What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Origin III - Wed 17 Jul - QLD 4-14 NSW @ Suncorp

Series: QLD v NSW

• Queensland

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • New South Wales

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King hit

Coach
My apologies to Michael McGuire I had doubts over him because he isn’t an ex player. Got bad memories of Bellamy’s reign of terror but he has really proved me wrong. Made some great selections and handled the situation outstandingly

Munky

Coach
He was up and down with us too, I think he's just got better with age. More consistent and almost completely removed the bonehead plays from his game.

Barnett had some great effort plays in defence.

Moving fast from marker or when an opportunity was unfolding he'd rush over as cover.

Compare that to Hammer who jogged toward Moses as he ran straight through.

no name

Coach
IM not gunna pretend that coaching the tigers isnt the hardest gig in the game, however I think these days theres two seperate coaches. Rep Coaches and Club Coaches. Madge to me is the perfect rep coach. Hes great for a short campaign with good players who he doesnt need to improve their skillset. The fulltime intensity gets too much over a whole year. You just have to look at his ending at souths. Missing 2 finals series with the likes of INglis, Burgess, Crichton, Reynolds, Cook, Walker etc. They sack him and then make the next 6 prelims.

I mean Craig Bellamy lost 3 Origin Series in a row to Mal Meninga LOL
Yep, Madge is the perfect origin coach.
High intensity for 10 days at a time. And even then doesn’t need to be as intense because he’s dealing with the best of the best.
I had massive doubts leading into game 2 but he stuck with his plan and it paid off.

Reflector

Juniors
How do NRL officials watch this and think Klown is the man for the job?
Reminds me of that doco on the 1978 finals series where Greg Hartley addresses allegations that he was paid off. Tellingly, while he says the notion he was rewarded financially for showing favour to some teams (AKA Manly) is nonsense, he does talk about how special it was getting to ref on the Kangaroo tour...

Klein is their gimp.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Yep, Madge is the perfect origin coach.
High intensity for 10 days at a time. And even then doesn’t need to be as intense because he’s dealing with the best of the best.
I had massive doubts leading into game 2 but he stuck with his plan and it paid off.
Not picking Api and picking Jake for his little cameos AND making him captain were terrible calls. All's well that ends well I guess

Glen

Bench
Why do they keep persisting with Ashley Klein in these big games? Another mind-boggling performance where fans of both sides hate his guts

no name

Coach
My apologies to Michael McGuire I had doubts over him because he isn’t an ex player. Got bad memories of Bellamy’s reign of terror but he has really proved me wrong. Made some great selections and handled the situation outstandingly
I wonder if Gordie will eat his humble pie for giving it to Madge for never playing origin?

yobbo84

Coach
IM not gunna pretend that coaching the tigers isnt the hardest gig in the game, however I think these days theres two seperate coaches. Rep Coaches and Club Coaches. Madge to me is the perfect rep coach. Hes great for a short campaign with good players who he doesnt need to improve their skillset. The fulltime intensity gets too much over a whole year. You just have to look at his ending at souths. Missing 2 finals series with the likes of INglis, Burgess, Crichton, Reynolds, Cook, Walker etc. They sack him and then make the next 6 prelims.

I mean Craig Bellamy lost 3 Origin Series in a row to Mal Meninga LOL
If Madge wants future NRL success he needs to go the Bennett/Boyd route and have senior players follow him around who have his back.

We had Burgess, Sutton and Inglis backing him saying to the other players "If you want to win, this is what it takes". Once he lost them (cough Arizona cough), he lost the group.

Anyway, at Origin he has 17 of those blokes. As long as he picks the right side, with Slater coaching QLD - we should have some very good series over the next few years.