glad Rads non bin didn’t effect the out come and he deserves a spell. If he doesn’t get suspended then he should get dropped. Off to cheer myself up by looking through the Kent thread.

Valheru

Coach
Bahaha righto. He also just happened to not see a headbutt this week either. He manages to look away at the exact moment a Roosters player commits an act of foul play a lot.

Everything I said was fact, sorry if that hurt your feelings.

You can go back to the press conferences.... against storm he said he deserved the bin even though most disagreed. Against sharks he said he deserved it.

I haven't seen this press conference, was he asked about it?

Maximus

Coach
Everything I said was fact, sorry if that hurt your feelings.

You can go back to the press conferences.... against storm he said he deserved the bin even though most disagreed. Against sharks he said he deserved it.

I haven't seen this press conference, was he asked about it?

He said "I thought it was just a scuffle, that's all I saw"

Valheru

Coach
Congrats to the long suffering Saints fans on a well deserved win. Lots of players with their careers on the line performed well. Hope they can perform as well for the rest of the year. Glad Rads non bin didn’t effect the out come and he deserves a spell. If he doesn’t get suspended then he should get dropped. Off to cheer myself up by looking through the Kent thread.

Will discuss more in the roosters thread but the biggest positive is that we lost TBH. Imagine winning that game off the back of that first half. Losing is the only way to effect change of these woeful performances.

Valheru

Coach
The sharks one was for a professional foul. That's not even remotely related to him claiming that Radley is unfairly targeted.

So? 2 out of his 3 binnings he has agreed with. The one on ANZAC Day was BS and he had a right to whinge about it.

What is your angle here exactly? Do you want him to admit he should have got binned today? He knows he should have been binned, he is deflecting. He isn't the first coach to do it.

Radley is still well behind in terms of instances of getting binned when others wouldn't than the reverse.

Maximus

Coach
So? 2 out of his 3 binnings he has agreed with. The one on ANZAC Day was BS and he had a right to whinge about it.

What is your angle here exactly? Do you want him to admit he should have got binned today? He knows he should have been binned, he is deflecting. He isn't the first coach to do it.

Radley is still well behind in terms of instances of getting binned when others wouldn't than the reverse.

How about if you are going to whinge and moan when things go against you, maybe you should admit when you benefit. Instead any time his team benefits, he says he didn't see the incident.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think you guys have always overrated him. Behind Bennett and Bellamy for me, even Cleary has a case now. But 3rd/4th best coach isn't bad, he's clearly an above average coach.

He's easily still safe for now but something is seriously wrong at the moment at the Roosters.
Cleary definitely has to be in contention now, crazy how good he has this panthers team going (and so good across the park). 3 GF’s in a row and 2 premierships back to back and they’re big favourites again this year.

Plus he got the warriors to a GF that’s a lifetime achievement right there.