What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

Chris Reid

Juniors
How many rugby league forums have you been banned from? This one at least ten times from memory. Must have had dozens of alts removed from the Roar. Easily.
You tell me Justin? I know you hate me when you're trying to defend an absolute disabled flog from Western Sydney

Vlad59

Juniors
You tell me Justin? I know you hate me when you're trying to defend an absolute disabled flog from Western Sydney
I don’t hate anybody mate. I just find you highly amusing. To spend so many years (over ten by now surely) behaving in such a perverse childish manner is funny. You follow exactly the same pattern every time. It never changes. Dozens of alts, multiple bans from multiple forums for what?

Chris Reid

Juniors
I don’t hate anybody mate. I just find you highly amusing. To spend so many years (over ten by now surely) behaving in such a perverse childish manner is funny. You follow exactly the same pattern every time. It never changes. Dozens of alts, multiple bans from multiple forums for what?
You keep saying that Justin but you don't make sense mate.. You say over 10 but 2 days ago it was over 50..
Let's get a number together

Teams create overlaps when it's 13 v13. For 70 plus minutes, Qld had a numerical advantage of 13 v12. So did the result of the game surprise you in those circumstances?

Additionally, NSW had four forwards on the bench. There was no outside back or utility to adequately cover for Sua'ali'i.

As for the game itself, NSW tried hard to hang in there, but the result was decided inside the first ten minutes. The scoreline reflected it
None of that means the game was a dud.

Send-offs and sin-bins are sometimes part of RL. How teams adapt to being a man up or down is therefore also part of RL. Not ideal, but a long way from deserving dud status.

So there is no way that viewers would not of tuned out once the result was known?
According to you, the result was known after 8 mins. And you switched off at half-time. So you watched 32 mins despite knowing the result. That's dedication.

By your logic, casual fans would have switched off after 8 mins. Thereby registering in Reach ratings but not Average ratings.

The NRL Reach/Average ratio at typically 2-2.5/1 is lower than AFL and most other programming. Indicating that proportionately NRL retains more viewers for longer periods. The Reach/Average ratio for Origin was 5.306/3.436 i.e. substantially better than normal.

Something doesn't add up.

Dark Corner

Juniors
According to you, the result was known after 8 mins. And you switched off at half-time. So you watched 32 mins despite knowing the result. That's dedication.

By your logic, casual fans would have switched off after 8 mins. Thereby registering in Reach ratings but not Average ratings.

The NRL Reach/Average ratio at typically 2-2.5/1 is lower than AFL and most other programming. Indicating that proportionately NRL retains more viewers for longer periods. The Reach/Average ratio for Origin was 5.306/3.436 i.e. substantially better than normal.

Same thing happened to the English Rugby Union final today but Bath kept on fighting to the bitter end.
Sorry for talking about Union on this thread.

Iamback

Coach

I don't think they instantly switched off but say at halftime when it was 20-6 to a side with a man advantage and 9.30pm then it is easy to see people switching off. Kids with school the next day especially

Starting the game after 8pm is too late for a optimal audience but for TV is good to sell commercials for.

I don't think 5.3m people started out watching the game for example. You can't probably take out 500-600k of those just getting scores

4.5-4.7m to watch kick off is probably more realistic. For it to average 3.4m you be losing half the audience over the course of the game

It is hard to compare to last year because a new rating system and the Ashes would of taken viewers away.

There is no reason a closer game 2 couldn't see 4m or so which is huge numbers and probably more where the sports popularity sits right now

docbrown

Coach

Yes Origin held those viewers for longer. Part of that is because it is event viewing, audiences don't want to turn off the channel in case they miss something. Same with viewers flicking onto coverage, they'll watch for longer than a standard NRL viewer. Hence in an Origin you convert more 1 minute standard reach viewers into 15 minute viewers etc.

The thing about reach is -- if an NRL game went for as long as an AFL game - say 160 minutes+ etc - the reach would actually be similar. There'd be the same amount of casual viewers flicking over during the actual game time. We'll all see this come summer when we have the reach for nationally broadcast cricket matches in 3.5-4 hour prime time blocks. Although cricket now has lower appeal than both footy codes, you're simply just casting a broader net/time to pull in people who are flicking/swimming past.

