What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Round 1 - Vs Sea Eagles

callmack1

Staff member
It's all really heating up now!!! Just one sleep to gooooo!!!

callmack1

Staff member
I've had a busy day today but have finally caught up on all the game day eve stuff. How good is it to have a proper captain's run day back with all the things that come along with that? The captain's run gallery, JD's interview etc. Feels like forever since we've had that so I'm beyond hyped!!!

Nice and relaxed, just how we like it the day before such a big event. JD seems very cool, calm, and collected but I'm sure the nerves and intensity will be there. As he said though, we don't want to waste energy getting all pumped up too early so let's save it for tomorrow.

Cody confirmed to play which is a huge in!!! Thank god.

I'm going to watch this on game day.

callmack1

Staff member

1-17 at this stage.

One f**king sleep to go!!! I don't even know how the hell I'm going to sleep to be honest, I'm that excited.

This really is something that doesn't happen every day.

Pumped!!! The Season kicks off TOMORROWW!! See you all on game day.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well here we are Game Day is upon us it’s been a long off season with a lot of soul searching we have been criticised heavily in the media for the most part which I think for the most part we have deserved. We have obviously done a lot of soul searching and reviews behind closed doors. Al the prep in the off season all the hard work we have done we now need to put that into action. I want to see the boys come out taking pride in everything they do and working hard for one another. JD has now taken over the defensive side of things so we will see if we can see any change at all to the way we defend. We all know we have the attack there that won’t be an issue. And what’s more is it’s not just any round 1 it’s an absolute blockbuster a history maker that will go down in folklore yes the NRL has gone to Las Vegas what an occasion it’ll be what great exposure for our great game. It’s great that we can be the first to play a game over there and hopefully the game will grow more in America and who knows we might get some new members and fans out of it. I would love to have made the trip over but it wasn’t possible but for those that have I hope they’re having the time of our lives I’m sure it’ll top it off if we can win.

Looking at who we are playing too it’s a rival we have a strong dislike for yes we are playing Manly. We have had lots of fierce clashes with them over the years. We last beat them 13-12 last year so they will be stinging over that still and they’ll want to start well this year after not having the best year last year either. We are coming up against Seasnake too it’s always nice to get one over him. Looking at Manly they have a strong pack Haumole is a massive danger on the edge. Then of course they have DCE and Turbo who can tear any opposition side apart and they have lots of speed out wide that could trouble us. Then there is the addition of Luke Brooks who will be raring to start off with his new club with a man of the match performance he will be so hungry. So we need to defend really well and do the little things well. Winning that battle in the middle having a high completion rate and being patient in attack will be important. Make silly errors and give silly penalties away and we will pay.

For us we are weaker in the backline with Wighton, Campbell and Munro all out. Luckily we have Tassy to play right centre he will do a good job and it’s very handy we have him. Then we have Kennar at left centre he has a very tough ask in marking Koula which I’m a bot concerned about. J. Gagai has worked so hard for his opportunity I’m very happy for him making his debut second oldest South Sydney player ever to make his debut I hope he really takes this opportunity and has a great game. He has been in our system for years and he has earnt this opprtunity go well Jacob. If we win that middle battle I feel we can limit the chances Manly get out wide as well which will be important. Keppie against his former club will be emotional but we need him to keep his head and do his job for us.

Well I must say I think we all feel this that it has the feeling of a massive finals game this one with such an occasion. To all those that went over our Bunnies brothers and sisters do your best to get the boys home I want to hear that South Sydney chant going around Allegiant Stadium let’s show America how passionate we are about our Rabbitohs! I just hope our boys aren’t too overawed by the occasion we need to stick to our process as JD would say!

SO OK 6:30PM Las Vegas time I think it is and 1:30pm in Sydney tomorrow arvo wherever you are ALL RABBITOHS MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS ON YOUR FEET AS ONE AT 1:28PM TOMORROW SHOWING THE COLOURS CLAPPING YOUR HANDS AGAIN STAMPING YOUR FEET AND SCREAMING YOUR LUNGS OUT FOR OUR SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS! GO YOU GOOD THINGS LETS GO RABBBITOHS!!!

