What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

Vlad59

Bench
Yea, not sure how you can do a "Up there Kazaly" with a set of hooters?
Problem is that the competition grew too quickly, is far too big, requires far too many players and is a diminished product as a result. The game is ugly enough as it is without having such low quality athletes kicking the ball ten metres to nobody.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I haven't seen a wafl game in years, that version of their game does not require the same size fields as the men. The grounds are far too big in the female version of their game.l thus it produces an ugly spectical. As I said, I haven't seen the game in years,it could be better than back. I wouldn't know.

The_Wookie

Bench
Posting a conparison when the nrl still had two rounds to go was disingenuous to say the least

You can blame Foxtel for the comparison at all. They did the media thing with Mediaweek that gave us the Foxgroup ratings for both the AFL and NRL at this time of the season. They also didnt mention the last two weeks of the round.

thanks very much for clearing up the inaccuracy and keeping me properly informed

I try.

Vlad59

Bench
You can blame Foxtel for the comparison at all. They did the media thing with Mediaweek that gave us the Foxgroup ratings for both the AFL and NRL at this time of the season. They also didnt mention the last two weeks of the round.

I try.
Lol

I haven't seen a wafl game in years, that version of their game does not require the same size fields as the men. The grounds are far too big in the female version of their game.l thus it produces an ugly spectical. As I said, I haven't seen the game in years,it could be better than back. I wouldn't know.
It hasn`t mate, I flicked on one their games today and it was awful, even the commentator was saying how poor the quality was, for a fumbleball commentator that`s a big call. My son came out of his room and asked why I was laughing, I said just watch this. LOL.

no wonder why the fumblers don’t talk about ratings
Wookie recommenced sharing in the BF ratings thread last week. Rather than go the whole of August without a single post to show.

With a purported 110k members, must get a bit lonely. Evokes the Rime of the Ancient Mariner -

"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink"

Problem is that the competition grew too quickly, is far too big, requires far too many players and is a diminished product as a result. The game is ugly enough as it is without having such low quality athletes kicking the ball ten metres to nobody.
Just watched a "Last two minutes" YouTube video of Geelong/Melbourne AFLW. No thrills, countless spills.

I'm afraid all the clichés are true. Group of oddly-dressed women faffing around with a big bar of soap. How does anyone take this seriously?

Vlad59

Bench
It hasn`t mate, I flicked on one their games today and it was awful, even the commentator was saying how poor the quality was, for a fumbleball commentator that`s a big call. My son came out of his room and asked why I was laughing, I said just watch this. LOL.
The funniest bit is that the afl has spent so much time in the media telling us how fantastic the players are that they actually believe it and are demanding to play on the same grounds and under the same rules as the men. You reap what you sow.

Wb1234

Immortal
Wookie recommenced sharing in the BF ratings thread last week. Rather than go the whole of August without a single post to show.

With a purported 110k members, must get a bit lonely. Evokes the Rime of the Ancient Mariner -

"Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink"
Looks like using that reach nonsense didn’t get the hoped for traction

The_Wookie

Bench
Looks like using that reach nonsense didn’t get the hoped for traction

Reach was never about Bigfooty or the viewers, its been about advertisers . Bigfootys interest in ratings has always been low - usually the ratings/crowds threads are combined. This year first time its not.

Wb1234

Immortal
The whole afl vs nrl tv ratings comparison was flawed for a very long time

for a long time comparisons were made when regional figures were ignored which were favourable to afl

on this basis the belief was because afl had exposure to more capital cities it’s tv deal should always be bigger than the nrl

then when the Telstra nrl app was a thing all those viewers weren’t counted either until it was disbanded and most reverted to Kayo or Fox

during the time the Telstra nrl app was a thing the commentary was that pay tv ratings were flat or even falling

in the last few years with all (except nz) viewers being counted we are getting the true picture for once

afls exposure to more capital cities doesn’t see them dominant ratings on fta let alone pay tv

how long it takes for the nrl to monetise its advantage is an issue but on fundamentals it’s inevitable for the nrl to get a far bigger tv deal than afl

afls failure in nsw and qld will come home to roost one day in future tv deals. Also its failure to expand outside Australia and develop additional revenue streams

Vlad59

Bench

for a long time comparisons were made when regional figures were ignored which were favourable to afl

on this basis the belief was because afl had exposure to more capital cities it’s tv deal should always be bigger than the nrl

then when the Telstra nrl app was a thing all those viewers weren’t counted either until it was disbanded and most reverted to Kayo or Fox

during the time the Telstra nrl app was a thing the commentary was that pay tv ratings were flat or even falling

in the last few years with all (except nz) viewers being counted we are getting the true picture for once

afls exposure to more capital cities doesn’t see them dominant ratings on fta let alone pay tv

how long it takes for the nrl to monetise its advantage is an issue but on fundamentals it’s inevitable for the nrl to get a far bigger tv deal than afl

afls failure in nsw and qld will come home to roost one day in future tv deals. Also its failure to expand outside Australia and develop additional revenue streams
Generally agree with most of that. 100% agree with the last paragraph. They are desperate to get a market outside Australia but they still can’t get traction in nsw and qld. On the other hand we have opportunities popping up everywhere

The_Wookie

Bench

Its still flawed. 1/3rd of the AFLs broadcast matches arent included in anyones numbers.

That hasnt been true since 2013.

On the basis that the TV networks were paying them more too.

Yes they were - just published as streaming minutes not an average like Oztam. The app numbers were even published from time to time in NRL reports. The same applied for tjhe AFL.

As for desperate to get a market outside of Australia - I dont believe they are. The AFL didnt fund the China thing - that was mostly paid by a Port Adelaide sponsor and Tourism bodies in Australia. NZ was a haily mary by St Kilda and funded by Wellington council.

The AFL has put almost no effort into its own International Cup - which features no australian teams, and puts pitiful levels of funding into bodies like the USAFL and AFL Europe/London/Canada/NZ.

When did this happen? I dont remember this discussion at all.

All viewers have been counted as published since 2013. The NRL has released full season counts from time to time since at least 2016. Unfortunately some media outlets still believe in the primacy of the capital city numbers and only report them.

Its little hard to tell given 30% of their ratings werent reported this year due to the changes in VOZ. Prior to this though, there certainly was a decent gap in AFL/NRL FTA ratings.

Its not just about raw ratings. It has never been about raw ratings.

The AFL bought the second most used stadium in the country in 2016. They have owned 49% of Champion Data for decades. And they did both these things prior to the NRLs property buying spree.

You can try and make it sound like the AFL are playing catch up and failing all you like, but one of the AFL and NRL made a billion dollars in HQ revenue last year and the other was 300 million behind.