What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The rebuilding phase

EelEtric

Juniors
Based only on who we have signed already for 2025, this would be my Rnd 1 squad.

1. Talagi
2. Sivo
3. Lomax
4. Penisini
5. Simonsson
6. Drown
7. Moses
8. RCG
9. Gutho
10. Offa
11. Tualagi
12. Matterson
13. Hopgood

14. Hands
15. Guymer
16. Moretti
17. Lane/Cartwright/Doorey

JokerEel

Coach
We need a new leader at the club and not someone who is currently here.
You can't bring change within Ryles needs to bring a new captain in. There isn't much available for next year though ..

1.Gutho
2. Sivo
3. Blaize
4. Penisini
5. Lomax

6. Brown
7. Moses

8. Reg
9. Hands
10. Joe
11. Kelma
12. Brazel
13. Hopgood

14. MA
15. Matto
16. Moretti
17. Guymer

With no new signings this is what I would expect for next year.

Players I left out can POQ

Happy MEel

First Grade
Based only on who we have signed already for 2025, this would be my Rnd 1 squad.

1. Talagi
2. Sivo
3. Lomax
4. Penisini
5. Simonsson
6. Drown
7. Moses
8. RCG
9. Gutho
10. Offa
11. Tualagi
12. Matterson
13. Hopgood

14. Hands
15. Guymer
16. Moretti
17. Lane/Cartwright/Doorey
Forgot about Kelma. Updated my 17 accordingly.

Happy MEel

First Grade
We need a new leader at the club and not someone who is currently here.
You can't bring change within Ryles needs to bring a new captain in. There isn't much available for next year though ..

1.Gutho
2. Sivo
3. Blaize
4. Penisini
5. Lomax

6. Brown
7. Moses

8. Reg
9. Hands
10. Joe
11. Kelma
12. Brazel
13. Hopgood

14. MA
15. Matto
16. Moretti
17. Guymer

With no new signings this is what I would expect for next year.

Players I left out can POQ
Moses takes the (c) for mine, Lomax goal kicker.

oldmancraigy

Coach
To the glue factory: Paulo, Lane, Sivo, Brown(pay half if we have to). Should free up anywhere between 1.3M to almost 3M (!!)

Huge needs: 2 outside backs, 2 middles, a starting hooker, edge backrower, backup half (can't get top quality with the $ we free up, so pick and choose and find some young guys to bring into the top 30 - our own or someone else's!)

Offseason training priorities: fitness, defence and trust falls (seriously - not everyone needs to pull a rabbit out of their backside on every play

Goals for 2025: just win half our games. That would be a massive improvement on the last 2 years... and be a mid table defensive team. Get some of those young guys coming through and build towards 2026.

Talagi FB
Gutho 5/8

Gherkin

Juniors
1. Brown
2. Lomax
3. Penisini
4. Talagi
5. Sivo
6. Gutho
7. Moses
8. RCG
9. Hands
10. Hopgood
11. Tuilagi
12. Cartwright
13. Matto

14. Arthur
15. Guymer
16. Ofa
17. Moretti

Brazel and Tuivati to push for spots if they kick on over the off-season.
Apart from general depth would look to sign a 9 and at least one second rower. Re-sign Simonsonn as a back up outside back

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gutho to 6?? Really?? He's done as an attacking threat. 14 at best next year, Talagi to 1 and in the off season he really needs some proper coaching in the position.

I'd be playing him there for the rest of the season.

Pazza

First Grade
Like to see penisini atack the line when we have a genuine overlap. We offer minimal threat from dummy half, second row and fullback. It just allows the line to slide and penisini never has the numbers advantage.

Gronk

Staff member
Gutho to 6?? Really?? He's done as an attacking threat. 14 at best next year, Talagi to 1 and in the off season he really needs some proper coaching in the position.

I'd be playing him there for the rest of the season.
yep, you need a 5/8 who can put his foot down.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think this squad all just need a reality check and a mental adjustment. The talent and ability of the current Top 13 players is enough to get us being a strong team.

For mine, the following are definites for a position in the backs:
Gutho
Lomax
Penisini
Talagi
Brown
Moses

What position they end up playing probably comes down to one more player that I think we need to sign. Or, if we can get Sivo fit, motivated and playing like every other top winger does, then this changes our fortunes dramatically. Lomax and a fit and motivated Sivo on the wings would be a game changer for this mob.

Hopgood just needs to get back and get fit and he should improve on what he has provided so far.
RCG could probably do with a break, as he has had a bit going on. Get him back motivated for a strong season next year and I suspect he go well.
Lane, Matterson and Cartwright I think all just need a mental adjustment.
Paulo needs a kick up the arse and we need to get more out of him.
Joffa I think will go OK and provide value if the others pull their heads out of their arse.

There is enough talent in the remainder of the 2025 squad for a couple of them to fill in as needed

We could do with an experienced 9, and maybe one other forward of top quality

After 11 years, I think these blokes at a minimum need a change, some fresh ideas, a new voice and big f**ken kick up the arse and you will see some changes automatically.

Last edited:
I've tried to think how Ryles can change it up based on current contracts (unless someone is convinced to leave/sign elsewhere) for 2025.

For the backline, it's all about where Lomax will play - and given the circumstances of his signing I suspect it's probably not going to happily be wing.

If Lomax is playing fullback, then....:
1. Lomax
3. Penisini - last chance
4. Talagi - he's probably a centre more than anything imo, but needs practice in the position to maximise his attack and defence
6. Brown - has the front line defence ability more than any other current option
7. Moses
9. Hands - best we've got in the position unless we sign someone in
14. Gutherson - to cover backline if there's a mid-game injury, or at a push some minutes at dummy half/halves to change things up as needed

But if Lomax is playing centres, then....:
1. Talagi - maybe he'll build into a fullback, with more practice in the position?
3. Penisini - as above
4. Lomax
6. Brown - as above
7. Moses
9. Hands - as above
14. Gutherson - as above

In both options I personally can't see Gutho as a starting back in any position anymore, but would have him in the 14 jersey in 2025... however the implication of that is there is no room for Matt Arthur on the NRL bench next season.

And obviously I haven't listed NRL wingers, because we are probably still at least one short there (Simonssen off contract, and injured until next season too).

Latest posts