What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 TV/Fox/Streaming Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billythekid

First Grade

Nothing exciting. Crickets going to hurt this round.
I feel out of the loop because I hadn’t even heard of this until like 2 days ago.

Apart from origin and the grand final on 9 the 5 pm quiz show on 7 and a couple of current affairs shows on the abc (morning shows) we don’t watch fta. Worlds changed a lot.
I don’t think there was ever a question that FTA has lost some of its relevance and I wasn’t arguing otherwise.

Pneuma

First Grade
I feel out of the loop because I hadn’t even heard of this until like 2 days ago.

I don’t think there was ever a question that FTA has lost some of its relevance and I wasn’t arguing otherwise.
I got what you were saying. Just commenting broadly about fta. All good

docbrown

Coach
Just on the talk of Sunday Night Origin from earlier - what I find interesting is that Channel 9 still has no idea of how to turn Origin games into a post-game ratings bonanza for its follow-on programming. Whatever follows Origin should be the second biggest show of the night but 9 is clueless.

I don't think there's a perfect solution to Origin. But playing it on a Sunday night, you could have the Women's Origin on a Sunday afternoon at a different ground as the pre-news lead-in. Being on a Sunday it would attract a bigger crowd. It would also make those three Sunday full 'Origin' days. They'd become even bigger events.

Then you just take one round of NRL games (that's 9 games in an 18 team comp) and split it over the three Origin rounds. One NRL game on Thursday, Friday & Saturday nights each in those origin rounds. Each team is therefore impacted by Origin scheduling only once and equally. The games in the rounds following Origin would only be impacted if players sustain injuries etc.

And then seriously -- Channel 9 should just cut the pre-game waffle, kick off that Sunday Night origin game at 7:20pm and have some form of other event programming scheduled at 9:30pm that isn't absolute dreck. But knowing Channel 9, that might be impossible for them to do.

Wb1234

Referee
FTA is rubbish.
Take the fox commentary to nine and the coverage would be fine

there’s two separate issues which is the general decline in fta ratings masking channel nines coverage is awful

viewers have switched to fox in huge numbers so it’s a channel nine thing

Colk

First Grade

Big night on Fox. Less cricket impact than I thought

Two exciting games yesterday although the last one dragged a bit. Good ratings

Seriously though I wonder how bad Fox are feeling atm? The ratings for the fumbles are absolutely dreadful and now they have this big albatross of a deal coming up.

Wb1234

Referee

Seriously though I wonder how bad Fox are feeling atm? The ratings for the fumbles are absolutely dreadful and now they have this big albatross of a deal coming up.
Even worse if they do lose the league and are faced with ha vic g to compete with league with afl being their top sport

Starkers

Bench
258k people were watching the afl pre game yet over 50k has switched off when the fumbling game began lol
There must be some kind of explanation for this? Did they switch to a different game that was being played concurrently? There has to be something we aren't seeing in these TV numbers that are impacting AFL ratings.

The main reason is that their crowds are up a fair bit, as are the NRL's. The NRL crowd interest is translating to TV ratings, and the AFL's seems to be lagging. You'd expect if the AFL's games were boring, they'd suffer at the turnstile also.

Billythekid

First Grade

Big night on Fox. Less cricket impact than I thought
From what I can see the cricket is a bit of a blowout so that probably doesn’t help. Roosters v panthers rated insanely well for a blowout.
There must be some kind of explanation for this? Did they switch to a different game that was being played concurrently? There has to be something we aren't seeing in these TV numbers that are impacting AFL ratings.

The main reason is that their crowds are up a fair bit, as are the NRL's. The NRL crowd interest is translating to TV ratings, and the AFL's seems to be lagging. You'd expect if the AFL's games were boring, they'd suffer at the turnstile also.
The experience at the ground is very different from TV. You more go for the atmosphere and excitement of a big crowd at an AFL game (which people are craving post COVID). The quality of the game on the pitch shouldn’t have the same impact on crowds.

Having said that I have no idea about the quality of their comp like most posters here. I also don’t know that AFL ratings are THAT bad so much as the NRL ratings have just exploded this year on fox/kayo.

Colk

First Grade

At a guess, I would probably argue that the diehards or those more inclined to watch fumbleball are still consuming (as they nominally would) however the casuals or the more discerning audience (the ones who would nominally watch sport on TV rather than attend) are flocking to other sports.

Wb1234

Referee
From what I can see the cricket is a bit of a blowout so that probably doesn’t help. Roosters v panthers rated insanely well for a blowout.

The experience at the ground is very different from TV. You more go for the atmosphere and excitement of a big crowd at an AFL game (which people are craving post COVID). The quality of the game on the pitch shouldn’t have the same impact on crowds.

Having said that I have no idea about the quality of their comp like most posters here. I also don’t know that AFL ratings are THAT bad so much as the NRL ratings have just exploded this year on fox/kayo.
I’ve been to one afl game live it was boring af

couldn’t see anything

league at the ground is amazing but it does depend on the stadium if your watching most of the game on a screen

westerntiger

Juniors
AFL people are weird. Every time the betoota advocate flames the AFL on Facebook the first 500 comments are just abuse from bitter AFL fans. Talk about a humourless, insular bunch of people.

When Betoota make fun of rugby league we just laugh along with it lol

Pneuma

First Grade
AFL people are weird. Every time the betoota advocate flames the AFL on Facebook the first 500 comments are just abuse from bitter AFL fans. Talk about a humourless, insular bunch of people.

When Betoota make fun of rugby league we just laugh along with it lol
It’s the nature of their supporters and the game’s administrators that they see everything as a threat. It’s why they lie about their participation stats and hide their scandals.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I watched Knights/Broncos at the R.S.L. in Coffs while visiting my son, what a game, the place was pumping, would have been perfect if the Knights could have just hung on.
Didn`t see the first game as I was too scared to watch, we got a very pleasant surprise when we looked up the score though, so we streamed it when we got back to his digs.

Status
Not open for further replies.