What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

Starkers

Bench
That's their problem. At some point NRL may simply become a loss leader to prevent a massive subscribe churn.

Or to put it another, how big will the hit to Foxtel revenues be if they lose the majority of the NRL subscriber base to another streamer?
The next big question is, should the NRL leave to a different streaming service, how will News react through their papers? I suspect it would be another doom loop whereby AFL will be the focus and northern readers will simply leave.

At least at the next negotiation the NRL knows what AFL is getting. Good place to start...

That's their problem. At some point NRL may simply become a loss leader to prevent a massive subscribe churn.

Or to put it another, how big will the hit to Foxtel revenues be if they lose the majority of the NRL subscriber base to another streamer?
Re the Covid payment reductions, PVL insisted a problem for Foxtel was a problem for NRL.

The next big question is, should the NRL leave to a different streaming service, how will News react through their papers? I suspect it would be another doom loop whereby AFL will be the focus and northern readers will simply leave.
All available evidence indicates PVL is not prepared to risk antagonizing the Murdoch empire.

At least at the next negotiation the NRL knows what AFL is getting. Good place to start...
Probably more pertinent that NRL clubs know what AFL are getting.

If NRL settle for another relatively poor deal, have a nasty feeling that Reach data will be cited as justification.

The adoption of Reach as standard is great timing for Nine and Foxtel.

Canard

Immortal
It's going to be an odd negotiation if Ch9 (stop whitewashing this by saying Stan) do bid for the lot.

Because any Foxtel bid will be contingent on Ch9 broadcasting 3 or 4 games a week also (a combined bid), so it will be two parties working together but also against each other.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
As a kayo subscriber I got a free month subscription for binge, it’s sht and full of ads! needless to say it’s cancelled.

For what I used to pay for my foxtel set top box platinum package 5 years ago I can still get kayo, Disney, Netflix and prime for much less now!
Why anyone still has a set top box service is beyond me!
Anyone serious about sport needs it. Streaming simply isn't live

Frank Burge

Juniors
What happens if 9 wants everything and tells the NRL they are only bidding if they get the 9/stan package . That would leave Fox in a hole, either they team up with 10 who also might want everything with their streaming service or 7 who already have AFL and probably not interested in 3/4 games of NRL every week.

Wb1234

Referee
What happens if 9 wants everything and tells the NRL they are only bidding if they get the 9/stan package . That would leave Fox in a hole, either they team up with 10 who also might want everything with their streaming service or 7 who already have AFL and probably not interested in 3/4 games of NRL every week.
Fta is only 20 percent of the deal it’s easy to replace even if it means a bit less on the fta

remember fta includes origin

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fta is only 20 percent of the deal it’s easy to replace even if it means a bit less on the fta

remember fta includes origin
? eh? FTA pays $115mill of somewhere around $390-400mill cash (around 29%). And they are underpaying as usual.

Canard

Immortal
7 (committed to AFL) and 10 (broke) don't appear to have the money, and can 9 afford to go "all or nothing"?

Frank Burge

Juniors
It looks like Paramount have a buyer and might try and boost share price by buying a big Anchor sport and then selling off or keeping it profitably improves
7 (committed to AFL) and 10 (broke) don't appear to have the money, and can 9 afford to go "all or nothing"

It could only be a good thing for our game if they are a serious bidder.
The bidders may be serious, but will they be taken seriously?

All the signs are that Foxtel and Nine regard NRL as in the bag.

Alternative bids won't create competitive tension unless the existing rights holders genuinely believe one of those bids could succeed.

colly

Juniors

Yes I like your reasoning their. However lets be open having Ten get the whole package with 5 games behind a paywall and three ( like Nine on FTA )i e same package BUT BUT we sell that to Ten FOR $300 million and then sell to FOX what they have ( ie current package) for $350m ( which keeps the News LTD Papers / Media pumping out their garbage) but hey if media go for 'don't cover like you said it will have a 'chilling' effect on the overall popularity of the game.
However we could go with one FTA and (TWO) pay per view combination. That way we can keep the media , Like Nine, on board with their Sydney Morning Herald coverage and generally ( yes it it's piss poor lately)combined with Nine TV coverage on board, with their media connections above outlined. I suppose im saying we can go with 'multiply ' media as well as keeping the traditional media, that's way we maximize the payoff. So lets not settle for a duopoly or a two Company media deal, we should expand to three at least, as again that can keep the media connections on broad.

The_Wookie

Bench

South Sydney/Penrith
  • 9 Reach: 1.355m
  • 9 Average: 510,000
  • FoxBVOD Reach: 402,000
  • FoxBVOD Average: 249,000
  • FoxSTB estimate: 244,000
Manly/Canberra
  • No FTA broadcast
  • FoxBVOD Reach: 543,000
  • FoxBVOD average: 300,000
  • FoxSTB estimate: 294,000
Brisbane/Sydney
  • 9 reach: 1.37m
  • 9 Average: 649,000
  • FoxBVOD Reach: 493,000
  • FoxBVOD Average: 318,000
  • FoxSTB estimate: 311,000
Canterbury/Wests Tigers
  • No FTA Broadcast
  • FoxBVOD Reach: 462,000
  • FoxBVOD Average: 250,000
  • FoxSTB estimate: 245,000
Gold Coast/Melbourne
  • No FTA Broadcast
  • FoxBVOD Reach: 612,000
  • FoxBVOD average: 323,000
  • FoxSTB estimate: 316,000
North Queensland/Dolphins
  • No FTA Broadcast
  • FoxBVOD reach: 530,000
  • FoxBVOD average: 313,000
  • FoxSTB estimate: 306,000
Newcastle/Warriors
  • NO FTA broadcast
  • No Fox Broadcast information available
Cronulla/St George
  • 9 reach: 1.238m
  • 9 Average: 500,000
  • No Fox Broadcast information available
All data sourced from Oztam, VOZ, Mediaspy, NRL.com and League Unlimited. FoxSTB = set top boxes, and these estimates are based on the 0.98 ratio of FoxSTB to streaming from the 2023 season.

docbrown

Coach
10 are in a negative cutting loop. Cut costs. Cut programming. Lose viewers. Cut costs. Cut programming. Lose viewers.

The only thing that keeps people on FTA is as per the article - news, sport and reality programming.

There are only 2 sports of note that can keep them afloat - one is the NRL, the other is AFL (which isn't available). As I've said before, without one of them Channel 10 won't exist in 10 years.

And as the article says, we might end up with just 1 - Seven or Nine - in 10 to 15 years. If 9 doesn't get the full NRL rights and increases its Stan subscriber base, it doesn't have a future either. Again - all stuff I've said before.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The other advantage of Foxtel over the streamers is the existing infrastructure in pubs and clubs. Most pubs and clubs have a Foxtel subscription and the RL channel is the click of a button away. Moving to a streamer means they have to subscribe to a new service, work out how to get it shown on their screens etc.

Pubs and clubs can also get Foxtel via satellite, the NRL would need to look into what solutions are out there to get NRL via a streamer into venues that depend on satellite.
That's a great point. You could end up with pubs all over NSW and QLD just saying f**k it, just put the fumbleball on.

To be honest I do worry about the tantrum and bad press Fox will throw our way if we go with Stan.