What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Match Review & Judiciary charges

skeepe

Immortal
Don’t think you can compare the two. Whitehead’s was a tackle gone wrong which has earned a suspension in the past. Teddy was contesting a ball and Rapana might not have got hurt if he didn’t tackle him in the air which resulted in his elbow coming down on him?
Only problem with that is that the elbow hit Rapana’s face before he wrapped his arms. At that point he was contesting the ball, and the elbow was the first contact between the two. If anything you could argue that the wrapping of the arms was a defence mechanism for someone jumping into him.

I don’t think Teddy should be charged. But neither should Whitehead. Both are accidents. We need to be really careful that we don’t go looking for a charge every single time a player gets injured. Rugby league is a tough contact sport. Sometimes accidents happen.

Whitehead grabbed Smith around the shoulders, Smith ducked and Whitehead held on. Should he have, in that split second, decide to let go of Smith and not complete the tackle? If Smith doesn’t try to duck out of the tackle, Whitehead doesn’t end up where he is.

Valheru

Coach
If the tackle is a legal tackle 100%.

I asked you earlier.

I will ask again. What could Whitehead do differently in the tackle to not get the injury?
Not fall on the back of his leg, the onus of which is on the defender. This is not a new rule.

skeepe

Immortal
If the tackle is a legal tackle 100%.

I asked you earlier.

I will ask again. What could Whitehead do differently in the tackle to not get the injury?
The only thing he could do is to let go and give up on the tackle. And he has about a tenth of a second to make that decision. It’s ridiculous.

skeepe

Immortal
Not fall on the back of his leg, the onus of which is on the defender. This is not a new rule.
When Kikau did it against us, Annesley defended there being no penalty or charge because sometimes accidents happen.

I guess they only happen to some clubs

Iamback

Coach
The only thing he could do is to let go and give up on the tackle. And he has about a tenth of a second to make that decision. It’s ridiculous.

There lies the issue with the game right now. Image matters and the NRL didn't like a player getting hurt in a tackle so has made a charge.

If Whitehead left the ground on changed position then maybe. But in this situation there is nothing

Valheru

Coach
Only problem with that is that the elbow hit Rapana’s face before he wrapped his arms. At that point he was contesting the ball, and the elbow was the first contact between the two. If anything you could argue that the wrapping of the arms was a defence mechanism for someone jumping into him.

I don’t think Teddy should be charged. But neither should Whitehead. Both are accidents. We need to be really careful that we don’t go looking for a charge every single time a player gets injured. Rugby league is a tough contact sport. Sometimes accidents happen.

Whitehead grabbed Smith around the shoulders, Smith ducked and Whitehead held on. Should he have, in that split second, decide to let go of Smith and not complete the tackle? If Smith doesn’t try to duck out of the tackle, Whitehead doesn’t end up where he is.
Yes

Nat butcher got suspended for the exact same thing against the sharks last year. The sharks player literally ducked under him and he found himself on his back like whitehead was. He got charged with a grade 2 and missed a week. Had he of let him go the sharks score a try. I think he got binned as well.

I'm sure there have been others.

Valheru

Coach
When Kikau did it against us, Annesley defended there being no penalty or charge because sometimes accidents happen.

I guess they only happen to some clubs
I can't remember that exact incident but no one accused the NRL of consistency.

skeepe

Immortal
You could argue the same with high contact and falling players etc but that is the world we live in now.
Sure, but those don’t end up with grade 3 charges, the most serious charge you can get without being referred straight to the judiciary.

It’s patently ridiculous.

soc123_au

Staff member
Yes

Nat butcher got suspended for the exact same thing against the sharks last year. The sharks player literally ducked under him and he found himself on his back like whitehead was. He got charged with a grade 2 and missed a week. Had he of let him go the sharks score a try. I think he got binned as well.

I'm sure there have been others.
And did you applaud the decision?

Colk

First Grade
I can't remember that exact incident but no one accused the NRL of consistency.

Of course you don’t remember that incident because it doesn’t support your argument. It is like you saying earlier to a Panthers fan that you didn’t give a s*** about what happened to Cleary when there was a similar incident that occurred to him.

You should just state that you only give a s*** about this incident because a player from your team got injured.

Valheru

Coach
Sure, but those don’t end up with grade 3 charges, the most serious charge you can get without being referred straight to the judiciary.

It’s patently ridiculous.
I'm not disagreeing with the charge being over the top, I completely accept he didn't mean to hurt him and the grading is a result of the injury.

Had he of been able to continue it still gets penalized and fined IMO

Valheru

Coach
Of course you don’t remember that incident because it doesn’t support your argument. It is like you saying earlier to a Panthers fan that you didn’t give a s*** about what happened to Cleary when there was a similar incident that occurred to him.

You should just state that you only give a s*** about this incident because a player from your team got injured.
I don't remember every single incident that happens, especially when it doesn't involve my team or a notable game... Sorry. Skeepe might be completely right with what he is saying but I don't remember and I'm not bothered enough to search for it so if he or yourself because it seems so important to you wants to post a video I'll happily provide you an opinion.

Iamback

Coach
You could argue the same with high contact and falling players etc but that is the world we live in now.

Doesn't mean that world is right.

Just this weekend Fitzgibbon and Ivan who aren't known as whingers have commented on this very subject.

There is a difference between a dog shot and accidental contact

Colk

First Grade
I'm not disagreeing with the charge being over the top, I completely accept he didn't mean to hurt him and the grading is a result of the injury.

Had he of been able to continue it still gets penalized and fined IMO

Here are some tackles that didn’t warrant any suspensions. One also caused significant injury to a Tigers player if you want to use that argument. They are just as dangerous and all involve a bloke landing on a bloke’s leg (if that is the only requirement for a hip drop then there are whole bunch of hip drops).