I'd argue the main advantage that NRL has over AFL - and this comes back into those reach vs average ratios - is that there are fewer breaks in play. Whereas traditionally a break in player has been viewed as great for plugging in a commercial break, it's now widely seen as an opportunity for viewers - who are less committed - maybe even more ADHD - to change channels. Every quarter and half time break, every ad after a goal, you're giving an opportunity to an AFL viewer to ask themselves: "Why am I still watching this when there's 10,000 other things I could be doing?"

Iamback

Coach
Yes Origin held those viewers for longer. Part of that is because it is event viewing, audiences don't want to turn off the channel in case they miss something. Same with viewers flicking onto coverage, they'll watch for longer than a standard NRL viewer. Hence in an Origin you convert more 1 minute standard reach viewers into 15 minute viewers etc.

The thing about reach is -- if an NRL game went for as long as an AFL game - say 160 minutes+ etc - the reach would actually be similar. There'd be the same amount of casual viewers flicking over during the actual game time. We'll all see this come summer when we have the reach for nationally broadcast cricket matches in 3.5-4 hour prime time blocks. Although cricket now has lower appeal than both footy codes, you're simply just casting a broader net/time to pull in people who are flicking/swimming past.

I'd argue the main advantage that NRL has over AFL - and this comes back into those reach vs average ratios - is that there are fewer breaks in play. Whereas traditionally a break in player has been viewed as great for plugging in a commercial break, it's now widely seen as an opportunity for viewers - who are less committed - maybe even more ADHD - to change channels. Every quarter and half time break, every ad after a goal, you're giving an opportunity to an AFL viewer to ask themselves: "Why am I still watching this when there's 10,000 other things I could be doing?"

Which is why an earlier start for Origin would see the average lift. Halftime is too late and longer in Origin

Steel Saints

Juniors
None of that means the game was a dud.

Send-offs and sin-bins are sometimes part of RL. How teams adapt to being a man up or down is therefore also part of RL. Not ideal, but a long way from deserving dud status.

I remember over 20 years ago, Australia played against Great Britain. Adrian Morley was sent off after just 12 seconds of the game with a high shot on Robbie Kearns. GB virtually played an entire game with 12 men, but were narrowly beaten 22-18.

Now back to Origin, if NSW were only beaten narrowly like GB, then my opinion would change. Instead it was a comfortable win for Qld. The other thing I forgot to mention was NSW lacked direction in attack. Hynes struggled and is under pressure to keep his spot.

The thing with Origin is the ten day hype, expectation and build up towards the game. So it was disappointing to see a send off inside the first ten minutes. At the end of the day, we want to see a contest. Btw, full credit to Qld. They played well and took advantage of the send off.

I stick by with my original comment. Rightly or wrongly, everyone has their own opinion on this site

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
I remember over 20 years ago, Australia played against Great Britain. Adrian Morley was sent off after just 12 seconds of the game with a high shot on Robbie Kearns. GB virtually played an entire game with 12 men, but were narrowly beaten 22-18.

Now back to Origin, if NSW were only beaten narrowly, then my opinion would change. Instead it was a comfortable win for Qld. The other thing I forgot to mention was NSW lacked direction in attack. Hynes struggled and is under pressure to keep his spot.

The thing with Origin is this ten day hype, expectation and build up towards the game. So it is disappointing when a send off occurs inside the first ten minutes. At the end of the day, we want to see a contest.

I stick by with my original comment. Rightly or wrongly, everyone has their own opinion on this site

With the exception of soccer every other sport allows a player to get replaced after foul play.

As this becomes more frequent ( which it will ) RL has to move down that path. Especially as ticket prices and money charged to TV rise

Steel Saints

Juniors
With the exception of soccer every other sport allows a player to get replaced after foul play.

As this becomes more frequent ( which it will ) RL has to move down that path. Especially as ticket prices and money charged to TV rise
Recently they have brought in the replacement rule where the 18th player can replace someone with a game ending injury as a result of foul play.

So maybe one day, the NRL could look towards the send off rule. NRL frequently changes rules.