What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Panthers 17.

IcemanCleary

Juniors
1. Edwards
2. To'o
3. Tago
4. Alamoti
5. McLean
6. Talagi
7. Cleary
8. Leota
9. Kenny
10. Smith
11. Papali'i
12. Martin
13. Yeo

14. Questionable, I'd run first with Toelau.
15. Henry
16. Sorro
17. Garner

I believe Alamoti wants to play centre so he gets first rights. Toelau was too green to stick with through the finals but showed promise and could develop given a season to do so. Garner on the bench so he can cover centre if a shuffle is needed.

Not much to sort really. We are probably deeper than ever imo with Cole, Laurie, Cartwright, Patea, Huth, Mclean2 all looking decent enough fill ins.
Wait what Cartwright have we signed that I don't know about

age.s

First Grade
Yeah there's definitely question marks over Stephano but you'd be crazy to write him off at the Storm. I think we're a bit better at polishing rough diamonds, but they're not far off and when Stephano is on he's elite.

WestyLife

First Grade
That is the market these days. Their pack is soft so they had to improve it, That is the cost of it

Yeah but my origin point remains they made the gf comfortably and added a big young prop to the same roster who is good when on. I think he gave up a little at the tigers much like Papali’i who we're getting. The betting is an objective reflection and the confidence for the storm makes perfect sense it's not an insult to the Panthers.

We still have a big question mark on the 6.

maple_69

Bench
I don't really care what anyone else does, our system has proven that if we have our house in order, no one can go with us. The Storm + Uto & NAS look the most likely for sure at this stage.

Outside Backs - McLean in for Turuva I think will be a lateral move. If Casey improves as much as he did this year then we'll have the best backline of the whole dynasty period.

Edge Forwards - Papali'i in for Sorenson is a big in. It's an upgrade on the starter and it means our depth is way better. We shouldn't be playing with 9 middles in a game next year...

Middle Forwards - No two ways about it, Fish going is a loss. But. Smith's last month gives you a lot to be positive about, he took some good steps. Sorenson adds better impact off the bench and Henry in his second year has improvement in him so it could be a more well rounded 80 minute middle rotation than the big drop offs we suffered in the middle 40 this year. If Leota was carrying an injury, hopefully some improvement there.

Halves - Real unknown. Whether we go with Talagi/Cole our season will be defined by Nathan's fitness. I can see both developing nicely into the limited role that Luai occupied in 22/23, but if he's out, we'll struggle against the better sides with a rookie 5/8 and a backup quality halfback.

Depth - Better, no major losses and the young guys are that bit more prepared. Eiso still there to do his thing. McLean ready to go, Cole/Talagi won't be in the starting 13 and will be big additions during Origin. Patea & Geyer have also come along towards being good fill ins.

Verdict - I think we'll definitely start slow again, but we've got great talent replacing our outgoing stars. The balance of the side will be a fair bit better with less square pegs in round holes, particularly in the forwards. With Papali'i on the left, hopefully a stable centre and new 5/8, we have a real opportunity to actually use that edge consistently. We swung from being left dominant in 20-22 to right dominant in 23-24. While we might not bully as much territory without Fish, if we can have both edges humming, we'll be far better at converting our opportunities.

Lukemac

Juniors
My pick at 5/8 is Talagi.
If you haven't already looked at Blaize Talagi's highlights on YouTube, i suggest you do so.
Kid plays both sides of the field and has a far superior passing and running game to Cole. Highlights don't show any kicking so cannot speak on that.
His tackle efficiency for the eels this season is 80.6% in a very ordinary team.
To put that into perspective, Alamoti's tackle efficiency last year at the Bulldogs was 80.14%.
This year it was 83.73%. Albiet not great figures but still an improvement.
Proof that in a great system and a little more maturity, defence should improve.
Also note that Blaize played 5/8, centre and wing for the eels. Very hard to learn and get consistency being moved around all season.

John Hamblin

Juniors
Everything depends on Nathan’s body for us can’t see them beating us if we are at full strength. They played their best game of season and were lucky to only lose 3 try’s to 1. Beginning to think it’s not the body inside the pink shirt but the winner mentality.
As far as Melb future success if you compare our 2020 side it s**t all over their 2025 team. They have a no name 3/4 line, Papps best is behind him, Munster is old now, spare parts pack other than Kotoa or Grant. Hughes will never play better. Being Gypsies is only impediment in the drive for 5.
Cameron MUNCHER!!