What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
I said the return on what it’s worth was awful and they could’ve reinvested the money into assets that have a much higher return like we are

I’m happy they have their equity stuck in an asset that hardly makes money and whose value has collapsed

We have bought our assets at very favourable time in the cycle
No one care what the return on the current value is, doh! Investors care about two things. A) Is the return on what was invested good B) is the value of the asset increasing. The fact this particular asset ticks both those boxes AND helps the actual sport flourish through its useage is a big bonus.

$25-27mill a year isnt 'hardly making money'. Its around 9% return and when factoring in the other two big plusses is a pretty good ROI. If I could invest $286k of my pension and get $28k a year dividend plus have my pension worth $1mill in 8 years I'd be a happy man!

Where have you seen the profit on the NRL hotels by the way?

Wb1234

Immortal
No one care what the return on the current value is, doh! Investors care about two things. A) Is the return on what was invested good B) is the value of the asset increasing. The fact this particular asset ticks both those boxes AND helps the actual sport flourish through its useage is a big bonus.

$25-27mill a year isnt 'hardly making money'. Its around 9% return and when factoring in the other two big plusses is a pretty good ROI. If I could invest $286k of my pension and get $28k a year dividend plus have my pension worth $1mill in 8 years I'd be a happy man!

Where have you seen the profit on the NRL hotels by the way?
Articles on the nrl investments which I have posted and commented on

Which you have commented on as well

The_Wookie

Bench
Rugby league didn’t

Soccer didn’t

This was already covered.

"There was a view that soccer and rugby league required a new stadium but costs made the concept prohibitive". That view was held by the Victorian Government of the day.

The Victorian govt was doing it to help out the local football code

Then the premier who did this went to run hawthorn

lol

Lots of land they got cheap

Deal was signed in 1997, Different Government, different Party. Aami Park didnt open until 2010 a lot changes in 13 years.

I said the return on what it’s worth was awful and they could’ve reinvested the money into assets that have a much higher return like we are

They are getting a return on their investment of between 8-10% and thats perfectly fine. ROI isnt measured on whats its worth anywhere outside the last couple of pages on this forum where it suddenly became holy writ.

I’m happy they have their equity stuck in an asset that hardly makes money and whose value has collapsed

according to you. And only you.

Wb1234

Immortal
This was already covered.

"There was a view that soccer and rugby league required a new stadium but costs made the concept prohibitive". That view was held by the Victorian Government of the day.

Deal was signed in 1997, Different Government, different Party. Aami Park didnt open until 2010 a lot changes in 13 years.

They are getting a return on their investment of between 8-10% and thats perfectly fine. ROI isnt measured on whats its worth anywhere outside the last couple of pages on this forum where it suddenly became holy writ.

according to you. And only you.
Yes when I give an opinion in my post it is from my pov

Hahhahaa

Quick rush to defend the afl

Trifili13

Juniors
The property market is quite cyclical so you don't buy and sell stadiums and commercial property each time the market changes. I'd be very surprised if you purchased commercial land in a major CBD, especially at a low value initially that it's value does not rise over the long term. You simply ride out any short term downturns in the market if you can carry the holding costs.

Is buying a stadium or a pub or hotel like the Quest at Shark Park the better investment? Who knows, I'll leave to the accountants on here. I bet most on here having a crack at the AFL would be praising the NRL if it was able to purchase Allianz or Commbank at a discount price.

Billythekid

First Grade
What has any of this got to do with ratings lol? Also maybe I’m confused by this conversation but are we arguing this is a good deal or not? Seems like I’m reading that it was simultaneously a ludicrous deal bordering on corruption and a huge gift to the AFL. On the other hand I’m reading that it’s a poor ROI.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What has any of this got to do with ratings lol? Also maybe I’m confused by this conversation but are we arguing this is a good deal or not? Seems like I’m reading that it was simultaneously a ludicrous deal bordering on corruption and a huge gift to the AFL. On the other hand I’m reading that it’s a poor ROI.
Welcome to the world of Wb lol.

APPSY

Juniors
Better tell every major soccer club in the world that owning your own stadium is a bad investment
I don't think we'll be seeing something like that in either code for a while (i.e. all individual sport teams owning their respective stadiums in Aus). It'd be interesting to see if certain NRL clubs could come to terms on owning percentages of the stadiums they play out of though. Like if clubs could have a 10-20% ownership stake and actually take home more percentage of the profits in exchange to like, invest back into the grounds, etc. would be cool to see.