What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Grand final Panthers vs Storm

Should I make an early prediction?

• Total voters

Sime_11

Juniors
ive been saying to family and close panther fans that if we got Melbourne in the GF - it would be 3rd time lucky this year.

i feel both games we lost to them we haven't had our best performances - so i just hope we have saved the best till last for 2024.

1. hopefully a dry track next week
2. Sorro has to play off the bench - sorry to Eisenhuth - he'd plod but he's done his job this year - actually deserves a ring. Just hoping that Martin & Garner dont go down with HIA in the first half.
3. NAS outcome really affects the Storm this week - he was brutal when he came back from that sin bin. He will be hard to contain, dont underestimate King & Loiero - they will handle our forward pack defensively.
4. Hughes will be key to pressure heavily, beware Munster - he's not what he was 5 years ago, but he can be such a big game player.
5. Believe - as uncomfortable as it was at times last night, Nathan just did Nathan things - he will keep us in the game even if we are down.

That said - id love to reverse 2020 and be up 22-0 at HT - because i cant see Storm pulling a comeback like we did if its required.

I am liking what Ivan did in the press conference talking about the obstruction. Drawing attention to diving and putting pressure on the officials is smart this week, particularly with Hughes in the other team who is the best at getting himself questionable obstruction calls.

If it was Wayne that did this, we would all be waxing lyrical about how he is the master manipulator. Of course, Wayne would ring up his puppet Creepy Crawly and have him dedicate an entire section of NRL360 to replaying on loop the times Hughes has dived.

Does Ivan have anyone in the media he can influence in this way?

maple_69

Bench
Nah but Ivan is just a good coach. He’ll probably have Luai and Nath hitting the decoy all night now that the halves are on notice about their cynical defensive decisions.

Original Name

Juniors
One thing I'll say about the storm is even vs the Roosters they got a try off a blatant knock on when the score was 24 - 18 and the Roosters had gained momentum. Doesn't mean much for us but the storms defence is clearly there for the taking.
Their kick chase was pretty poor for such a good defensive team. Were letting Teddy split them or almost split them by leaving gaps. Our kick chase was much better in comparison.

Oates is a huge in for them.

Warbrick and him are extremley damgerous for too and tito.

We will need to have a really good plan in place for how we will defend their attacking kicks.

Id be shocked if big nelson somehow gets off but it is the nrl and they are a basket case so who the eff knows.. he will be a big out if that happens.

Nath not being 100% obviously is a huge huge concern. Part of me thinks ivan should flick the switch and tell romey to bloody own the game and push nath aside when he wants it and really own the game. Jerome is at his best when he is cocky and really backing himself.. his short kicking and running game this year has been unreal and we will need romey to really save his best for last.

For us i really think moses, fish and martim need to have their best games of the year.. its been a avg year at best for all 3.. we need them to follow kemny in defemce and make it a mission to put melbournes boys on their backs every tackle. If we can restrict their fast play the balls and offloads it really nullifies grant and paps. Stop them to and you can stop the space fpr hughes and munster.

I see this as our biggest challenge of all the last 5.

No critta is huge..bloke just knew how to stand up in big games for us and always wemt to superstar levels.

Tago and Alamonti in defence need to be on song as do the blokes on the inside amd out.

This is 50/50.. i think we can win but we will need to be saving our best for last.This tall winger versus short winger rhetoric has been around for at least the last 4 years.

Oates is a huge in for them.

Warbrick and him are extremley damgerous for too and tito.

We will need to have a really good plan in place for how we will defend their attacking kicks.

Id be shocked if big nelson somehow gets off but it is the nrl and they are a basket case so who the eff knows.. he will be a big out if that happens.

Nath not being 100% obviously is a huge huge concern. Part of me thinks ivan should flick the switch and tell romey to bloody own the game and push nath aside when he wants it and really own the game. Jerome is at his best when he is cocky and really backing himself.. his short kicking and running game this year has been unreal and we will need romey to really save his best for last.

For us i really think moses, fish and martim need to have their best games of the year.. its been a avg year at best for all 3.. we need them to follow kemny in defemce and make it a mission to put melbournes boys on their backs every tackle. If we can restrict their fast play the balls and offloads it really nullifies grant and paps. Stop them to and you can stop the space fpr hughes and munster.

I see this as our biggest challenge of all the last 5.

No critta is huge..bloke just knew how to stand up in big games for us and always wemt to superstar levels.

Tago and Alamonti in defence need to be on song as do the blokes on the inside amd out.

This is 50/50.. i think we can win but we will need to be saving our best for last.
This tall winger versus short winger talk has been around for at least 4 years.

How have tall wingers worked out for the Storm for the last few years. Going good but our short wingers have the GF rings.

Our side knows what is required, it's now up to them to deliver another small piece of history to the club.

Barring injury and too many referee HOWLERS, we are right in this.

maple_69

Bench
Definitely agree that Leota, Martin, Kenny & Fish bringing their best is going to be key for us. I think Fish has been good, Kenny patchy and the other two have only shown flashes of their best. If all of them can dial in, we'll win the ruck and steal the space from their playmakers for ours. From that position, we know Cleary, Luai, Edwards and Yeo will not screw it up.

I really hope Luai has a stormer. Fish would be a nice Clive as well but I think he's had his fair share owning the big moments and has got his due respects. Luai going out with a dominant Clive would be an amazing story.

pantherpuddy

Juniors
Our motivation should be sky high to beat Melbourne. I'm sure the players haven't forgotten the 2020 GF and losing twice to them this season will only add to it. This should be enough to lift everyone in the squad who haven't been at their best recently.