What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Frank Burge

Juniors
I am a bit disappointed with the Eel v Tigers crowd. That game would get 35 or 40 k most years at stadium Australia. They should have made Parra Stadium 40k.
Since 2017 it has only had over 30k once (30420) of 4 games at Accor ,not sure it justifies Parra giving up a home game.

beave

Coach
And the Dolphins are shitting the bed playing at Redcliffe.
tbf, the other week vs the Dragons they had no other option due to Suncorp being in concert mode. The solution would have been to schedule them to have an away game that weekend but that's an argument for another day........

T-Boon

Coach
The knights compared to Geelong is pretty low as well. What are geelongs crowds when an out of state team is playing? They would get a big bolstering from travelling Melbourne teams.

yakstorm

First Grade
The knights compared to Geelong is pretty low as well. What are geelongs crowds when an out of state team is playing? They would get a big bolstering from travelling Melbourne teams.
As @bazza said, Karinda Park has just been upgraded to 40K, which has contributed to their significant crowd uplift this year (they've only had one home game so far).

Crowd average the last 2 years for Geelong was around 20.5K, prior to COVID has varied between 18K - 29K at the ground for those they play at home. Geelong also play 'home' games at the MCG and Docklands which does help boost their overall average.

T-Boon

Coach
As @bazza said, Karinda Park has just been upgraded to 40K, which has contributed to their significant crowd uplift this year (they've only had one home game so far).

Crowd average the last 2 years for Geelong was around 20.5K, prior to COVID has varied between 18K - 29K at the ground for those they play at home. Geelong also play 'home' games at the MCG and Docklands which does help boost their overall average.
Thanks that’s interesting.

jim_57

Staff member

Since we’re on the topic.. Geebung’s stadium is the first outside the major cities to hit 40k capacity, a goal we should aiming to match in Newcastle sooner or later.

Also the setup of playing most matches in Geelong with a few big drawing games at the MCG would be a perfect setup for Dragons in Wollongong/SFS.

final say

Juniors
Top 5 Sydney Crowds of 2024:
1. AFL: Swans v Melbourne at SCG - 40,012
2. NRL: Roosters v Souths at SFS - 37,594
3. NRL: Souths v Bulldogs at Homebush - 35,275
4. AFL: Swans v Essendon at SCG - 34,954
5. NRL: Parramatta v Bulldogs at WSS - 29,171

Averages (Games Played in Sydney only):
Sydney Swans
37,483​
South Sydney Rabbitohs
35,275​
Sydney Roosters
31,746​
Parramatta Eels
26,044​
Penrith Panthers
20,806​
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
17,284​
Wests Tigers
15,990​
GWS Giants
14,635​
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
12,810​
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
12,037​
St George Illawarra Dragons (Sydney)
9,252​
Rugby league is nowhere near as big as the UFC... But our crowds are bigger..why?
Because thier arenas are smaller..and it's not great viewing if you're too far away , there's too much going on in detail up close that makes it better on Television unless you can afford the good seats.

So , why are Rugby league's crowds smaller than AFL? Could it be that it's played on a smaller arena , that's not great viewing if you're too far away and there's too much going on in detail that makes it better viewing on TV unless you can afford the good seats....

Why this stupid comparison keeps coming up is beyond me..

They are 2 completely different things!!

And for anyone who questions it, do this: go to both. I have: The MCG was $20 ( don't know what it is now) you could sit wherever you want.. because there's no bad seats( it's equally good anywhere on the ground because contests happen all over the ground) if you sit up high, you get a birds eye view or you can be close to the action.
At that same time in my life I went to a League game where the cheapest seats at the Titans was $25 up in the corner I was allocated a seat where only when they were attacking my corner was I not just watching the big screen.. and to top it off you get about 25 minutes less entertainment.

This comparison needs to stop.

Vlad59

Juniors
Rugby league is nowhere near as big as the UFC... But our crowds are bigger..why?
Because thier arenas are smaller..and it's not great viewing if you're too far away , there's too much going on in detail up close that makes it better on Television unless you can afford the good seats.

So , why are Rugby league's crowds smaller than AFL? Could it be that it's played on a smaller arena , that's not great viewing if you're too far away and there's too much going on in detail that makes it better viewing on TV unless you can afford the good seats....

Why this stupid comparison keeps coming up is beyond me..

They are 2 completely different things!!

And for anyone who questions it, do this: go to both. I have: The MCG was $20 ( don't know what it is now) you could sit wherever you want.. because there's no bad seats( it's equally good anywhere on the ground because contests happen all over the ground) if you sit up high, you get a birds eye view or you can be close to the action.
At that same time in my life I went to a League game where the cheapest seats at the Titans was $25 up in the corner I was allocated a seat where only when they were attacking my corner was I not just watching the big screen.. and to top it off you get about 25 minutes less entertainment.

This comparison needs to stop.
100%. The comparison is pointless and irrelevant. As a code we should be focussed on maximising our revenues our crowds and our participation and quality. This endless talk of fumbler crowds is bloody annoying.

final say

Juniors
100%. The comparison is pointless and irrelevant. As a code we should be focussed on maximising our revenues our crowds and our participation and quality. This endless talk of fumbler crowds is bloody annoying.
Even participation is flawed. We should be proud that our participation is lower.. it's a brutal sport! Not for any whimp! How many kids do UFC??
now how many kids play soccer? Soccer is shit but any little piss ant can do it!

Again on the crowd comparison bs.. Are we as big as the NFL?? because our grand final gets 82k and thiers gets 65k??? Could it be a smaller field???
Dumb comparisons.

We need better crowds than we've had because we want to improve things for us. There's lots of clubs capable of much better but we're really tapped out after about 40k, there's not great viewing past 40k realistically.
42k have a far worse view of the grand final than those who stayed home..