What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

T-Boon

Coach
Disagree. Storm crowds of 20k or even 28k would lack atmosphere at a 40k+ stadium. Wouldn‘t want to lose that just to gain an occasional soccer match. 30k is perfect until Storm are selling out the majority of home games.
Unfortunately the stadium down there was built before they started doing stands with the steep pitch they have now. It a long way below Parra stadium in terms of viewing experience. I'd get behind a rebuild.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unfortunately the stadium down there was built before they started doing stands with the steep pitch they have now. It a long way below Parra stadium in terms of viewing experience. I'd get behind a rebuild.
eh? you think they should rebuild a 14 year old stadium?

5 bays in level 4 east already on sale for the Canterbury vs Manly Elimination Final at Accor.

Ticket sales to the general public open tomorrow morning at 10am.

1725878242064.png

The ABC and the SMH are both reporting a crowd of 50,000 is expected for this game:

A crowd of over 50,035 would be the biggest non-Grand Final crowd in Sydney for a decade (since 52,592 for the 2014 Preliminary Final between South Sydney and the Roosters).

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Geez that`s a real chicken or egg statement. How do you not know that if they build a world-class 50k rectangular stadium those cities and states won`t attract more clubs and/or events that would make them feasible for the local economy.
Exactly right and there is evidence in QLD, and NSW that if you build quality rectangular grounds, the sports that use them will experience a bump in attendances and improved corporate sponsorships. Which is exactly the opposite of what the AFL want... And there lies the heart of the issue.

"AFL don't like competition" - St Peter Vlandy's

Wb1234

Immortal
Exactly right and there is evidence in QLD, and NSW that if you build quality rectangular grounds, the sports that use them will experience a bump in attendances and improved corporate sponsorships. Which is exactly the opposite of what the AFL want... And there lies the heart of the issue.

It’s funny how they admit afl states will never get large rectangular grounds yet when it comes to nsw and qld they want billions spent on ovals

Billythekid

First Grade
5 bays in level 4 east already on sale for the Canterbury vs Manly Elimination Final at Accor.

Ticket sales to the general public open tomorrow morning at 10am.

View attachment 93854

The ABC and the SMH are both reporting a crowd of 50,000 is expected for this game:

A crowd of over 50,035 would be the biggest non-Grand Final crowd in Sydney for a decade (since 52,592 for the 2014 Preliminary Final between South Sydney and the Roosters).
If the game is played in perfect weather I think there would be an outside chance of beating that crowd. The potential rain makes it difficult.

Also that statistic kinda shows how little success there has been amongst the big Sydney sides over the past 10 years. If we saw a patch where Parra, Souths, dogs, tigers etc actually had some sustained good form we could see some monster crowds in Sydney.

To be fair AAMI park is a bloody good stadium, I’d argue one of the best in the comp. Sure its capacity could be higher but it’s not the quality of the stadium holding back crowds.

As of today I’d say it’s a near perfect ground for the storm. The problem I’m assuming is that there is no real room to grow in the future and Victoria is unlikely to build another rectangle stadium.

I still think it’s pretty good for the storm. If we genuinely get to a point where it’s selling out regularly it would be hard to complain. That would see the storm averaging more than any club in history other than the broncos by a significant margin.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If they get 50,000, its the first time in Sydney, week 1 of the finals, since 1971. This would be massive if they get it. There hasnt been a crowd of 40,000 more in Sydney since 2011, Dragons Vs Tigers.

Billythekid

First Grade
I’ve said this before but there’s a bit of disco stu taking over these threads. The last 2 seasons have seen monstrous increases in crowds more than I’d say even the most optimistic fans would have predicted. That’s great but there’s no guarantee that growth will continue or even be sustained. Suddenly just wanting every single stadium to see significant increases in capacity doesn’t make sense.

I think the case for a bigger stadium in Melbourne isn’t as strong as in other places. The stadium is relatively modern and isn’t in need of a replacement or upgrade which already makes things unlikely. For the regular teams who play there the capacity is basically spot on. The storm this year average around 20K, this is whilst being the best team of the past 2 decades and the run away minor premiers. To me the capacity of the stadium from a storm perspective seems near spot on.

If tomorrow you could click your fingers and transform AAMI into Allianz it would be better for the big games but for the average club game I’d argue it would be about the same or worse so it’s hard to justify.

Also whilst they’re not ideal Melbourne does have big stadiums. Even if Melbourne built a stadium like Allianz are the really big events like origin going to be played there?

Im not saying it would have no benefits but Melbourne isn’t really screaming for a bigger rectangular stadium so I find the complaints a little overblown.

Now somewhere like Canberra or Newcastle on the other hand it makes a ton more sense IMO and Canberra in particular is crying out for a new bigger rectangular stadium. If the Canberra can get a state of the art 30K+ stadium that gives better protection from the elements we could see significant crowd growth. They might be able to attract a few more big events to the City. It’s shameful how bad the quality of stadiums are in our capital.
If they get 50,000, it’s the first time in Sydney, week 1 of the finals, since 1971. This would be massive if they get it. There hasnt been a crowd of 40,000 more in Sydney since 2011, Dragons Vs Tigers.
This is a much more realistic goal. 40K+ seems fairly likely and would already be a big result. Imagine if we had a decent run of form from some of these bigger Sydney clubs.

kurt faulk

Coach
I think the case for a bigger stadium in Melbourne isn’t as strong as in other places. The stadium is relatively modern and isn’t in need of a replacement or upgrade which already makes things unlikely.

It's the perfect size. They need to start selling out the place first. This will make tickets start selling quicker and create some fomo. Get some buzz going and build the core supporters numbers.

The_Wookie

Bench
Geez that`s a real chicken or egg statement. How do you not know that if they build a world-class 50k rectangular stadium those cities and states won`t attract more clubs and/or events that would make them feasible for the local economy.

It literally hasnt stopped anyone from doing anything unless they are prima donnas about stadium shape. Hell it falls within FIFAs sight line requirements. International soccer teams, afl, state of origin, cricket, bledisloe, and even WWE have found it perfectly acceptable.

Latest posts