What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

jim_57

Staff member
When do us NQers get to use this excuse when Sydney clubs come to town?

I’d rather we just not get shit crowds and not need an excuse.

Sub 10k crowd for first Sydney game of the year is poor no matter what the excuse. Weather looked fine, Saturday 5:30, night time but not too late for kids, 1-1 start to the season, new premiership winning coach in charge.

Brutus

Referee
I thought the Dragons were a big famous Sydney club?

Time to ditch Kogarah. It's been an underperformer for a while now.

Better off at Hurstville Oval.

Canard

Immortal
Average of 12,300 over the 3 games in Sydney this arvo. Not that far off the benchmark I set but with three repeated under performers.
Not great I know, but seriously 5 years ago we’d be calling it a massive win.
It’s all about the trend my friends.
At no time in the last 30 years, would anyone call 12,300 a "massive win"

Take your hand off V'landys dick.

Iamback

Coach
At no time in the last 30 years, would anyone call 12,300 a "massive win"

Take your hand off V'landys dick.

While not great. Look at opposition,

I doubt Dogs v Titans are getting much more if played at Accor.

So too Dragons v Cows

For Comparison

Dragons v Cows at the same venue in 2022 9517.

Broncos the next home game 8,500

Vlad59

Bench

So too Dragons v Cows

For Comparison

This is more about the Dragons and their current woes than anything. A club with a heritage like theirs should be booming right now. Their administrators have failed dismally.

Reactions: Vee

docbrown

Coach
Dragons should play 8 home games at Wollongong, 4 home games at the SFS against the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Tigers and another Sydney team. Then play at least 2 away games at the SFS against the Roosters and Rabbitohs. Work with those other SFS based teams (which hopefully Rabbitohs will become) for a 6 game package membership deal. And ditch Kogarah altogether.

Iamback

Coach
This is more about the Dragons and their current woes than anything. A club with a heritage like theirs should be booming right now. Their administrators have failed dismally.

Correct, Kogarah's demographics have changed too but they are on the nose at Wollongong too, so can't even give that a pass

jim_57

Staff member
Correct, Kogarah's demographics have changed too but they are on the nose at Wollongong too, so can't even give that a pass

Despite pulling the occasional good crowd to make the average look better, like 18k against Souths last year, Kogarah has been getting shit crowds for years. Wollongong ain’t much better but I’m guessing they don’t get as many away fans as when 2 Sydney clubs play at Kogarah.

Wollongong being regional would be more chance of getting a decent upgrade one day though you’d think. Kogarah as a ground in Sydney with half a tenant will be pushing shit up hill to even get touch ups, plus it’s an Oval.

Canard

Immortal

So too Dragons v Cows

For Comparison

None of that makes it acceptable or a massive win.

Crowds have been great so far

Let's be honest yesterday was terrible.

Iamback

Coach
Despite pulling the occasional good crowd to make the average look better, like 18k against Souths last year, Kogarah has been getting shit crowds for years. Wollongong ain’t much better but I’m guessing they don’t get as many away fans as when 2 Sydney clubs play at Kogarah.

Wollongong being regional would be more chance of getting a decent upgrade one day though you’d think. Kogarah as a ground in Sydney with half a tenant will be pushing shit up hill to even get touch ups, plus it’s an Oval.

Even if Allianz was put in Kogarah, You have still now got a majority population being Chinese and other nationalities that don't follow RL.

Iamback

Coach
None of that makes it acceptable or a massive win.

Crowds have been great so far

Let's be honest yesterday was terrible.

Not saying it was but just some context.

Most of looked at the Super Saturday lineup and saw it as a dud, crowds backed that up but it is on par with corresponding games of previous years.

So while they were shit it is no worse than previous years, which is good thing for improving the overall crowds

nko11

Juniors
Not saying it was but just some context.

Most of looked at the Super Saturday lineup and saw it as a dud, crowds backed that up but it is on par with corresponding games of previous years.

So while they were shit it is no worse than previous years, which is good thing for improving the overall crowds
For context last year the same/similar fixtures got:
1711239882409.png
This Year: 12,037 - +1,222
1711240039053.png

(Not the exact same game - but similar away support)
This Year: 9,252 -
+714
1711240162223.png

(On a Thursday at WSS though)
This Year: 15,990 -
+6,775

At worst the same as last years, if not a small improvment. It's about improvements year on year. This doesn't mean we can't question how we can improve on this and question ground usage, etc.

I don't mind the suburban grounds, but if they're going to do it, they have to have some marketing around it to make them into events. Look to Beer, Footy and Food Festival as an idea and copy/expand on it. It might sound stupid but hire out a brass band and have them play during the game/day. Let the fans on the field after the game, organise for NSW Cup or any level of grade to play beforehand.

We have a NSW cup team that has shown the way to promote Suburban football.

Last edited:

Steel Saints

Juniors
I don't think the Dragons are on the nose in Wollongong, but more of a case that they don't play regular home games at Win stadium every fortnight, like the Steelers used to do.

And of course since 2010, the club has been run horrendously.

But just like every fan base, they want to see a team that is competitive.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
For context last year the same/similar fixtures got:
View attachment 85566
This Year: 12,037 - +1,222
View attachment 85567

(Not the exact same game - but similar away support)
This Year: 9,252 -
+714
View attachment 85568

(On a Thursday at WSW though)
This Year: 15,990 -
+6,775

At worst the same as last years, if not a small improvment. It's about improvements year on year. This doesn't mean we can't question how we can improve on this and question ground usage, etc.

I don't mind the suburban grounds, but if they're going to do it, they to have some marketing around it to make them into events. Look to Beer, Footy and Food Festival as an idea and copy/expand on it. It might sound stupid but hire out a brass band and have them play during the game/day. Let the fans on the field after the game, organise for NSW Cup or any level of grade to play beforehand.

We have a NSW cup team that has shown the way to promote Suburban football.

Of course always should look to do better but there will always be dud games, I'd prefer dud games at the bush or suburban grounds > large ones.

If Dogs play GC at Accor, The crowd number would be the same but would look horrible.

Next week is perfect example. There is no need to play a game on Thursday night.

The idiots don't have a 6pm Friday game on the one time it might actually pull a decent crowd

Latest posts