What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

21 best metal albums of the 21st century...so far

AILD

Bench
We recently polled a wide array of musicians, managers, publicists, label reps, and writers from within the world of metal to find out what they thought the 21 Best Metal Albums of the 21st Century So Far have been. Eligible albums were released between January 1, 2000 and April 1, 2009. Each panelist turned in a ballot, with their #1 album worth 21 points, their #2 album worth 20 points, and so on and so forth. The ballots are now in and we’ll be counting down one album a day until we reach #1. We begin today with the #21 album, coming in with a total of 104 points…

http://www.metalsucks.net/category/21-best-metal-albums-of-the-21st-century-so-far/

count down is still on...2 more to be named.

Last edited:

HevyDevy

Coach
I was excited when I saw Opeth and In Flames there, but the appearance of Slipknot lost me immediately.

Ordinary list.

braz

Juniors
Interesting.

Tool and SOAD = Both great albums but didn't expect to see them on a list like this.

I thought White Pony was the beginning of the end for the Deftones. Not even close to a metal album anyway.

Killswitch Engage - WTF?? They are rubbish.

Machine Head - Blackening was deadset a brilliant album.

Good to see Mastodon in there and given that their best album (prior to this years Crack the Skye) - Leviathan - is not mentioned, it must be in the top two.

braz

Juniors
Also, one thing this list shows is how much better metal was in the 80/90s.

A top 21 list of those decades would deadset blow this list apart.

HevyDevy

Coach
Plus they have mysteriously missed the likes of Immortal, SYL, Novembers Doom etc.

The only album on that list that is a definite is Opeth's Blackwater Park.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I disagree with Killswitch sucking, but they're metalcore anyway.

And why is the website called metalsucks.com?

Eelementary

Post Whore
What a sh*t list...Slipknot? Converge? Hatebreed?

Bloodbath? Devian? Children Of Bodom? Devin Townsend/Strapping Young Lad?

I also reckon Heaven Shall Burn should find a place there, particularly ahead of Converge and Hatebreed.

I'm also partial to Swedish melodic death a la Sonic Syndicate, Soilwork (top, top band) and Scar Symmetry.

Oh, oh, oh - how did Kataklysm not make the list?

:crazy:

HevyDevy

Coach

KSE are the only band in that whole metalcore/hardcore area that I don't hate.

Still, I prefer melodic death by far.

AILD

Bench

KSE are awesome IMO.

The poll wasnt voted on by metalsucks...in the intro it says who did the poll.

dont know why its called metalsucks...but they have some of the most up to date metal news around.

HevyDevy

Coach
Yes Eeelementary, definitely agree with Kataklysm and Bloodbath.

Immortal 'Sons of Northern Darkness' should be there.

My Dying Bride perhaps?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Immortal! How could I forget them?

I also reckon Burzum should definitely have been there somehwere - especially over Slipknot.

HevyDevy

Coach
Yes although Burzum's best work was in the 90s.

Will be interesting to see what he comes up with now that he is out of prison.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Hey i got a question for you metal guys.

I'm not into metal all that much, but i'm in love with a canadian (i think) band called 'protest the hero'. I'd probably describe them as prog metal, but am interested in seeing what the rest of you class em as.

Cheers

HevyDevy

Coach
Damn impressive is what they are.

But yes they could be called progressive. That's generally the term used for any band that throws in elements from a number of genres and/or are technically very proficient.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Damn impressive is what they are.

Yeah- they're just incredible across the whole band. I don't think they've got the standing here to tour yet- but can't wait til they do. I've only got Fortress, haven't picked up the first album yet.

There a touch like dream theatre- except they write decent songs..

HevyDevy

Coach
Yeah- they're just incredible across the whole band. I don't think they've got the standing here to tour yet- but can't wait til they do. I've only got Fortress, haven't picked up the first album yet.

There a touch like dream theatre- except they write decent songs..

If you want to be accepted here you'll need to stop saying such things about the legendary Dream Theater - a band almost all others can only dream of emulating...

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
If you want to be accepted here you'll need to stop saying such things about the legendary Dream Theater - a band almost all others can only dream of emulating...

Will do... see its not so much i dont see how amazing they all are.. but well.. I just need to find something in there catalogue that i like i guess.

HevyDevy

Coach
Images and Words, Awake and Metropolis Pt 2 are standouts IMO.

Images and Words has a bit of the 80s keyboards thing going on but it's still mighty impressive.

Frailty

First Grade
Dream Theater are one of the few bands that don't have a poor album, and that even their weakest album (in my opinion Octavarium) is better than most...

I'm still whirling Black Clouds & Silver Lining and it is growing on me very well

Latest posts