What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 FW1 Fri - Penrith 30-10 Sydney @ BlueBet

Finals Week 1: Penrith v Sydney

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Sydney Roosters

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bazal

Post Whore
Not sure the first half is the ceiling.

As much as they're f**king hateable, they are elite AF. The Roosters middle actually held pretty well defensively and JFH and Leota only made low 100m, at pretty low averages. Same for the edge forwards.

There's more there, especially against lesser defence.

speedster

Juniors
No they were as good as usual... That's my point. It lacks punch and spark.
Smith and Henry are workers whereas Fish and Leota are power props. So, when the starters are off, there is a change in the dynamic and the game plan is to hold the fort, not knock the front door down like the A team. But, that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

Scary.

soc123_au

Staff member
Absolutely

I just doubt they will reach that ceiling again. Halves of football like that don't come along very often.

Reminds me of 2019 where we did a very similar thing to Souths in week 1. 24-0 in quick time and ended 30-6 or something like that. In hindsight we peaked and it was an absolute battle the final 2 games.
We've been saying it all year. Gears. It was looking a bit shaky at times, but Ivan knows when to drop the clutch.

Iamback

Coach
Smith and Henry are workers whereas Fish and Leota are power props. So, when the starters are off, there is a change in the dynamic and the game plan is to hold the fort, not knock the front door down like the A team. But, that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

Scary.

Lindsay Smith in particular has a great passing game we are yet to see

Apey

Staff member
Roosters were god awful in the first half. That might be Daniel Tupou's worst game in a Roosters jersey in 10 years. Every other team they play will put up a much better fight than that. Not sure it will be enough though if they play their best. I don't think anyone would disagree they have a higher peak than Storm if they're on their game.

Since Souths defeated Penrith in week 1 of the 2021 finals, they've won 10 finals matches in a row.

This is how many points they've conceded in those matches:

6, 6, 12, 8, 12, 12, 6, 4, 24, 10

Ridiculous. I hope you Panthers fans have a proper grasp of how good you've got it.

You're experiencing something that happens once every 30-40 years.
Agree Yobbo; great time to be a fan. Wasn’t always this way with plenty of lean years, so loving the ride.

Best but of it is it feels like we are doing it the right way. 13 of the 17 players tonight have never pulled on another clubs jersey, and I think even our most ardent critics would look at what has happened to our roster and accept that we are playing fair with the salary cap. And such obvious connection with the community.

Very proud of the team and the success.

lockyno1

Post Whore
He was good before he injured his wrist against Tigers. Been quiet by his standards ever since

Best game was at FB funny that. Pity the crab at fullback won’t move though. Said it then keep the bloke at FB that’s his position why limit the bloke getting the ball especially when Walker isn’t there to give him ball

Latest posts