What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 WTC FINAL: Aust v Ind @ The Oval - AUSTRALIA TEST CHAMPIONS

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Deadset repeat of last time we played them. Roll through their top order and let the bowlers score 200...
This Tharker merkin did us over in Brisbane. Anyone counterattacks we shit ourselves and go full defensive.

Bazal

Post Whore
They could be all out by now with the luck they have had, instead it looks like the last over in a 20/20 game. We have been far too defensive for too long. This is what worries me with Bazball.

There's literally no reason to defend, except maybe one or two back in high traffic spots.

Just set a tight field, dot the pricks up, get wickets.

Bazal

Post Whore
Realistically we've had what, 2.5 decent tactical captains since like 1980?

Taylor and Clarke were good tacticians, and Tugga gets the .5

Otherwise our most lauded captains are a bully with a great mo and a hairy Tasmanian who got clocked by a cross dresser in a shitty Kings Cross nightclub

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Realistically we've had what, 2.5 decent tactical captains since like 1980?

Taylor and Clarke were good tacticians, and Tugga gets the .5

Otherwise our most lauded captains are a bully with a great mo and a hairy Tasmanian who got clocked by a cross dresser in a shitty Kings Cross nightclub
Steve Waugh was good tactically I just reckon he was over aggressive at times. Taylor was very good even though he needed to be carried as a player most of his captaincy career. Clarke was an excellent tactical captain but a poor leader. I think AB after 89 was a pretty good skipper but still probably overly negative. He was excellent using Warne though he might not have had the same impact under a different captain as a young Leggie.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I've been a Starc defender but if Hazelwood is fit he comes in and Starc sits out. Neser should be ahead of him too.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Same old story. As soon as our opposition stops playing like St George Illawarra, our mental midgets start playing like St George Illawarra

• Haha
Reactions: gUt

Bazal

Post Whore
Steve Waugh was good tactically I just reckon he was over aggressive at times. Taylor was very good even though he needed to be carried as a player most of his captaincy career. Clarke was an excellent tactical captain but a poor leader. I think AB after 89 was a pretty good skipper but still probably overly negative. He was excellent using Warne though he might not have had the same impact under a different captain as a young Leggie.

Yeah Tugga is my fave cricketer and captain, but realistically he gets the 0.5 because he never had to be anything better than good. He just set aggro fields and let the best attack of all time go, really. He probably struggled to understand momentum at times? He could definitely try and meet a momentum shift with more aggression which normally doesn't work. Tubby was probably the best, but it f**ked his batting. Clarke was close but a shit people person.

It's weird that we don't seem to have many good tactical captains...are we picking the wrong blokes or valuing the wrong things?

Fangs

Coach
Not the first time Carey has done this either. It's a flaw that needs correcting.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeah Tugga is my fave cricketer and captain, but realistically he gets the 0.5 because he never had to be anything better than good. He just set aggro fields and let the best attack of all time go, really. He probably struggled to understand momentum at times? He could definitely try and meet a momentum shift with more aggression which normally doesn't work. Tubby was probably the best, but it f**ked his batting. Clarke was close but a shit people person.

It's weird that we don't seem to have many good tactical captains...are we picking the wrong blokes or valuing the wrong things?
I think people in the entire cricket Aus set up are tactically clueless. Smiffy was tactically pretty average as well. Cummins had never done it I can’t believe he got the gig. But the tactics this session have been beyond embarrassing.