What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

Rabbits20

Immortal
I wouldn’t offer Sele more than about 400k mate. We won’t pay overs for players he’s been very injury prone too and we have stuck by him. Be a shame to lose him but it’s not the be all and end all. Rumour around too that Parra are after Tass.

Our priority is lock up Junior, Campbell and Keaon. I would let Knight, Jed, Ta’affe go. I wouldn’t mind keeping Cheeks one more year on the cheap as a depth option he’s been good for us especially in defence.

handyman2190

Bench
I wouldn’t offer Sele more than about 400k mate. We won’t pay overs for players he’s been very injury prone too and we have stuck by him. Be a shame to lose him but it’s not the be all and end all. Rumour around too that Parra are after Tass.

Our priority is lock up Junior, Campbell and Keaon. I would let Knight, Jed, Ta’affe go. I wouldn’t mind keeping Cheeks one more year on the cheap as a depth option he’s been good for us especially in defence.
We re signed sele last year for 3 years,he isnt in his last year,

handyman2190

Bench
I know taane had a great game yesterday but he isnt fast enough to stay on the wing,he is a nice big body,hasnt dropped a ball does the hard carries, but id like to see tas on the wing, i think he is faster ,so i would try to re sign him than let him go to bloody parra,knight id let go

handyman2190

Bench

callmack1

Staff member
BUNNIES RISK LOSING GUN PROP AS BULLDOGS, EELS CIRCLE

By David Riccio

Rabbitohs coach Jason Demetriou has declared the club won’t give up without a fight to keep off-contract forward Hame Sele.

The Rabbitohs first salary cap test since signing Jack Wighton can be revealed with the Bunnies hopes of retaining Sele at increasing odds with the Bulldogs firming alongside Parramatta to sign the hard-running prop.

Sele has met with both Bulldogs and Eels officials in recent weeks with the 26-year-old close to making a major call on his career.

Sele, who began his NRL journey at St George-Illawarra (2017-2018) before moving to Penrith (2019) and then South Sydney in 2021, has proven a pivotal member in the Rabbitohs pack in 2023.

He has been chosen to start in the front-row for Souths against the Wests Tigers on Saturday afternoon.

During a period of injury to the Rabbitohs pack, Sele has emerged as a starting prop for Demetriou with his seven matches so far this season providing seven tackle busts and almost 100 metres per game.

The Bunnies head coach said he was aware of rival interest in Sele, but hadn’t given up on retaining the talent.
“I have a good relationship with Hame and we want him to stay,” Demetriou said.

“We’ve offered him an upgraded deal, he knows we want him to remain a part of our club, so hopefully he stays.’’

callmack1

Staff member
Really don't want to lose Sele. When fit, he's one of our best forwards. I know that may be a big call but I genuinely believe that. He's criminally underrated. Not many players in the NRL have the genuine leg drive that he does. He's become one of the key members of our pack and I'd hate to lose him. Really want to keep him.

In saying that, it's not like he's irreplaceable. We won't pay overs for him.

Will see what happens I guess.

Travitoh

First Grade
Middle forwards under contract for 2024 according to zerotackle

Arrow
Tatola
Murray

Tom
Shaq
Moale
DSF

Plus Liam Le Blanc in development.

It'd be nice to keep Sele but i think he may be let go and we bring in one or two min wage guys with experience.

callmack1

Staff member
From The Sporting News,

'I lost a bit of myself' - Rabbitohs prop Liam Knight opens up on journey from rehab to NRL return

Liam Knight's return to the South Sydney Rabbitohs first grade outfit has been quite the journey.

The prop has endured a torrid string of injuries in the past few years, consequently battling substance abuse issues.

Playing for the Bunnies' NSW Cup side last year, Knight's plan to re-establish himself as an NRL player took an unfortunate turn after an illegal tackle saw the 28-year-old suffer a grade two MCL tear, full ACL tear and damage to his meniscus.

For the Alice Springs product, it marked the start of a long, challenging and transformative period.

On the debut episode of the Ebbs and Flows podcast, Knight opened up on the initial injury and the issues that stemmed from it.

"I couldn't watch [the tackle] for a while. I used to just f*****g burn inside. I couldn't watch it and I had to deal with that," he said.

"I'd worked so hard to get back there. I'd had like three surgeries in the offseason [two reconstructions and a clean] and I'd just started to feel like I got some momentum - I was back in the side, playing alright.

"And then, bang.

"I lost a bit of myself and the last nine months have been a bit of a journey."

Knight has since made a successful return to the top grade, playing 25 minutes off the bench and notching 106 run metres against the Melbourne Storm in Round 10.

The following week, Knight was named on the bench once again and enjoyed increased minutes with a similar output.

Whilst his footballing career is back on track, Knight only truly understood how much the sport dominated his life once it was taken away from him.

