What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Squad List

thebigredv

First Grade
And to think AFB was already our player all those years ago. If only he hadn’t done the wrong thing in his personal life we could have benefitted majorly. Feels like we are constantly paying this price these days - AFB, JDB, Amone, Sailor, Burgess, Vaughan..list goes on.

Now here we are all pining over AFB, some even willing to trade another top tier player for his services. It’s all very unfortunate.

inside_pass

Bench
And to think AFB was already our player all those years ago. If only he hadn’t done the wrong thing in his personal life we could have benefitted majorly. Feels like we are constantly paying this price these days - AFB, JDB, Amone, Sailor, Burgess, Vaughan..list goes on.

Now here we are all pining over AFB, some even willing to trade another top tier player for his services. It’s all very unfortunate.
The thing is would he have progressed into the player he is today if he had stayed at the Dragons?
I don't think so, especially being coached by the morons at this bumbling club.
Him leaving was the best thing that could have happened for his career.

hook hook

Juniors

To be honest with you, I can’t believe anyone is willing to trade JDB for anyone. Had 2 years off and was the fittest at the club while not playing. Since he has been back the biggest asset to our forward pack. Also, he didn’t play for 3 years so he could be playing at a 33 year old level at 36

hook hook

Juniors
To be honest with you, I can’t believe anyone is willing to trade JDB for anyone. Had 2 years off and was the fittest at the club while not playing. Since he has been back the biggest asset to our forward pack. Also, he didn’t play for 3 years so he could be playing at a 33 year old level at 36
Also he has desired to be a one club player which means under to stay at the dragons

Dragon David

First Grade
Also he has desired to be a one club player which means under to stay at the dragons
Retaining JDB as a one club player is essential. He is needed for his defence. Flanno needs several guys like JDB.

possm

Coach
AFB want an 'out now' solution and the Saints are the only club that can sign him for 2024 and beyond. So Flanno is in the box seat.

The Cowboys are under cap pressure for 2024 so, if Dearden is the only player willing to leave, the Cowboys will have little choice but to let him go.

kit66

Bench
Retaining JDB as a one club player is essential. He is needed for his defence. Flanno needs several guys like JDB.

Totally agree. Of course we have to keep JDB, crazy to suggest otherwise. For a team who's defence was diabolical this year JDB was one of the few shining lights in defence and also as a ball playing lock. We need more like him, that's why I suggest chasing players like Klemmer, McClean, Cam Murray and crucially at the moment getting the AFB signing in the bag. I don't know if it was noticed but this year attacking back through the ruck was really prevalent, especially from the top teams, Penrith, Roosters, Melb, kept turning the ball back in and making great metres through the middle and although our defence was shit we did ok (not good but reasonably well) at defending in that area and we need to stiffen that up further with some capable men.

On the flipside of all that, it was out wide where we were embarrassingly carved up all year so just for a start we really need to off-load and upgrade players like the Feagais (to go with ridding ourselves of Mbye and Moga). Our defence out wide was the worst I've ever seen it and Matt Feagai shouldn't even be in first grade - just watch the highlights of our Round 18 game against Cronulla with Feagai (in the 2 jersey but playing centre inside Moga) putting on the most pathetic defensive spectacle you'll ever see - you remember, when he turned his back on bombs and just let the opposition run through to catch and score - as well as tackling no-one time after time, leaving massive holes on the left. You could lay the blame for 5 or 6 of the 9 Cronulla tries at his feet.
If Amone gets off I'd be happy to try him at centre or left wing and have Flangan jnr play 7, Hunt 6, anything is better than either Feagai in first grade, it can't happen, they're useless.

Parko1310

Juniors
Totally agree. Of course we have to keep JDB, crazy to suggest otherwise. For a team who's defence was diabolical this year JDB was one of the few shining lights in defence and also as a ball playing lock. We need more like him, that's why I suggest chasing players like Klemmer, McClean, Cam Murray and crucially at the moment getting the AFB signing in the bag. I don't know if it was noticed but this year attacking back through the ruck was really prevalent, especially from the top teams, Penrith, Roosters, Melb, kept turning the ball back in and making great metres through the middle and although our defence was shit we did ok (not good but reasonably well) at defending in that area and we need to stiffen that up further with some capable men.

