What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 WTC FINAL: Aust v Ind @ The Oval - AUSTRALIA TEST CHAMPIONS

Bazal

Post Whore
Starc looks tired. Not really getting through the crease or ripping the arm down, his action looks sloppy. Not sure why given he didn't go to IPL etc, maybe he's just had a long enough lay off he needs to work back in.

We use him shit as well but he needs a rest and some net time, maybe a couple of county games. Bring in Neser and send Starc to wherever he's playing for the first two tests

Bazal

Post Whore

Shastri needs to lay off the drink again

images

I don't know tbh. We have some real issues. I think picking Renshaw in the space he's in could be a career killer.

Renshaw’s been in good red ball form in FC cricket. If there’s concerns about selecting him now I doubt you can ever select him. (he’s scored 8 FC tons in the last 18 months)

Labs I think

Okay but who then comes in at first drop, and if it’s smith who comes in at 4? (Smith doesn’t even want to play 3)

The point is none of these are easy decisions, we don’t have a heap of talent knocking the door down.

The leading run scorer in shield was an opener (Bancroft) and he led all scorers by 300 runs. So if it’s not Renshaw I’d be going with Bancroft.

Bazal

Post Whore
Starc is a weapon when on and we have to use him. Absolutely pointless not to use all the options when trying to win a test unless someone else rips through and you don't need to.

Short spells, tell him to go ham for 3-4 overs but if his first two are shite he gets the hook. He's the kind of bowler who can look like this then suddenly it clicks and he goes from 0/60 off 10 to 5/75 off 20

Starc is a weapon when on and we have to use him. Absolutely pointless not to use all the options when trying to win a test unless someone else rips through and you don't need to.

Short spells, tell him to go ham for 3-4 overs but if his first two are shite he gets the hook. He's the kind of bowler who can look like this then suddenly it clicks and he goes from 0/60 off 10 to 5/75 off 20

That’s sort of what I mean by keeping it to a minimum. But I’d be very wary of using him early, we need to keep the runs in check to build the pressure, he’s giving away runs too easily.

But I don’t think it’s about him being on, it’s about conditions with Starc. Dry wickets have never suited his bowling.

Bazal

Post Whore
That’s sort of what I mean by keeping it to a minimum. But I’d be very wary of using him early, we need to keep the runs in check to build the pressure, he’s giving away runs too easily.

But I don’t think it’s about him being on, it’s about conditions with Starc. Dry wickets have never suited his bowling.

Yeah fair. I think dry wickets do suit him though, just the new rules about what can go on a ball don't. He's the one you'd back to get it reversing when you could still get reverse swing...but also I think you can see when he's bowling like he has this innings his action is sloppy and loose and his release is all over the shop?

Unsure if it's mental or physical with him but quite often he's just not with it. A wicket can change that fast though

simmo1

First Grade
I think they will want either Neser or Starc at 8 to sure up the tail. I don't think they can go with Cummins at 8 followed by three number 11s. Ideally you'd just pick the best bowlers, but our top order has struggles in England and that makes lower order runs important (case in point - Thakur and Starc in this test).

Assuming Cummins and Lyon play all 5 tests, I think they will rotate Starc with Neser and Boland with Hazlewood.

If Starc sprays them again today, I think they need to go with Neser. Boland and Hazlewood is a toss of the coin.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
last innings and dry pitch should suit the Goat,

also one of Starc's strengths is around the wicket reverse swing, so he should get a bit of reverse on the last day, its just up to him to bowl accurately which he struggled to do last night

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think they will want either Neser or Starc at 8 to sure up the tail. I don't think they can go with Cummins at 8 followed by three number 11s. Ideally you'd just pick the best bowlers, but our top order has struggles in England and that makes lower order runs important (case in point - Thakur and Starc in this test).

Assuming Cummins and Lyon play all 5 tests, I think they will rotate Starc with Neser and Boland with Hazlewood.

If Starc sprays them again today, I think they need to go with Neser. Boland and Hazlewood is a toss of the coin.

which I dont think they'll do as they will pick the left arm bowler and his footmarks will help the goat too

shame we don't have an alternative left armer

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The thing with Starc is that the difference between his best and worst is so huge. That's rare in a bowler who has taken 300 plus wickets.

Even rarer as a bowler is that the day he bowls at his worst can also be the day he has a blinder of a spell.

Bazal

Post Whore
which I dont think they'll do as they will pick the left arm bowler and his footmarks will help the goat too

shame we don't have an alternative left armer

Let's be honest the BOAT bowls negative around the wicket shit so often he can probably make his own f**ken foot marks

Latest posts