What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Match Review & Judiciary charges

Chimp

Bench
Yeah that's how I'm reading it.

They used to list similar and non similar previous offences now they just have the one stat.
That is right, it’s charges of the same type that count.

And another interesting point on fines - any fines a resulting for a match (not off field behaviour fines) are also tax deductible for the players, making them even more ineffective.

I personally believe the whole charging thing is ridiculous - the only incidents that should result in match suspensions should be serious acts of deliberate or reckless foul play. The fine system is ridiculous - what we should have is match officials dealing with these things ‘in game’ with a sin-bin……

yobbo84

First Grade
Doesn't '2nd offence' mean second offence for that particular type of charge only (i.e careless, dangerous conduct, etc)?
That's mental. Imagine Latrell comes back and spear tackles a bloke, and say he gets a Grade 1 Dangerous Throw.

That means it would be a "1st Offence" under that logic, and only a $1000 fine, as opposed to a "3rd & Subsequent Offence" and a 2 week suspension.

I can't believe that's true.

Apey

Staff member
That's mental. Imagine Latrell comes back and spear tackles a bloke, and say he gets a Grade 1 Dangerous Throw.

That means it would be a "1st Offence" under that logic, and only a $1000 fine, as opposed to a "3rd & Subsequent Offence" and a 2 week suspension.

I can't believe that's true.
Seems like it. Pretty sure that's how it works. It used to contain the phrase 'similar offence' if I remember correctly, which I assume meant same type offence but different grading. Not sure how that part all works.

Saxon

Bench
Seems like it. Pretty sure that's how it works. It used to contain the phrase 'similar offence' if I remember correctly, which I assume meant same type offence but different grading. Not sure how that part all works.
As yobbo noted, thats f$#@ing stupid.

Chimp

Bench
As yobbo noted, thats f$#@ing stupid.
It is, because what you then get is the match review panel seemingly tip toeing around whether it’s ’dangerous contact’ or ‘contrary conduct’ or ‘careless high tackle’ or whatever other bullshit wording they can use - it just opens them up for claims of favouritism.

Saxon

Bench
It is, because what you then get is the match review panel seemingly tip toeing around whether it’s ’dangerous contact’ or ‘contrary conduct’ or ‘careless high tackle’ or whatever other bullshit wording they can use - it just opens them up for claims of favouritism.
Maybe there should be an open ended charge for players like JWH called "grubbing it up". From your third infringement for in a 12 month period you also automatically attract a "grubbing it up" loading. If found guilty, the penalty assigned will be the higher of the base charge or the GIU. GIU is not impacted by early guilty pleas.

GIU penalties:
- 1st (i.e. found guilty 3 times in 12 months), 1 week
- 2nd (4 in 12), 2 weeks
- 3rd, 4 weeks
- 4th, 8 weeks
- 5th, 16 weeks
and so on.

On that basis, JWH would be on a grade 5 GIU and due to next play in Round 27!

SBD82

Coach
Maybe there should be an open ended charge for players like JWH called "grubbing it up". From your third infringement for in a 12 month period you also automatically attract a "grubbing it up" loading. If found guilty, the penalty assigned will be the higher of the base charge or the GIU. GIU is not impacted by early guilty pleas.

GIU penalties:
- 1st (i.e. found guilty 3 times in 12 months), 1 week
- 2nd (4 in 12), 2 weeks
- 3rd, 4 weeks
- 4th, 8 weeks
- 5th, 16 weeks
and so on.

On that basis, JWH would be on a grade 5 GIU and due to next play in Round 27!
I think you should be careful what you wish for. You’d be down half a team.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

Warriors v Gold Coast​

Jacob Laban (Warriors)
  • Grade 1 Dangerous Contact on Beau Fermor (33 min)
  • Base penalty $1500
  • His options
    $1500 - guilty / no contest
    $1000 - early plea
  • PLEA: TBC
David Fifita (Gold Coast)
  • Grade 1 Dangerous Contact on Te Maire Martin (68 min)
  • Base penalty $1500
  • 2nd offence last 12 months
  • His options
    $2500 - guilty / no contest
    $1800 - early plea

St George Illawarra v Sydney​

Tyrell Sloan (St Geo Illa)
  • Grade 1 Dangerous Contact on Sam Walker (35 min)
  • Base penalty $1500
  • His options
    $1000 - early plea
AND
  • Grade 1 Dangerous Contact on Luke Keary (56 min)
  • Base penalty $1500
  • His options
    $1000 - early plea

Melbourne v South Sydney​

Taane Milne (South Sydney)
  • Grade 3 Dangerous Contact on Cameron Munster (80 min)
  • Base penalty 3 matches
  • His options
    3 matches - guilty / no contest
    2 matches - early plea

Note: Milne has been charged at the highest available level (aside from being referred to judiciary panel) under the current judiciary code table (which is available at the link above).

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Milne gets a double discount. One for being severely intellectually challenged and another for conduct on Cam Munster