What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 TV/Fox/Streaming Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
I’d really like to see twenty minute half times for free to air games in order to bring the kick off times forward.

For example: Thursday and Friday games.
Coverage from 730pm.
20 minute pregame show.
7:50pm kick off.
Half time: 835 to 855-ish.
Full time 940pm-ish.
20 minutes post game (Includes time for golden point etc)

Potentially even better if it was a 7:45pm kick off.

It’s quite clear that some viewers are tuning out during the current pregame show and potentially not all of them are tuning back in. Reducing that half hour waffle down to 15 to 20 minutes will boost overall ratings.

Iamback

Coach
Yeh sure do if I’m smarter and better than someone else

your thinking just gives foxtel an excuse to pay us less

at least foxtel should pay us more than afl given it’s largely subscription based

that’s a start

It is reality though, We are talking 7 hours less content a week. Less sponsors.

you hate Fox but no one is just going to give money away

Wb1234

Referee
It is reality though, We are talking 7 hours less content a week. Less sponsors.

you hate Fox but no one is just going to give money away
Let’s see if stan bid against fox and then we’ll see what the market value is

last time I remember fox fighting a war because they wanted the arl pay tv rights

I love fox coverage if nine get the lot I’m going to struggle badly

Iamback

Coach
Let’s see if stan bid against fox and then we’ll see what the market value is

last time I remember fox fighting a war because they wanted the arl pay tv rights

I love fox coverage if nine get the lot I’m going to struggle badly

Ch9 own Stan.

Ch9 currently pay less than ch7 for AFL, Why would they play more for the rest?

That is why NRL are rushing expansion through

Iamback

Coach
I’d really like to see twenty minute half times for free to air games in order to bring the kick off times forward.

For example: Thursday and Friday games.
Coverage from 730pm.
20 minute pregame show.
7:50pm kick off.
Half time: 835 to 855-ish.
Full time 940pm-ish.
20 minutes post game (Includes time for golden point etc)

Potentially even better if it was a 7:45pm kick off.

It’s quite clear that some viewers are tuning out during the current pregame show and potentially not all of them are tuning back in. Reducing that half hour waffle down to 15 to 20 minutes will boost overall ratings.

Wouldn't they still tune out at halftime if the game takes longer to come on?

docbrown

Coach
Wouldn't they still tune out at halftime if the game takes longer to come on?
It’s called buy-in. It’s the TV version of the sunk cost concept. The more you watch something, like say the first half of a football match, the more likely you are to see it through to the end. That’s why 9 used to jump straight into the kickoff of the delayed game on Fridays after the live game finished. They knew that if people stopped and looked up the result they wouldn’t watch. But if they hook them for fifteen minutes etc, even though it’s a delayed game they’ll avoid looking up the score and watch the rest. The problem is 9 are losing viewers in that half hour pregame period, so they’re not buying in.

Wb1234

Referee
Ch9 own Stan.

Ch9 currently pay less than ch7 for AFL, Why would they play more for the rest?

That is why NRL are rushing expansion through
Well stan and nine made a 3 billion bid for the afl didn’t they

nine has said they want to grow stan and they just took up their option on the super rugby

having all of the nrl is something they can afford to do

docbrown

Coach
Well stan and nine made a 3 billion bid for the afl didn’t they

nine has said they want to grow stan and they just took up their option on the super rugby

having all of the nrl is something they can afford to do
Anyone in the industry with half a brain will tell you that this is now the consolidation phase of streaming. There are too many services and only the strongest will survive the decade’s end. Those without premium sports will shrink in market share. And FTA channels without successful streaming services may likely fold in the 2030s as the business model collapses.

Wb1234

Referee
Anyone in the industry with half a brain will tell you that this is now the consolidation phase of streaming. There are too many services and only the strongest will survive the decade’s end. Those without premium sports will shrink in market share. And FTA channels without successful streaming services may likely fold in the 2030s as the business model collapses.
Stan getting the nrl could do for them what fox getting the nrl did for them way back

having all games on nine is going to be hard watching though

the nrl could literally turn stan into a powerhouse

Wb1234

Referee

Just posted by someone else

docbrown

Coach
Stan getting the nrl could do for them what fox getting the nrl did for them way back

having all games on nine is going to be hard watching though

the nrl could literally turn stan into a powerhouse
Well that’s the idea. As to whether 9-Stan get everything will come down to dollars. 10-Paramount will be doing similar. It will be interesting who Foxtel partner with. 7 will be looking at 9’s sublimation to Foxtel with NRL rights with great apprehension. Foxtel may even find themselves going alone on the first bid and hoping that they can lure NRL enough with initial $$$ to encourage a negotiation with a FTA broadcaster to keep the current status quo.

Iamback

Coach
But how relevant is that? FTA only buy so many games and Fox are mainly driven by subs. The extra time for ads no way make the difference in deals.

So why does Fox AFL have more sponsors then Fox League then?

Subs are important but keeping your customers on your product.

Outside of games Fox League is lucky to pull 100k, More games more content more of those subs you have on the product

Status
Not open for further replies.