GLORY GLORY LETS GET THE SEASON OFF IN STYLE

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

ALL RABBITOHS STAND UP ALL RABBITOHS STAND UP AALLLLLL RRRAAABBBBIIITTTOOOHHSS!!!

THEIR IS ONLY ONE SOUTH SYDNEY ONE SOUTH SYDNEY WALKING ALONG SINGING A SONG SINGING GLORY GLORY GLORY ALL THE WAY!!!!!

SSTID SSTID I KNOW I AM IM SURE I AM SSTID!!!

GET EM ONSIDE ASHLEY BBBBOOOOOOOOO SECOND EFFORT LEG PULL

WHERE IS OUR SIX AGAIN BBBOOOOOOO

THEY ARE ALL IN FRONT OF THE KICKER WHERE IS OUR PENALTY WHAT ABOUT REFFING FOR BOTH TEAMS KLEIN

FORWARD PASS TOUCHIE HAVE A LOOK FAIR DINKUM

callmack1

Staff member
Rise and shine my fellow Rabbitohs members and supporters, rise and f**king shine. Wherever you are in the world, get up, get your colours on, get moving, belt out a Glory, Glory and let's gooo because today is game dayyyyy!!!!!

Round 1 is always a big one of course but in 2024, it's gone up a whole new level. At least, that's how it felt when I woke up this morning. This is not just another game. We're in Vegas, opening the Season in front of the world stage. It doesn't get any bigger than that in Round 1 that's for sure.

Today is so important for all us fans and everyone involved in South Sydney. We kick off a new Season with a real point to prove and a statement to make. It's been a big Pre-Season, hopefully righting the wrongs of 2023, and now it's time to start putting it into practice. It's time to show that last year was just a blip on the radar, we've learned from it, and we are coming for this Premiership again. The redemption arc begins here. It's a new Season, new hope, new team, new stories, new challenges, new everything. We start afresh and I am so f**king ready to go!!!

What a team to kick off 2024 against too, our old rivals from the northern beaches, Manly. So much history between our two clubs, almost 80 years of it in fact and there's always plenty of feeling there when we play them. It's no secret the two sides don't like each other, and you see that every game. Whether it's a Regular Season game, a Final, or a Grand Final, the hate never wavers. I'm sure Round 1 in Vegas will be the same.

Today is not going to be easy at all though I will admit. Manly are on the up and looking pretty good. They certainly have a point to prove in the first game of the year too. My biggest worry is the backline of theirs. It looks extremely quick and pretty damn potent, so we need to be on defensively everywhere. I'm confident we can hold them in the forwards, I'm just not so sure about the outside backs. This is where the smaller field may play into our hands today. The forward battle will be most important and that's probably the key in this one, even more so in Vegas. It'll be easier said than done but we can do it. Do it, and it will go a long way to managing their backline speed, stopping Turbo and limiting what DCE and Brooks can do.

For us, as I said, we just have to make a statement today. Yea, we're missing some firepower but this is a side that is still more than capable of winning today. I want to see the pride restored. I want to see the passion restored and I want to see the hunger restored. We are South Sydney! The oldest, proudest and loudest club there is. Get out there and show it!! Our pack is strong, Cody is playing and Trell is ready for a big one. That could be enough we just have to defend well once again, I want to see a big improvement there, and hold the ball. Those are the two biggest areas I'll be looking at.

I can't believe we're here already but well, here we are and here we f**king goooo!!! Round 1, the start of a new era, the start of Rabbitohs rising. They say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas but a win here could give us huge confidence and morale to take back home. Go do it boys, One shot, one opportunity. Let's nail it.

Glory, Glory.

callmack1

Staff member

Pacing the floor now. My heartrate is through the roof as we're about to get our Season underway. The time is now, the Rabbitohs are rising. Let's f**king go!!! I'm ready. 24 is goooooo!!!