"I had attached my whole identity to football - it was all I wanted to do," he said.

"I had blinkers on, I was in the football bubble. Nothing else really mattered to me.

"My life was like 95 per cent football and everything outside of that I just attached myself to the image of football...and that was gone.

"I was like: 'Well what do I do now? Who am I?' ... all these big questions I just hadn't asked and I didn't really want to answer.

"I just started partying and I got a bit lost in that scene."

Knight ultimately decided to address his issues with alcohol and drugs, checking himself into a rehabilitation clinic.

The life-changing call to sign up for the 28-day program - which involved his phone being taken from him for the opening eight days - was not a simple one.

"It wasn't exactly a light decision," he said.

"[The idea that] I can't talk about feelings and all the s**t that sort of comes along with it probably contributed to me bottling it up. But it was pretty freeing to be honest."

Initially, it was difficult for the former Raiders and Sea Eagles player to overcome the stigma involved with seeking help for addiction.

But according to Knight, the face-to-face nature of rehab helped with that.

"The biggest thing was the stigma. I don't want to call myself a junkie," he explained.

"I've had issues with alcohol and drugs for a long time, but you walk in there and you wouldn't even know - they are like normal people. There are some wealthy, successful people.

"There's obviously a range - big issues, small issues, everyone's issues are their issues.

"And people were talking about their s**t in front of other people they don't really know. Like, that was crazy to me."

Rabbitohs and QLD Maroons star Jai Arrow is a close friend of Knight's, supporting him throughout his recovery journey.

He notably made the trip to Wagga Wagga a few weeks ago to support his mate as he made his return via the NSW Cup competition for Souths.

The forward also happily revealed that his teammate's time in rehabilitation has brought about tangible and sustainable change.

"I remember him getting out - I went to his graduation. It was pretty cool," Arrow told Ebbs and Flows.

"But there's one thing he probably won't say that he should be proud of - he's the only one out of his group that hasn't relapsed yet."

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs coach Jason Demetriou opens up on why he chased after prized signing Jack Wighton: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...comments/07ed131a-f8af-4a8f-8e2e-b9b741fde651

From The Sporting News,

Jason Demetriou reveals the importance of new Rabbitohs training facility

South Sydney are sitting atop the NRL ladder - and their recent six-game winning streak has coincided with their move to a new training facility in Maroubra.

After spending the past 70 years training out of the famous Redfern Oval, the side have now moved to a brand-new $56 million centre of excellence at Heffron Park and are enjoying all the benefits of the new setup.

Similar to the Wests Tigers and their state-of-the-art facilities at Concord, the Rabbitohs are now afforded a modern and all-encompassing area that includes a gym, training field, recovery equipment and an adjoining community centre.

While the connection between the updated training facility and their on-field results could be seen as merely a coincidence, there are other benefits to what has been built in Maroubra.

The club were able to recruit NSW and Kangaroos star Jack Wighton to the club on a four-year deal around the same time they moved to the new training facility, while the opportunity to attract players from far and wide will only improve.

Speaking on 100% Footy on Monday night, head coach Jason Demetriou opened up on the importance of the new home for the Bunnies for both their on-field and off-field success.

“That’s the big thing, recruitment, and it really aids that, especially when you’re bringing young kids in," he said.

"They’re getting to see the setup and what you’re able to offer them in terms of a high-performance centre.

"It’s the recovery side and that availability for players to come in on their day off, use the hot and colds or the saunas and the steam rooms.

"I’ve noticed since we’ve moved into the place, there’s a lot more players in on their day off and they are really taking their recovery in.

"Over the course of a season, that will pay us back for sure."

Rabbitohs player Liam Knight and Jai Arrow also spoke highly of the new facilities on the first episode of The Sporting News/YKTR exclusive podcast, EBBS and FLOWS.

callmack1

Staff member
From Fox Sports. Welcome news, really love Benny so I hope this comes to fruition,

SOUTHS PLAN TO LOCK IN DRAGONS CONTENDER

IF, as expected, Ben Hornby misses out on the St George Illawarra head coaching position then the South Sydney Rabbitohs are already in the queue to re-sign their assistant coach.

The Bunnies have got huge raps on Hornby and as much as they were supportive of him chasing the Dragons head coaching role they’ll also happily extend his tenure at Heffron Park with a view to improving his CV.

The premiership-winning Dragons halfback who captained the club to its last premiership in 2010 has worked under Wayne Bennett and now Jason Demetriou at South Sydney.

In terms of coaching educations, you can’t get a much better grounding than that.

Hornby is off contract at the Bunnies at the end of this season but with everyone at Souths having enormous faith in his ability as a coach there are plans afoot to ensure he remains in the red and green.

Latest posts