What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos discussion etc

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Raiders V Knights matchup really annoyed me. The Knights home features no colours that the Raiders do (besides the small amount of blue on the Raiders collar and hem on the sleeves), but the Knights away is mainly the same colour as the Raiders shorts. It’s absolutely dumb to choose the option with overlapping colours (white) over the option that has no overlapping colours. I swear clubs mustn’t take shorts into account when choosing which jersey to wear even though shorts take up about a third of the whole kit.
I always think about the contrast v clash discussion when thinking about this - a white-base jersey is going to contrast better than a red and blue one against a green....
Knights vs Canberra in last year's semi final (and I think also Round 1 this year?) both teams wore their main kits. No issues with clashing.

I'm a Knights man through-and-through, but I don't like their insistance of wearing their white alternate kit for every away game. It's so unnecessary a lot of the time.
... but it's odd that there wasn't a clash in Round 1 when both teams wore their home jerseys at MJS as Nuke points out above.

I also think there's a propensity from some clubs - Canberra is one - to maximise wearing their home/main kit in finals matches. Similarly v the Storm, I've noticed they seem to wear white away most times they come down here but if they're away to Storm in a final its green.

Timmah

Staff member
Definitely kit clash (read: KIT clash, not jersey clash) in Broncos v Dragons.

Brisbane celebrating NAIDOC week/"Deadly Choices Round", chose to wear Indigenous kit. St George Illawarra should've been told to bring the red jumper. Long-range camera isn't great, nearer isn't much better.

(I say kit because the combo of white piping and white shorts for the Broncos makes the side and front views have too much white, when the bulk of the Dragons' kit is white too.

toomuchsoup

Juniors

Brisbane celebrating NAIDOC week/"Deadly Choices Round", chose to wear Indigenous kit. St George Illawarra should've been told to bring the red jumper. Long-range camera isn't great, nearer isn't much better.

(I say kit because the combo of white piping and white shorts for the Broncos makes the side and front views have too much white, when the bulk of the Dragons' kit is white too.
Spot on. Clubs must not take shorts into account when choosing which kit they’ll wear. Shorts take up a good 1/3 of the overall kit. Broncos as the home team are within their right to wear their indigenous kit, but going with maroon shorts would’ve really negated the clash. But the onus was on the Dragons and they should have worn their away.

The Knights have done exactly what they did last week against the Raiders by wearing their away when their home would’ve contrast better and not have had overlapping colours (white). Home vs home would have been perfect. Red and blue vs maroon and white, but instead we get this white mess

Timmah

Staff member
Spot on. Clubs must not take shorts into account when choosing which kit they’ll wear. Shorts take up a good 1/3 of the overall kit. Broncos as the home team are within their right to wear their indigenous kit, but going with maroon shorts would’ve really negated the clash. But the onus was on the Dragons and they should have worn their away.

The Knights have done exactly what they did last week against the Raiders by wearing their away when their home would’ve contrast better and not have had overlapping colours (white). Home vs home would have been perfect. Red and blue vs maroon and white, but instead we get this white mess
I think red and blue would be more of a clash with maroon tbh. Knights normally wear away when away to Manly etc

toomuchsoup

Juniors
I think red and blue would be more of a clash with maroon tbh. Knights normally wear away when away to Manly etc
When just looking at the jersey I can kind of understand but when looking at the overall kit, I think the Knights home would contrast so much better

dragons in the red would have been much better
broncos could have worn maroon shorts too

RedVee

First Grade
I don’t know what you lot were looking at. But I watched Broncos v Dragons on my TV and had zero difficulty in telling the teams apart.
I think you are looking for problems that just aren’t there.

Timmah

Staff member
I don’t know what you lot were looking at. But I watched Broncos v Dragons on my TV and had zero difficulty in telling the teams apart.
I think you are looking for problems that just aren’t there.
It's almost like people who aren't you exist.

People who have all sorts of reasons they might have trouble. Colourblindness, vision impairments etc.

The better the contrast, the better viewing experience for all. It's not the only game that it occurs in but it was notable the other night. I'd venture a guess to say you're upset at the abhorrent suggestion the Dragons not wear the Red V (which was but one of several options that couldve improved the visuals of Saturday's game)

RedVee

First Grade
It's almost like people who aren't you exist.

People who have all sorts of reasons they might have trouble. Colourblindness, vision impairments etc.

The better the contrast, the better viewing experience for all. It's not the only game that it occurs in but it was notable the other night. I'd venture a guess to say you're upset at the abhorrent suggestion the Dragons not wear the Red V (which was but one of several options that couldve improved the visuals of Saturday's game)
I am colourblind btw.

No, one team was in a dark shirt and the other white. Guess what? Perfect contrast.

Timmah

Staff member
I am colourblind btw.

No, one team was in a dark shirt and the other white. Guess what? Perfect contrast.
As I have made patently clear in my posts in recent days, playing kit is more than just a jersey. The combination of white piping on the Broncos jersey, with both teams then wearing similar shorts and socks, meant there was a lot of white. It could have been better. It's ok to say that. It doesn't require some weird defence