What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2024 Membership

The_Wookie

Bench
nice of Penrith to add a tracker...and show a member record

NRL Membership2024 (5/4)2023 (total)
Brisbane53,67240,207
Canberra20,56824,060
Canterbury22,000
Cronulla16,00014,384
Dolphins30,09630,000
Gold Coast13,124
Manly16,332
Melbourne20,00032,000
Newcastle29,45119,922
New Zealand
North Queensland17,89320,513
Parramatta35,015
Penrith21,93221,525
South Sydney29,26731,997
St George20,68221,124
Sydney19,35520,072
Wests Tigers8,05020,003
Total286,966382,278

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
83,000 members in Brisbane in 2024 compared to 35,000 pre-Dolphins yet according to @The Great Dane there has been no meaningful growth because of the Dolphins' inclusion. Union fans are really doing it tough at the moment

The Great Dane

First Grade
83,000 members in Brisbane in 2024 compared to 35,000 pre-Dolphins yet according to @The Great Dane there has been no meaningful growth because of the Dolphins' inclusion. Union fans are really doing it tough at the moment
Effectively every single one of those 83K people had a closet full of Maroons, Cowboys, Kangaroos, etc, etc, merch and were all regularly watching the sport and consuming it's products. These aren't new fans/customers, i.e. genuine growth, these are old customers being sold a new product.

There's nothing wrong with that, but no matter how you try to spin it McDonald's selling the new burger to obese addicts isn't an impressive feat.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Effectively every single one of those 83K people had a closet full of Maroons, Cowboys, Kangaroos, etc, etc, merch and were all regularly watching the sport and consuming it's products. These aren't new fans/customers, i.e. genuine growth, these are old customers being sold a new product.
Source?

What a ridiculous claim that 48k new paying members isn't bringing new people to the game. At the very basic level they weren't buying memberships prior to the Dolphins even if they were already consuming game on TV.

The McDonald's analogy is not smart. If McDonald's introduced a new burger that gave their sales a boost of over 100% they'd be over the moon.

Vlad59

Juniors
Source?

What a ridiculous claim that 48k new paying members isn't bringing new people to the game. At the very basic level they weren't buying memberships prior to the Dolphins even if they were already consuming game on TV.

The McDonald's analogy is not smart. If McDonald's introduced a new burger that gave their sales a boost of over 100% they'd be over the moon.
He is far too sad and miserable to see the bright side

The Great Dane

First Grade
Source?

Are you really going to pretend that there were thousands, let alone 10s of thousands, of people in Brisbane who were unaware of the NRL and/or weren't purchasing RL products who suddenly developed an interest once the Dolphins were granted entry?

Genuinely, is this performative or are you seriously willing to be that full of shit because it's hurts your fee-fees that some people think that the NRL should actually attempt to live up to the name?

The whole point of a second Brisbane side was to have games played out of Suncorp every week to maximise the underserviced RL market in Brisbane. For that to work the underserviced market has to already exist...
McDonald's pretty regularly introduces limited time, seasonal burgers, new burgers, and other products that boosts sales in their respective categories by over 100% at least for a time.

The Dolphins are the same principle in practise, and again there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not the same as expanding the market it's self (i.e. significantly increasing the customer base it's self, not increasing sales or upselling to the existing customer base).

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Are you really going to pretend that there were thousands, let alone 10s of thousands, of people in Brisbane who were unaware of the NRL and/or weren't purchasing RL products who suddenly developed an interest once the Dolphins were granted entry?

Genuinely, is this performative or are you seriously willing to be that full of shit because it's hurts your fee-fees that some people think that the NRL should actually attempt to live up to the name?

The whole point of a second Brisbane side was to have games played out of Suncorp every week to maximise the underserviced RL market in Brisbane. For that to work the underserviced market has to already exist...

McDonald's pretty regularly introduces limited time, seasonal burgers, new burgers, and other products that boosts sales in their respective categories by over 100% at least for a time.

The Dolphins are the same principle in practise, and again there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not the same as expanding the market it's self (i.e. significantly increasing the customer base it's self, not increasing sales or upselling to the existing customer base).
Nope I'm saying exactly what I said. There are nearly 50k more people in Brisbane that have committed to paying for NRL memberships than there was in 2021. Neither of us know how many were passive RL fans, people new to the game, QLD Cup fans new to buying an NRL membership. It would be a mix of factors, but the point is a new team has helped (Broncos too have had a role to play) in increasing overall memberships and attendances which is.... (drimroll please) meaningful growth foe the game. Something you said hasn't happened since the Dolphins have come in.

f**k of with your McDonalds analogy. An increase in a particular category because of a new burger is nothing like nearly tripling overall NRL memberships and doubling attendances in the Brisbane market.

Stop being salty because the Dolphins, who you've death ridden from day 1, are a success and your sport is in major decline.

Vlad59

Juniors
Nope I'm saying exactly what I said. There are nearly 50k more people in Brisbane that have committed to paying for NRL memberships than there was in 2021. Neither of us know how many were passive RL fans, people new to the game, QLD Cup fans new to buying an NRL membership. It would be a mix of factors, but the point is a new team has helped (Broncos too have had a role to play) in increasing overall memberships and attendances which is.... (drimroll please) meaningful growth foe the game. Something you said hasn't happened since the Dolphins have come in.

f**k of with your McDonalds analogy. An increase in a particular category because of a new burger is nothing like nearly tripling overall NRL memberships and doubling attendances in the Brisbane market.

