What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

themacemaceman

Juniors
I wouldnt be getting to excited about the potential Wayne return either.
As much as I would love it to come true, he doesn’t always do what’s expected of him. There’s been a few occasions where he was going to a certain club and a deal was pretty much done and he’s pulled the pin at the 11th hour because of a media leak or something like that.
He doesn’t like to be predictable.

doyen

Bench
COOK has always been average IMO---glad to see he's finally got the bullet---I hope Sths stick with Mamo & give him time to establish himself--good to see some new faces in the side--Jye GRAY ; it's a big ask for him !!! Sths should push really hard for Bennett---he'd be keen to return to us,I reckon !!

Nafedogg

Juniors
Ben and Shane Walker have put there name up as coaching the Rabbitohs, reported by redandgreencentral on Instagram.

Thumper

Juniors
The board should be sack immediately if they have chosen Mal to be the interim coach. What a f**king disaster.

Hellray

Juniors
The board should be sack immediately if they have chosen Mal to be the interim coach. What a f**king disaster.
Why is this a bad thing? Just more curious of your opinion.
It’s only interim and he would have a stronger voice that some of our more “vocal and stubborn” personalities on the roster would listen to.

Everyone here wants change, I just can’t see how sacking JD and expecting a rookie coach in Ben Hornby to be able to be a stronger voice in the locker room we all need.

Meninga has experience coaching and has dealt with big egos before. Until we sign a fulltime coach how is he not a decent option over another rookie coach

Thumper

Juniors
It’s only interim and he would have a stronger voice that some of our more “vocal and stubborn” personalities on the roster would listen to.

Everyone here wants change, I just can’t see how sacking JD and expecting a rookie coach in Ben Hornby to be able to be a stronger voice in the locker room we all need.

Meninga has experience coaching and has dealt with big egos before. Until we sign a fulltime coach how is he not a decent option over another rookie coach
He’s not a coach. Michael Hagan does all Mals coaching. Game plan wise he is rubbish. Motivating the guys maybe he’s a good choice. I’d get madge back. We have gone soft. He’s the man to bring it back.

Hellray

Juniors

He’s not a coach. Michael Hagan does all Mals coaching. Game plan wise he is rubbish. Motivating the guys maybe he’s a good choice. I’d get madge back. We have gone soft. He’s the man to bring it back.
Totally agree Madge would bring back a tougher mentality to the team.
But again if it’s just for the rest of this season until we get a real coach, why not.

it can be the same, Hornby may actually coach but at least having Mal there to front players and media we may get some better results. Hell maybe he bring hagan along for the ride also to get the results

Pauly1

Juniors
Please not Mal , he is a dud coach and would only confuse the issue further.
Madge would be good, don't know about Bennet. He seems to leave his clubs in a mess when he leaves a club, after all he did trick us to sign JD when he finished up.

themacemaceman

Juniors
COOK has always been average IMO---glad to see he's finally got the bullet---I hope Sths stick with Mamo & give him time to establish himself--good to see some new faces in the side--Jye GRAY ; it's a big ask for him !!! Sths should push really hard for Bennett---he'd be keen to return to us,I reckon !!
I read the latest book on Bennett last year.
He did enjoy his time a South’s apparently.
Phoned Cody on the first day of training when he was at the dolphins. I think he missed some of the boys

callmack1

Staff member

Certainly is a positive sign. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear from this meeting, that Trell takes ownership and responsibility, that he is fully committed to the club and the game, and that he's going to work hard while suspended. We go all three which is great.

This is a big moment in Trell's career. It's probably the first time a club management have really put the foot down with him and challenged him. It's the first time anyone has really said "enough is enough." It needed to happen a long time ago but better late than never, I guess.

I'm going to say that this, right now, this is a make-or-break moment for Latrell and his career. We will either see him do that same, or worse, play the victim and kick stones; or finally, we'll see him get serious, get some genuine desire and hunger, and we'll see him play career-best Footy. It's all on him and I hope he makes the right choice.

This meeting and his reported response to it is a good start.

callmack1

Staff member

Gotta say, I'm a little shocked at the reaction to the Mal news. Everyone seems to hate the idea! Me? I'm all for it!! In fact, I find it a very exciting prospect.

I get when people say technically wise, he might not be the best coach but the biggest problem in our club at the moment is standards, work ethic, and managing personalities. Who are the coaches that could fix all this? Bellamy, Wayne, and Mal. That's it for mine. Mal is someone who just demands respect and if we want to fix the culture and the standards, well than look no further than Mal. He'll do it and he'll do it fast.

I know he had strong teams, but you don't win that many Origins and Tests by fluke. He is a great coach, and the evidence is all there.

I think Mal is exactly the kind of coach we need right now. Someone to re-install the values, hard work and standards. I'm all for it! Not getting my hopes up, but I'd love it if we got him!

I'd almost feel like maybe we could salvage something out of 2024 afterall.

speedster

Juniors

Mate, we need a man manager right now. That's our real issue. Hornby is across all the game plan stuff but we need a big personality to get all the boys to pull their heads in and pull together. He is a motivator and a larger than life personality that commands everyone's attention. He's coached Latrell, Cam, Jack, Cooky and Campbell for the Kangaroos and he could be good for Cody getting back on track too.

Madge has Origin coming up. He's busy as is Slater. Mal commands respect.

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
The hooker we wrongly shafted a few years back to retain COOK will probably tackle us out of winning our next game--he will probably come up with 85 monster tackles---if I was Madge I'd have McInnes on our SOO bench---always a more real RL player than Cook !!
Meninga is an absolute legend of our game & a top Aust. coach---I'd certainly consider big Mal !!!

handyman2190

Bench
Mal has dealt with egos and knowitall personalitys after all he coached origin to 9 season wins and has 88% win rate for australia,so i think he knows its not easy but he knows its short term so he will make the hard decisions,im all for it and if he brings hagan so be it,Jd was told to get an experienced assistant and refused ,using reserves coach.
Maguire can come next year

Travitoh

First Grade
DCE being frozen out of the Qld side after falling out with some of the heavy hitters during Mal's time in charge concerns me. Is he really going to sort the squad out or is he just going to cuddle the problem children?

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
DCE being frozen out of the Qld side after falling out with some of the heavy hitters during Mal's time in charge concerns me. Is he really going to sort the squad out or is he just going to cuddle the problem children?
What's Mal got to do with DCE not being liked by the veteran QLD stars?
So, after being the top side in the comp, and a love test all round, suddenly all the guys hate each other, or more to the point, hate Latrell and/or Cody?
have you given consideration to the possibility maybe they think JD sucks?

callmack1

Staff member

Ahhh yesss!!! Finally, some extremely positive news in all this darkness! I am so friggin happy to see Jye re-sign, before his debut too which is even better.

He is our brightest prospect coming through and who knows, he could be anything. Certainly looks the part, has the speed, skills and attitude for sure.

Can't wait to see him debut this weekend and I'm very excited he's re-signed. This is a crucial one for the future.