Put on a show under the bright lights of Vegas boys!! Complete and defend like your lives depend on it.

Whatever happens here, we're about to make history. Let's goooooo!!!

Up the Bunnies!! Glory Glory.

Enjoy everyone!

Thumper

Juniors
First game of the year and we put in that performance. Same as last year. Drop balls putting ourselves under pressure. No resolve to defend the errors. Not punch in attack.
moale runs like he’s in the park on a Sunday.

Hellray

Juniors
Very disappointing first game. Kenner is not an a grade centre, Tass was horrendous also. Moale’s error after we got the lead back was the momentum killer that changed the game.

Womada

Juniors
Agreed, get rid of Kennard. Lucky to score that last try when Johnston was wide open .
Another sad but usual Rabbitohs failing at the end performance
Need a new kicker , Mitchel gets 2 from 5......sad as well

Travitoh

First Grade
Their pack dominated ours. We looked slow, immobile and unfit. 5.85 pre-contact metres to our 4.81. Manly errors were the only reason we were in the contest at half time.

Last edited:

Thumper

Juniors
Very disappointing first game. Kenner is not an a grade centre, Tass was horrendous also. Moale’s error after we got the lead back was the momentum killer that changed the game.
We know Kennar isn’t fi
I thought Gagai held his own on debut. Deserves to keep his spot ahead of Milne and Thompson imo
agreed. Gagai was good with the ball.
let him play centre and play Thompson on the wing. Kennar can’t play again.

callmack1

Staff member
Ughhhh God, that was pretty damn frustrating that. Jeez I feel frustrated right now. That game was completely there for the taking. It was all on a platter for us to go on with, but it was a complete capitulation with about 30 minutes to go. So extremely frustrating and I'm finding it hard to get my head around.

Maybe my opinion will change after watching the replay, but I'm struggling to see what the people who say we were poor in the first 50 minutes see. I thought we looked really good! Not perfect of course, but as a whole, I thought we were going along quite nicely. We were completing well, making decent yardage, working as a team, varying the play a little, the kicking game was solid enough and I know we did concede two pretty soft tries, but I was impressed with some of our defensive efforts. The scramble to turn Manly away on a couple of occasions was outstanding and that's something we didn't really see last year. We weren't perfect on attack, but we did ice four opportunities and ask many other questions. So, I thought the attack was functioning well for a Round 1 game. Again, I may change my opinion after watching it back, but we can't let the result cloud our judgement of the first 50 minutes, it was a decent effort. Again, not perfect, because there were still a few poor moments, but pretty good and I was content.

However, Moale made an error after the Johnston try, and it all just fell apart from there. It was a complete collapse of spectacular proportion. A complete capitulation. It was error after error from then on and our defence just went back to being paper thin. Honestly, it was a putrid effort at defence. All Manly's tries in the second half were pretty soft. Really soft in fact. I couldn't believe it. Absolute turnstile stuff and some damn awful reads. From there, the poor attitude returned, and it looked like we couldn't do anything, or didn't want to do anything to get out of it. All one-out running and just had nothing.

It was extremely concerning the way we just folded after having the game on a platter for us. The good sides go on with it after that, we didn't. It looked a hell of a lot like 2023 to me, that last 30 minutes and I must admit, I am concerned after seeing that.

I know it's Round 1, I get it. I know we somewhat bet ourselves with poor discipline and kept shooting ourselves in the foot so I guess we can take something out of that, but the defence and the soft underbelly is just so worrying. All Pre-Season, the talk was about defence, and then we come out and concede 36 points to Manly of all teams. It's not acceptable. Especially after we were defending so well up until that point.

It's annoying how we are so hot and cold. We have it in us but just can't do it. It's Round 1, let's not lose our shit but I must say, that is a reality check. I am concerned because it just looked a lot like last year.

Boy, do we have some work to do.