On the flipside of all that, it was out wide where we were embarrassingly carved up all year so just for a start we really need to off-load and upgrade players like the Feagais (to go with ridding ourselves of Mbye and Moga). Our defence out wide was the worst I've ever seen it and Matt Feagai shouldn't even be in first grade - just watch the highlights of our Round 18 game against Cronulla with Feagai (in the 2 jersey but playing centre inside Moga) putting on the most pathetic defensive spectacle you'll ever see - you remember, when he turned his back on bombs and just let the opposition run through to catch and score - as well as tackling no-one time after time, leaving massive holes on the left. You could lay the blame for 5 or 6 of the 9 Cronulla tries at his feet.
If Amone gets off I'd be happy to try him at centre or left wing and have Flangan jnr play 7, Hunt 6, anything is better than either Feagai in first grade, it can't happen, they're useless.
Don't get all the hate for Mat personally. I mean, in a way I do because of his performances last year, but the hate is over the top. Fans looking for someone to blame I guess. Tries where you're outnumbered on the edge are not often the winger's fault, although some of the tries down his edge could have been avoided. I don't disagree he had a bad year and his defence wasn't up to scratch, but the short memories of people aren't allowing them to remember his 2022 season. Was clearly our best winger, reliable in defence, safe as houses under the high ball, showed he has a lethal left foot step (something he can't showcase when Suli doesn't pass the ball), is hard to tackle, can finish well, and brings the ball back strongly, has a solid pass on him. He's a good player who had a bad year in my view. One good season and one bad in the top grade. Lets not forget how young the bloke is. Lets also not forget he's playing out of position. He also had the birth of his first child late last year as we were heading into pre-season and into the new year. Who knows what that was like off the field? Next year could be make or break for Mat, but I'm not willing to write him off at all. As I said, he's had a good year and a bad one. Lets wait and see how he goes in 2024.

since77

Juniors
The thing is would he have progressed into the player he is today if he had stayed at the Dragons?
I don't think so, especially being coached by the morons at this bumbling club.
Him leaving was the best thing that could have happened for his career.
You're probably right. Assuming for a moment the DV issue never happened, who's to say that the morons we had for coaches would ever have transitioned him into first grade when at the time they preferred buying and selecting retirement home rejects from other clubs.....

rasaint

Juniors
I join with Parko on Matt F. I’m not saying he is a ‘world beater’ but normally catches well, returns strongly, slow for a winger but still reasonable. I noted a few times that he has scored in heavy traffic; carrying blokes for 5 to 10 metres to score. Max his brother has struggled agree.

I will note again that 2024 is a season where I doubt our recruitment will bring any top line established players. I reckon he could add 5 to 7 kg and be an effective backrower. Finau will establish himself as a regular NRL player on the wing. Tamale looks genuine chance also.

Don't get all the hate for Mat personally. I mean, in a way I do because of his performances last year, but the hate is over the top. Fans looking for someone to blame I guess. Tries where you're outnumbered on the edge are not often the winger's fault, although some of the tries down his edge could have been avoided. I don't disagree he had a bad year and his defence wasn't up to scratch, but the short memories of people aren't allowing them to remember his 2022 season. Was clearly our best winger, reliable in defence, safe as houses under the high ball, showed he has a lethal left foot step (something he can't showcase when Suli doesn't pass the ball), is hard to tackle, can finish well, and brings the ball back strongly, has a solid pass on him. He's a good player who had a bad year in my view. One good season and one bad in the top grade. Lets not forget how young the bloke is. Lets also not forget he's playing out of position. He also had the birth of his first child late last year as we were heading into pre-season and into the new year. Who knows what that was like off the field? Next year could be make or break for Mat, but I'm not willing to write him off at all. As I said, he's had a good year and a bad one. Lets wait and see how he goes in 2024.
Agreed, unsure how as supporters we could blame any of the players given the poor game plan we rolled out each week in both attack and defence.

Like Sloan, Fegai is blamed for the team conceding tries. Our middles were unfit. We tried to play a compressed defence, thus creating space out wide for the opposition. The lack of communication and chemistry in defence is something all players were responsible for. Not just the last player closest to where the tries were scored.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Except he is the only NRL play now who doesn't know what a hip drop tackle is.

Draginzaaar

Bench
AFB want an 'out now' solution and the Saints are the only club that can sign him for 2024 and beyond. So Flanno is in the box seat.

The Cowboys are under cap pressure for 2024 so, if Dearden is the only player willing to leave, the Cowboys will have little choice but to let him go.
He's staying at the Warriors in 2024.

kit66

Bench

No disrespect intended ( I like your input usually) but that's one of the weirdest posts I've ever read. I know people see things differently, that's natural but this is way off. M.Feagai is one of the worst wingers in the NRL. Defensively extremely poor and a low work rate in attack. He'll take hit ups when he's virtually forced to but never, never comes infield looking for work or following the play as a back up. He is the complete opposite of someone like Blacklock or Morris. He made a few good runs in 2022 but to say he had a good season that year is surely a beat up. He averaged 3 tackles a game that year and missed more than a quarter of attempted tackles. So he's out on the wing doing nothing, using up no energy and still can't complete his tackles or get into the right position to clean up a bomb. Yes, he his playing out of position but god help us if he's ever moved to the centres. Watch these highlights of the Cronulla match I mentioned, it's scary how bad he was in this game playing centre, he didn't have a clue, nfi, he might as well have been sitting in the stands for all the use he was.
https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telstra-premiership/2023/round-18/sharks-v-dragons/

We need someone out there with some speed and defensive skills at the very least, that's not too much to ask. Someone who can come in and make things happen or come infield looking for an off-load or make a quick dart out of dummy half or god forbid give his forwards a rest would be a bonus. Feagai ticks none of those boxes, not one.
I don't hate him, I just think we can do better. I can't see Flanagan persisting with him if he doesn't improve 100%.
On Max, well even Hook knew he was a last resort back up for firsts.

