What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 GF - Sun 6 Oct - Melbourne v Penrith @ Accor

Grand Final: Melbourne v Penrith

• Melbourne Storm

• Penrith Panthers

• Draw after Golden Point

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade

mxlegend99

Referee
So apparently NAS isnt at fault for the high tackle. It’s on Collins for running too fast and not protecting himself.
7.43pm “If player Asofa-Solomona bent his back he was at risk of clashing heads with player Katoa or clashing heads with player Collins,” Ghabar said. “Player Collins didn’t raise his bumpers to protect himself.

“In terms of generating force, player Collins in my respectful submission was responsible for that. Player Collins was coming at a great speed and he didn’t take action to protect himself, which is unfortunate.”

Apey

Staff member
So apparently NAS isnt at fault for the high tackle. It’s on Collins for running too fast and not protecting himself.
Storm got their lawyer off Temu.

They did use a Holmes Grade 1 tackle in Origin on Haas though that I went back and watched which was obviously worse than Nelson's on incident alone but the difference was Haas got straight back up and played the ball.

Wb1234

Immortal
Storm are a heaps better side than last years broncos

If Penrith play like last year they lose

With luai and jfh leaving I think they will still get it done but I haven’t seen them put together a good 80 mins for ages

mxlegend99

Referee

With luai and jfh leaving I think they will still get it done but I haven’t seen them put together a good 80 mins for ages
Storm are easily in better form. But Panthers usually have something extra when they really need it. Which is why I sm confident we can win.

The blokes leaving should be pumped for big games. Everything feels like its setup for a four peat. Except one thing.

The form of the Storm spine is pretty incredible atm, easily better than ours when you factor in 9s its honestly not close. With Cleary having a f**ked shoulder I can see Paps and Munster really working him over.

Cleary is fine with big bodies running at him. But blokes with speed and footwork forcing him to reach and grab them could really exploit that weakness and potentially hurt him. When he got up in pain against Sharks it was from grabbing a player and being dragged along with him. Stretching his arm.

There is just no way Munster and Paps don’t test him with speed, footwork and changing angles.

Fangs

Coach

Can you expand on this?

I'd argue at the very least that the Broncos were far more dangerous. Way more firepower and strike in the backs. Walsh, Mamm, Staggs, Farnworth. They had options roaming and on both sides of the field. The Storm have more points overall but I'm hardly frightened of Nick Meaney.

You can collectively compare the packs but I'm far more afraid of Haas, Carrigan and Flegler than what Melbourne has to offer. For Melbourne Katoa is their best then its a very good solid pack that lacks fear factor (No NAS).

Defensively the Broncos conceded less points in 2023 than the Storm in 2024. Even if you believe the Storm are more solid defensively.

We may well lose if we play like last year. But the Storm can't do to us what Brisbane did in 2023. It will be a very different game of football.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Storm are easily in better form. But Panthers usually have something extra when they really need it. Which is why I sm confident we can win.

The blokes leaving should be pumped for big games. Everything feels like its setup for a four peat. Except one thing.

The form of the Storm spine is pretty incredible atm, easily better than ours when you factor in 9s its honestly not close. With Cleary having a f**ked shoulder I can see Paps and Munster really working him over.

Cleary is fine with big bodies running at him. But blokes with speed and footwork forcing him to reach and grab them could really exploit that weakness and potentially hurt him. When he got up in pain against Sharks it was from grabbing a player and being dragged along with him. Stretching his arm.

There is just no way Munster and Paps don’t test him with speed, footwork and changing angles.
If Gronk can win a GF against melbum, by solely barking orders for 80 mins, then Cleary should be able to orchestrate a 13+ win on Sunday night... if he's any good.

Wb1234

Immortal
Can you expand on this?

I'd argue at the very least that the Broncos were far more dangerous. Way more firepower and strike in the backs. Walsh, Mamm, Staggs, Farnworth. They had options roaming and on both sides of the field. The Storm have more points overall but I'm hardly frightened of Nick Meaney.

You can collectively compare the packs but I'm far more afraid of Haas, Carrigan and Flegler than what Melbourne has to offer. For Melbourne Katoa is their best then its a very good solid pack that lacks fear factor (No NAS).

Defensively the Broncos conceded less points in 2023 than the Storm in 2024. Even if you believe the Storm are more solid defensively.

We may well lose if we play like last year. But the Storm can't do to us what Brisbane did in 2023. It will be a very different game of football.
Storm spine is imo the best in the comp and they have wishart and that other junior to spare

Last years grand final Penrith were poor in the first half. the attack was dire despite great field position and dominance

They should’ve put the broncos away in the first half then switched off for 20 mins until a Cleary masterpiece turned it around

I love the storms attack they can score from anywhere whereas panthers attack is looking a bit stale

I don’t think guys like yeo Edwards or Martin are playing like they used too when Penrith were unstoppable

I just feel with foundation players like Harris and luai leaving they will be motivated enough to get there

How good are the broncos players really ? Sure Walters plays a huge part of their decline but their spine is a bit average

Storm finished minor premiers by a long way. That counts for something in terms of form

Fangs

Coach
Storm spine is imo the best in the comp and they have wishart and that other junior to spare

Last years grand final Penrith were poor in the first half. the attack was dire despite great field position and dominance

They should’ve put the broncos away in the first half then switched off for 20 mins until a Cleary masterpiece turned it around

I love the storms attack they can score from anywhere whereas panthers attack is looking a bit stale

I don’t think guys like yeo Edwards or Martin are playing like they used too when Penrith were unstoppable

I just feel with foundation players like Harris and luai leaving they will be motivated enough to get there

How good are the broncos players really ? Sure Walters plays a huge part of their decline but their spine is a bit average

Storm finished minor premiers by a long way. That counts for something in terms of form

Its a close run thing between their spine and ours. We pip them in the halves and they get us at fullback and hooker but we are a different football team. We are better defensively and have 3 grand finals of experience behind us.

Many of those points are about Penrith. If we are talking Storm v Broncos again I think the Broncos of 2023 are a lot more dangerous across the park. If its a spine shoot out then maybe the Storm win but they don't have the firepower the Broncos had in the backs.

mxlegend99

Referee

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Its a close run thing between their spine and ours. We pip them in the halves and they get us at fullback and hooker but we are a different football team. We are better defensively and have 3 grand finals of experience behind us.

Many of those points are about Penrith. If we are talking Storm v Broncos again I think the Broncos of 2023 are a lot more dangerous across the park. If its a spine shoot out then maybe the Storm win but they don't have the firepower the Broncos had in the backs.
Edwards > Paps
Munster > Luai
Hughes > Cleary - Close but Hughes is the best player in the world atm
Grant > Kenny

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Hoops wants Big Nelson to get off. Love how he calls the Roosters the 'chooks', fair dinkum what a bonza bloke.

Ha, what a waste of ink that article is.

And sucked in Melbourne, and hiring a sub par lawyer who tried to use some largely incomparable example to get NAS off, and also tried to blame Collins for running too hard.

Black Panther

Juniors
Arse is lucky, it’s no coincidence the games best player has led Penrith to many victories on his own since his return. I think you mean Classy.