Stop being salty because the Dolphins, who you've death ridden from day 1, are a success and your sport is in major decline.
Good luck with this bloke. He’s never wrong no matter what evidence you put in front of him.

Perth Red

Post Whore

one game memberships that are cheaper than a gate ticket are a great way to make your numbers look good. For membership numbers to have any relevance we would need to see a break down of what types they are. We've seen with the Tigers what the true picture can look like when you take away the fudging.

On the Dolphins, the goal was always to get passive Brisbane RL fans off their couches and turn them into active NRL fans. They've done a great job so far of doing that, though the redcliffe stadium nonsense is holding them back imo.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
one game memberships that are cheaper than a gate ticket are a great way to make your numbers look good. For membership numbers to have any relevance we would need to see a break down of what types they are. We've seen with the Tigers what the true picture can look like when you take away the fudging.

On the Dolphins, the goal was always to get passive Brisbane RL fans off their couches and turn them into active NRL fans. They've done a great job so far of doing that, though the redcliffe stadium nonsense is holding them back imo.
Agree on the rubbery nature of membership numbers. But it is a metric that our opponents have been exploiting for years to look more popular so good to see we've caught a trick. You're right, memberships are a great way to make attending games affordable. I've got a 4 game Broncos membership this year and it was cheap as chips in the lower bowl behind the posts.

Yeah, I don't love the Kayo games. I can see that they want to honour their heritage and traditional supporter base which is not a terrible move sentiment-wise. Without knowing the financials behind a Kayo v Suncorp game, they do seem to be limiting themselves though.

I've always been of the mind that commercial realities will push more and more games to Suncorp. The Sunshine Coast game disappeared as soon as the Sunny Coast didn't pay and I'm glad to see that it went to Suncorp instead of Kayo.

It's a tough one, they obviously want to maintain a significant presence at Redcliffe. If it is one or two games moving forward, I'd rather they try and finance a 25k stadium so at least the crowds are decent. Tigers game in front of 22k at a ''mini Suncorp'' at Redcliffe would have been rocking for example.

Vlad59

Juniors
Agree on the rubbery nature of membership numbers. But it is a metric that our opponents have been exploiting for years to look more popular so good to see we've caught a trick. You're right, memberships are a great way to make attending games affordable. I've got a 4 game Broncos membership this year and it was cheap as chips in the lower bowl behind the posts.

Yeah, I don't love the Kayo games. I can see that they want to honour their heritage and traditional supporter base which is not a terrible move sentiment-wise. Without knowing the financials behind a Kayo v Suncorp game, they do seem to be limiting themselves though.

I've always been of the mind that commercial realities will push more and more games to Suncorp. The Sunshine Coast game disappeared as soon as the Sunny Coast didn't pay and I'm glad to see that it went to Suncorp instead of Kayo.

It's a tough one, they obviously want to maintain a significant presence at Redcliffe. If it is one or two games moving forward, I'd rather they try and finance a 25k stadium so at least the crowds are decent.
He’ll never criticise the fumblers mate. Ever.

Perth Red

Post Whore

It's a tough one, they obviously want to maintain a significant presence at Redcliffe. If it is one or two games moving forward, I'd rather they try and finance a 25k stadium so at least the crowds are decent. Tigers game in front of 22k at a ''mini Suncorp'' at Redcliffe would have been rocking for example.
Taking a home game to Perth still baffles me! I didnt think they were short of cash? Though I did see a kid in a dolphins jersey in Mandurah yesterday so maybe they are fan recruiting here lol. They havent done a Perth membership though like Souths used to do.

An example of why the figures are so fudged. A Dolphins Battle of Brisbane Silver membership (game v Broncos) is $40, to buy a silver priced seat for the game is $95! even as a Broncos fan you'd buy a dolphins membership and give the membership pack to op shop and save $55!

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Taking a home game to Perth still baffles me! I didnt think they were short of cash? Though I did see a kid in a dolphins jersey in Mandurah yesterday so maybe they are fan recruiting here lol. They havent done a Perth membership though like Souths used to do.

An example of why the figures are so fudged. A Dolphins Battle of Brisbane Silver membership (game v Broncos) is $40, to buy a silver priced seat for the game is $95! even as a Broncos fan you'd buy a dolphins membership and give the membership pack to op shop and save $55!
Re: Dolphins taking a game to Perth. Yes, that's how I feel about Storm taking home games away from Melbourne (for very different reasons of course). We have one Melbourne team carving out a niche down there, I don't think it is wise to be taking games to Brisbane even though the Storm are popular here.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
At 19 Apr. Sourced from club tallies on websites + news articles.

TeamMembers
Brisbane53,672
Canberra21,084
Canterbury-
Cronulla16,000
Dolphins30,000
Gold Coast-
Manly-
Melbourne20,000
Newcastle29,451
North Qld18,280
Parramatta-