What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Round 1 - Vs Sea Eagles

callmack1

Staff member
1st of September 2023. The day it all ended, and our 2023 Season officially came crashing down. It's been a long 178 days since then and I've waited a long time just to start this thread and do this post but we're finally there. Finally, the 2024 NRL Telstra Premiership Season is upon us. With it brings new beginnings, new challenges, new learnings, new hope. What will 2024 bring us? Where will we be come October? Who knows? But what I do know is that the journey to being there at the end, starts now.

We kick off our Season THIS WEEK against an old foe, the Sea Eagles on Sunday afternoon our time. Except this isn't just any Round 1 game. It will be one of the most historic nights in Rugby League history as our game marks the first time an official NRL game has been played anywhere but Aus and NZ. It's such a privledge and an honor to kick off the 2024 Season on American soil in Vegas, and I for one, couldn't be more excited.

What an opponent to do it against too, our old foes Manly. Another traditional rival of ours with our rivalry stretching back almost 80 years now. And boy, has it been one hell of a rivalry that includes plenty of feeling. It's no secret both sides don't like each other. Well, everyone hates Manly anyway. But in all seriousness, it has been one heck of a rivalry that's included countless big games and big moments including plenty of Grand Finals and Finals. Look forward to resuming it again on Sunday on literally the biggest stage in front of a world audience!

It's not going to be an easy game that's for sure. We're slightly down on troops, our backs are already against the wall. Manly are looking pretty good with all their stars back, some new confidence around the joint, and the addition of Luke Brooks. They will bring it. Like us, they'll feed off the Vegas emotion. make no mistake, 2024 Manly are going to be a different beast. But you know what, so are we. If Cody plays, I think we can get this one. If he doesn't, well, it'll be extremely tough. Will go into tactics later in the week as we build up to kick off but for now, let's just soak it all in and enjoy prepping for our first game.

So here we go, strap yourselves in and get ready because the show is about to get on the road!!! The 2024 NRL Telstra Premiership is finally here! Vegas is finally here!

I'm ready.

callmack1

Staff member
Rumors today that Cody won't play. They're just rumors but ughhh I really hope theyaren't true. We need him out there! Without him, we can still do it, but it will be immensely harder, and I become a lot less confident. Fingers crossed.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 1,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Kennar
4. Tass
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Keppie
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray (C)

14. Havili
15. Duncan
16. Moale
17. Burgess

Pretty self-explanatory but there are a couple of spots that are difficult to pick. I know there's a lot of chat about Gagai making his debut, but I think Kennar will nab that. I kind of hope it's Gags, he has more upside, but I think they'll name Richie there. The Charity Shield indicates that.

Milne is a lock for right wing for now.

The starting pack explains itself.

Then, on the bench, it gets tricky. And the thing is, it could all be determined by injuries. If they think Cook is a risk, they'd have Pete at 14. But I think Cooky will be good to go. And because it could be such a forward-orientated game, I'd go with Liva. He's a bigger body who can play a prop role well, but we also know he goes alright at hooker if need be. Burgess and Duncan are givens, Moale gets the other spot for now. I think Tallis or Cam will have to spend some time on the edge.

The first team list Tuesday of the year tomorrow!!! Well, I assume it will be? Dunno if they'll do it for 4pm our time still or whether they'll go 4pm LA time.

Either way, I'm pumped!!!!

callmack1

Staff member

Yeaaaaaa babyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!! Our first proper team list Tuesday of the year!!! Let's f**king go!!!! Hyped!!!

It's a pretty much expected team for our opening clash, with a few surprises in there. I definitely didn't expect Gags to beat out Taane for that right wing spot, not at all. That seems a little odd to me. Taane has had 50-odd games of experience there and let's be honest, he does do a pretty solid job. I thought for all money he'd have that backline spot sewn up given our current backline crisis, we need all the experience we can get!

In saying that, I am excited to see Gagai debut. What a special moment for him to do it in Vegas! Not other player can say they've done that! He must have really impressed over the summer too if he's beating Taane for a Round 1 spot. Good on him! I hope he kills it.

The other dubious one is obviously no Tallis. I would have just about put my house on him being in the 17 for Round 1. Seems a bit crazy but it's pretty clear from that, that we plan to play this game through the middle and JD wanted to go with more size.

Not sold on Kennar at center but who else are we gonna play there?

Glad to see Cody named!!!

Our pack is basically full strength, very strong.

Keppie makes his Rabbitohs debut which is well earned.

The rest of the side is as predicted, and I can't wait to see them all get out there for Round 1!!

Ahhhhh it's good to be back to regular programming!!

callmack1

Staff member

Let's be honest, Manly are looking pretty strong I reckon. Their backline especially.

callmack1

Staff member

So glad and relieved that it sounds like Cody is good to go. That changes a lot for us. Can we take this as gospel though??

callmack1

Staff member

Cody looks to be out there and participating in a full session with the team.

That was quite cool to hear a first-hand diary account from Cooky!

callmack1

Staff member
I still think the biggest challenge in this game is going to be focusing on the task at hand and not getting distracted. Playing in ground-breaking new territory at such a big event and such a history making day for the game, is going to be difficult to manage mentally.

Of course, as a player, soak it up, but keep your focus.

callmack1

Staff member
Last edited:

Thadius

Juniors
Very tough game first up especially with that very average 3/4 line we're putting out there. I expect Cherry will exploit this at every opportunity. He's a quality player and a smart one.

But with Cody now named to play, we have a chance at least. I was fearful that if he came out we'd have to cop the very ordinary Hawkins and Manly would then destroy us as a result.

callmack1

Staff member

That was pretty friggin special I gotta say!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Ohhhhh man, today has been one hell of an exciting day and I don't know about you guys, but it's all starting to finally feel very real and very exciting! I'm starting to get those butterflies in my stomach already and it's still a couple days to go.

The boys have touched down in Vegas, they're finally there, and all the promotional stuff is beginning. We have the Fox League launch, and the Fox League shows which look very exciting and seeing photos of Cooky standing with the kit on in front of the trophy in Vegas just makes you realise that we're finally here and Round 1 in Vegas is upon us. I'm so ready! Let's f**king goooooo!!!!

callmack1

Staff member
The launch photos seemingly confirm that we'll make history in Vegas wearing our away kit. I thought they were going to go with the home jersey as that's our main strip but oh well, I guess they're both basically the same jersey.

callmack1

Staff member

Some strong words from Trell there. God, I'd love to see him deliver on Sunday!!