I predict also that we'll regret letting Alex Lobb go to Wests.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I would rather watch the highlights or Feagai running through all those Bronco's players to score or scoring the last minute against the Roosters. Slater, Hodges, etc have had shockers as well when they started but the got better as they got older. Feagai I feel will be the same. As per Sloan he has had bad coaches and Suli can also be blamed for the defence. Flanno will sort that out in 2024.

Like Sloan, I think Feagai will improve immensely under Flanno. If not Flanno will move him on. Flanno I am sure is putting him on his toes for 2024, lets see how he handles it.

No disrespect intended ( I like your input usually) but that's one of the weirdest posts I've ever read. I know people see things differently, that's natural but this is way off. M.Feagai is one of the worst wingers in the NRL. Defensively extremely poor and a low work rate in attack. He'll take hit ups when he's virtually forced to but never, never comes infield looking for work or following the play as a back up. He is the complete opposite of someone like Blacklock or Morris. He made a few good runs in 2022 but to say he had a good season that year is surely a beat up. He averaged 3 tackles a game that year and missed more than a quarter of attempted tackles. So he's out on the wing doing nothing, using up no energy and still can't complete his tackles or get into the right position to clean up a bomb. Yes, he his playing out of position but god help us if he's ever moved to the centres. Watch these highlights of the Cronulla match I mentioned, it's scary how bad he was in this game playing centre, he didn't have a clue, nfi, he might as well have been sitting in the stands for all the use he was.
https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telstra-premiership/2023/round-18/sharks-v-dragons/

We need someone out there with some speed and defensive skills at the very least, that's not too much to ask. Someone who can come in and make things happen or come infield looking for an off-load or make a quick dart out of dummy half or god forbid give his forwards a rest would be a bonus. Feagai ticks none of those boxes, not one.
I don't hate him, I just think we can do better. I can't see Flanagan persisting with him if he doesn't improve 100%.
On Max, well even Hook knew he was a last resort back up for firsts.

I predict also that we'll regret letting Alex Lobb go to Wests.
How often do you see Feagai beat his opposing winger on the outside? Rarely if the truth is known. This is common for a top flight winger in the NRL.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Savelio is also a bit of a young gun

I see alot of talent there

there is been some surprising kids thrown out on the wing over the years that just worked at clubs

Sav is a pretty exciting centre / wing and if good enough sometimes wing in FG you get your first shot at.........especially ina year trying to make top8 so more ready for a top4 type charge in a year or two

SnowDragon

Juniors
How often do you see Feagai beat his opposing winger on the outside? Rarely if the truth is known. This is common for a top flight winger in the NRL.

some guys rely on speed to get round the opponent, others go thru them. I understand if you like the former, but There’s different ways to play. What’s sure, is that the slower a player is, the more they rely on the whole defensive line.

I like what I see with Fegai, regardless of the clear and concerning examples mentioned. I’m happy to start with him and see how he goes vs. The options. I also like the idea of him transferring into an edge forward, but too early in his career I’d say (at 22yrs old), but that’s where I think he will end up.

I really hope we keep him.

kit66

Bench
some guys rely on speed to get round the opponent, others go thru them. I understand if you like the former, but There’s different ways to play. What’s sure, is that the slower a player is, the more they rely on the whole defensive line.

I like what I see with Fegai, regardless of the clear and concerning examples mentioned. I’m happy to start with him and see how he goes vs. The options. I also like the idea of him transferring into an edge forward, but too early in his career I’d say (at 22yrs old), but that’s where I think he will end up.

I really hope we keep him.

Ravalawa, uses the latter approach, which was enough to get him 21 tries and 24 line breaks (in 21 games) this year. Using his strength and power to score tries few others can. Matt Feagai has neither speed nor that explosive strength and the result was 4 tries, 8 line breaks (in 23 games) this year which has to be close to the worst stats of any winger who played most of the season. Add to that most of the tries against us coming down Feagais' side and there's really no justification to give him more time or the benefit of the doubt. There shouldn't be any doubts, he's a dud.
Rava's defence is terrible but I'll take the tries in one of the lowest scoring teams in the NRL.

I think the last players I seriously bagged out were Norman and Aitken but even those guys had more to offer than Matt and if he plays 2nd row in first grade within the next 8 years, I'll eat my keyboard.