What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

docbrown

Coach
I think it is so fta can spruik higher numbers to advertisers, kind of like how netflix says 'x' show had so many millions of viewing hours instead of telling how many people watched.
Makes it seem more popular.
100% correct. I find it funny though that people think this is some new thing. The 'Reach' measurement has been around for a long time. I'm not saying it's a scam but you have to be pretty stupid to fall for it if you are a potential advertiser. Even 5 minutes of talking to someone at another company who has paid for long term ad slots can explain it to you.

But they're pushing it harder now because after 7pm FTA is essentially dying and that's peak ad revenue time. Follow through viewership is in massive decline. Even boomers watch the news then Netflix or net. Sure, 9 will run MAFS into the ground (who knew that Aussies are a bunch of busybodies who like commenting on others' crap relationships?) but it's an outlier until they introduce Your Neighbours Are F***ing Each Other: The TV Show. They rehash old reality formats but you see in the ratings each cycle interest declines.

So 20 years ago you could say to an Aussie Idol ad buyer, "Hey 2.1 million watched your ad." But you can't any more. So we use reach to go back to that higher number.

But when you think about it for more than 2 seconds -- say with the AFL last night -- 1.4 million of that 2.1 million people were essentially channel surfing. And channel surfers see an ad and then flick. So - I hate to break it to you, naive potential ad buyer, they likely didn't see your ad spot. Not even once.

That's why it's a 1 minute record for reach - if you make it 5 minutes, you cut that reach number in half.

Vlad59

Bench
100% correct. I find it funny though that people think this is some new thing. The 'Reach' measurement has been around for a long time. I'm not saying it's a scam but you have to be pretty stupid to fall for it if you a potential advertiser. Even 5 minutes of talking to someone at another company who has paid for long term ad slots can explain it to you.

But they're pushing it harder now because after 7pm FTA is essentially dying. Follow through viewership is in massive decline. Even boomers watch the news then Netflix or net. Sure, 9 will run MAFS into the ground (who knew that Aussies are a bunch of busybodies who like commenting on others' crap relationships?) but it's an outlier until they introduce Your Neighbours Are F***ing Each Other: The TV Show. They rehash old reality formats but you see in the ratings each cycle interest declines.

So 20 years ago you could say to an Aussie Idol ad buyer, "Hey 2.1 million watched your ad." But you can't any more. So we use reach to go back to that higher number.

But when you think about it for more than 2 seconds -- say with the AFL last night -- 1.4 million of that 2.1 million people were essentially channel surfing. And channel surfers see an ad and then flick. So - I had to break it to you, naive potential ad buyer, they likely didn't see your ad spot. Not even once.

That's why it's a 1 minute record for reach - if you make it 5 minutes, you cut that reach number in half.
Absolutely. The real question should be, if you treat reach seriously, is how much has FTA reach declined because it obviously has as less people watch FTA anyway. The fumblers are pushing FTA massively at the moment and are pushing the anti-siphoning line simply because that is where they see a sense of security for future tv deals. Anybody with a brain who looks at the nightly data knows FTA is falling off a cliff.

docbrown

Coach
Also for the sports fans playing the gential measuring game, My Sport Rates More Than Yours. Go ahead. Use Reach instead of a ruler to measure.

But remember Reach is easily distorted.
1) The longer the run time the bigger the reach e.g. 3 hrs > 2 hrs
2) The higher the status of the channel the bigger the reach e.g. 9 > 9 Gem
3) Take the Reach number and minus the Average number - that's the Channel Surfer number
4) If you counted Reach for more than 5 minutes, you'd reduce the Channel Surfer number by 50%
5) If you counted Reach for more than 10 minutes, you'd reduce the Channel Surfer number by 80%

So really, what are you bragging about? That a bunch of people looked at your genitals and didn't stick around for very long.

Wb1234

Immortal
100% correct. I find it funny though that people think this is some new thing. The 'Reach' measurement has been around for a long time. I'm not saying it's a scam but you have to be pretty stupid to fall for it if you are a potential advertiser. Even 5 minutes of talking to someone at another company who has paid for long term ad slots can explain it to you.

But they're pushing it harder now because after 7pm FTA is essentially dying and that's peak ad revenue time. Follow through viewership is in massive decline. Even boomers watch the news then Netflix or net. Sure, 9 will run MAFS into the ground (who knew that Aussies are a bunch of busybodies who like commenting on others' crap relationships?) but it's an outlier until they introduce Your Neighbours Are F***ing Each Other: The TV Show. They rehash old reality formats but you see in the ratings each cycle interest declines.

But when you think about it for more than 2 seconds -- say with the AFL last night -- 1.4 million of that 2.1 million people were essentially channel surfing. And channel surfers see an ad and then flick. So - I hate to break it to you, naive potential ad buyer, they likely didn't see your ad spot. Not even once.

Love island

Vlad59

Bench
Also for the sports fans playing the gential measuring game, My Sport Rates More Than Yours. Go ahead. Use Reach instead of a ruler to measure.

3) Take the Reach number and minus the Average number - that's the Channel Surfer number
4) If you counted Reach for more than 5 minutes, you'd reduce the Channel Surfer number by 50%
5) If you counted Reach for more than 10 minutes, you'd reduce the Channel Surfer number by 80%

So really, what are you bragging about? That a bunch of people looked at your genitals and didn't stick around for very long.
To sum this post up the afl admin have small penises

Wb1234

Immortal

Fumblers are emphasising if because of the huge ratings gap to rugby league

Vlad59

Bench
With the way FTA is dying, in the future the 'Reach' number will basically include anybody who walks past a television, even if it's turned off.
The naked truth for FTA is how many are watching it on Thursday night in October at 7pm when MAFS is over.

The_Wookie

Bench
Reach is to ratings like Auskick is to participation

kinda - Its more like all the promo events and school clinics and things like that - which the AFL appear to have stopped counting - instead of announcing millions of participants, theyve gone with just over half a million registered

Vlad59

Bench
kinda - Its more like all the promo events and school clinics and things like that - which the AFL appear to have stopped counting - instead of announcing millions of participants, theyve gone with just over half a million registered
Then what are they counting in QLD - 68000 participants despite clear evidence this isn’t club:team players which we count.

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench
Then what are they counting in QLD - 68000 participants despite clear evidence this isn’t club:team players which we count.

Theres several types of Auskick. Club Auskick which is essentially junior programs for under 8s i believe, School Auskick, and Auskick clinics which are external to both clubs and schools.

Vlad59

Bench
Theres several types of Auskick. Club Auskick which is essentially junior programs for under 8s i believe, School Auskick, and Auskick clinics which are external to both clubs and schools.
Then we might as well count touch footy and oztag and voila there’s another 700000 players nation wide .

Vlad59

Bench
Again I have no idea what this means

Latest posts