What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Wb1234

Immortal
Don’t need the usual suspects talking rubbish here about union not doing its usual anti league stuff

There are loads of interviews of current nrl players who grew up in nz and the pressure on them to give up league

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Don’t need the usual suspects talking rubbish here about union not doing its usual anti league stuff

There are loads of interviews of current nrl players who grew up in nz and the pressure on them to give up league
And yet in Australia, League is in the ascendency and we don't stop them playing Union, in fact we pay scholarships to send them to Union schools (that actively exclude RL) so they can get a good education.

Fittler's boy recently signed with Union and was playing both as a junior, ditto the bloke the Wests Tigers just signed. RL doesn't need underhanded tactics. Union, even where they are on top are terrified of RL eventually getting its act together and waking up.

Wb1234

Immortal
And yet in Australia, League is in the ascendency and we don't stop them playing Union, in fact we pay scholarships to send them to Union schools (that actively exclude RL) so they can get a good education.

Fittler's boy recently signed with Union and was playing both as a junior, ditto the bloke the Wests Tigers just signed. RL doesn't need underhanded tactics. Union, even where they are in top are terrified of RL eventually getting its act together and waking up.
Rugby union spent 100 years fighting a war with rugby league over the issue of “professionalism”

Players were banned for life from union for playing league

Then in 95 they went pro without so much as an apology for being wrong

And union globally from Greece Norway Eastern Europe France Australia and even nz does things to ban rugby league

Nz is the better than most union playing nations but the hatred of league is still there

The warriors are starting to break down the prejudices expanding away from their south Auckland Māori base to becoming a club for all Aucklanders

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Rugby union spent 100 years fighting a war with rugby league over the issue of “professionalism”

Players were banned for life from union for playing league

Then in 95 they went pro without so much as an apology for being wrong

And union globally from Greece Norway Eastern Europe France Australia and even nz does things to ban rugby league

Nz is the better than most union playing nations but the hatred of league is still there

The warriors are starting to break down the prejudices expanding away from their south Auckland Māori base to becoming a club for all Aucklanders
They don't see it coming yet but once league finally cracks NZ and the rest of the Pacific, it will be more devastating for World Rugby Union than they can ever imagine. Wallabies was just the tip of the iceberg

Wb1234

Immortal
They don't see it coming yet but once league finally cracks NZ and the rest of the Pacific, it will be more devastating for World Rugby Union than they can ever imagine. Wallabies was just the tip of the iceberg
Nz is the jewel in the Union crown

Diminish the all blacks and their international game is boring af with the northern hemisphere nations which never run the ball

Matua

Bench

Fittler's boy recently signed with Union and was playing both as a junior, ditto the bloke the Wests Tigers just signed. RL doesn't need underhanded tactics. Union, even where they are on top are terrified of RL eventually getting its act together and waking up.
We're discussing NZ, not Oz, but on that note NZR lets Warriors scholarshipped players play in national rep teams.

There's been one high profile case of a dispute between a kid and a school and that was because the kid was expecting to be able to pick and choose when he trained and when he played despite making a commitment to the 1st XV. That is not specific to league, that's specific to anyone making a commitment.

Watching you non NZers wobble on in this thread spouting rubbish like you have any idea is actually quite comical.

Matiunz

Juniors
The Warriors have always had a larger Pasifika influence than Maori and especially Pakeha in terms of playing group. Similar demographic ratios are reflected in the Auckland club scene and South Auckland.
Race shouldn’t matter but Maori tend to gravitate to Aus moreso and it’s rare to have Pakeha boys at the Warriors with only SJ well the non Laotian part) and Mannering the more recent high profile examples.

Matiunz

Juniors
Nz is the jewel in the Union crown

Diminish the all blacks and their international game is boring af with the northern hemisphere nations which never run the ball
The Administration power has always been in the North and policy and decisions have always been North focused. The Southern teams had to get by on scraps despite being the dominant team, Aus demise has barely registered on their care radar and I doubt NZ would much as long as the home unions were going strong. The Boks bounced back in a big way but they also threatened to follow a similar trajectory to Aus for a while and not too many eyelids batted

Matiunz

Juniors

The choice is always on the player/student though- they don’t HAVE to play Union and can pick a club and or a League friendly school if that’s what they wanted.
Often in school you will have to make a choice between sports, I had almost the opposite where I was played both Hockey and Rugby, I had pressure to give up Rugby as I was needed as GK for our 1stXI

Matua

Bench
The Warriors have always had a larger Pasifika influence than Maori and especially Pakeha in terms of playing group. Similar demographic ratios are reflected in the Auckland club scene and South Auckland.
Race shouldn’t matter but Maori tend to gravitate to Aus moreso and it’s rare to have Pakeha boys at the Warriors with only SJ well the non Laotian part) and Mannering the more recent high profile examples.
Well, they've always had a decent amount of Aussie Pakeha in the team. Which is a bugbear of mine. I'd rather journeymen Kiwis in the team than Aussies.

The choice is always on the player/student though- they don’t HAVE to play Union and can pick a club and or a League friendly school if that’s what they wanted.
Often in school you will have to make a choice between sports, I had almost the opposite where I was played both Hockey and Rugby, I had pressure to give up Rugby as I was needed as GK for our 1stXI
Yeah, it's hilarious that these posters think that players should be able to dictate when and where they play. RTS played rugby at school because it was a higher level of sport than he could get playing league and because of the mana that comes attached with it. If he didn't want to play rugby he didn't have to.

Wb1234

Immortal
League friendly school says a lot imo

What about like in Australia the good juniors get scholarships to the posh schools and then to play for the 1st xv they have to give up league

Wb1234

Immortal
The Administration power has always been in the North and policy and decisions have always been North focused. The Southern teams had to get by on scraps despite being the dominant team, Aus demise has barely registered on their care radar and I doubt NZ would much as long as the home unions were going strong. The Boks bounced back in a big way but they also threatened to follow a similar trajectory to Aus for a while and not too many eyelids batted
All blacks are the most famous union side on the planet

They are the probably only union brand that is truly global

How would a union World Cup look with it being largely a northern hemisphere dominated one (plus South Africa)

Matiunz

Juniors
Well, they've always had a decent amount of Aussie Pakeha in the team. Which is a bugbear of mine. I'd rather journeymen Kiwis in the team than Aussies.
That is true didn’t think of it that way with the Aus guys was more of an observation that the largest NZ demographic don’t typically gravitate towards league (unlike league in Aus)
My biggest bugbear is we have probably the most depth we’ve ever had across the board for the kiwis whilst at the same time probably the lowest Warriors representation ever.

Matua

Bench
League friendly school says a lot imo

What about like in Australia the good juniors get scholarships to the posh schools and then to play for the 1st xv they have to give up league
Firstly, who cares what happens in Australia? We're discussing NZ. Plus, all the NZers on scholarship at (for example) Keebra Park are in the same boat, they can't continue playing rugby when they move over here.

Most schools in NZ don't play league, there a few leaguie schools in Auckland, if a kid wants to avoid rugby altogether they can go there. You're reading way too much into the word friendly.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
We're discussing NZ, not Oz, but on that note NZR lets Warriors scholarshipped players play in national rep teams.

There's been one high profile case of a dispute between a kid and a school and that was because the kid was expecting to be able to pick and choose when he trained and when he played despite making a commitment to the 1st XV. That is not specific to league, that's specific to anyone making a commitment.

Watching you non NZers wobble on in this thread spouting rubbish like you have any idea is actually quite comical.
So are you going to tell me it's never gone on and doesn't go on now?

Latest posts