What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 - Rabbitohs vs Broncos: Friday 21st July 8pm @Sunshine Coast Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Oh man, I can't even describe how happy and excited I am to be back doing a post like this on a Monday morning. We're back into it!!! back after the bye, the Origin period is over, and the run home, probably the most important part of the Season begins right now. This is pretty much a Season restart for us, the way I see it. And it doesn't get much bigger of a game to return with then playing the high-flying Broncos up there on the Sunshine Coast. What a blockbuster this will be. An absolute epic hopefully. Jeez I'm excited for this week! It's hard not to be.

Brisbane is a very tough team to beat in 2023 that's for sure. They've been one of the best sides all year and sit in second place on the ladder currently for a reason. We dominated them back in Round 9, and while we'd all love more of that, we do have to acknowledge that was a long time ago now and a lot has happened since. Since then, they've looked incredible at times and have been very consistent so far, so they'll come into this one full of fire and confidence to keep the ball rolling. This is the first real 'big game' they've played in a few weeks so it will be interesting to see how they respond to that, but I have no doubt they'll be looking to make a statement and they'll be in for a big night. Man, it really is no understatement when you say they have a star-studded side. It's ridiculous when you look at it. A fullback who is probably in the running for the Dally M (and he returns this week), one of the best and most dangerous backlines in the comp that is full of strike, a halves pairing that can match it with anyone on their day including our little mate Reynolds, all backed up by one of, it not, the best forward packs in the game. It's not an understatement when I say this team really can match it with anyone and they've proven that over the last 21 weeks to become one of the teams to beat. To be completely honest with you, I don't know what the key to beating them this week is because you're pretty much going to have to be on right across the board to get a result over them, in all areas of your game. Of course, the battle through the middle is extremely important, especially against them, but they how about their backline, how about their halves? Fail to shut down one area and it's game over. Going to be a huge challenge but it's one I hope our boys are up for. I expect them to be.

For us, it's one of the biggest games of our Season. It's an extremely exciting week to just take stock, reset, forget what has happened the last 6-8 weeks and just start rebuilding again in the run home. As I said, it feels like our Season completely restarts this Friday night. A challenge like this is a great way to do that because it will show us where we're really at. Remarkably, this week, in Round 21, will most likely be the strongest team we've named since Round 1. That's crazy! However, it's also extremely exciting to have everyone back on deck and come into a game full strength, fit, ready, and raring to go. With the side we're going to name, with inclusions like Trell, Stretch, Cody, Keaon, Cookie, Cam, Jai, I really feel like we can do it this week and make a huge statement. That's what I want to do. Make a huge statement and just announce to everybody, make it clear that these injuries and the Origin period which caused a bad run are behind us and we're here. South Sydney are here and they're coming. We all know what this side is capable at full strength, or near full strength, and it's now about getting back to that. Get out there and do it. No more excuses, no more talk, it's time for action. Get back to playing that 'Rabbitohs Footy' we all know the boys are capable of. That Warriors game should be the base to build off and I know, without a shadow of a doubt that if we come into this game on Friday night and get our game right, make the best account of ourselves, then we're going to be very hard to beat. Even if we are playing the Broncos. Playing up a home game up on the Sunshine Coast will be cool. It kicks off a five-week period of travel for the side but It's a great chance for the squad to again get away and bond. We've handled travel well so far this year and I hope that continues.

I just want it really bad this week. Absolutely burning for it to be honest and I hope the boys are feeling the same. Full strength side, a point to prove, I mean it when I say our Season restarts. The time is now. Let's have a good week and let's go and get these Broncos on Friday!

Glory, Glory.

Steenson123

Juniors
B
A must win game, if we are at close to full strength, all excuses are out the window. No more tired players, no more what ifs. This is our time to make our mark.
But.... what about this endless "back end of the season " garbage Demetriou has been pedalling for two months?? I never heard Cleary or Bellamy state this.

Steenson123

Juniors
Losing to TWO imbecile football clubs in Canterbury and St George .... How on earth can we expect improvement? We are THE only wins these two have had in months!! That sealed our fate and I have given up. You simply cannot afford to play duds like Hawkins alongside a slug like Kennar and expect anything but a disaster. Yet this is exactly what Demetriou did.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 21 against the Broncos,

1. L.Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Munro
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Sele
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray (C)

14. Havili
15. Host
16. Moale
17. Burgess

Damn that felt good to write! Predicting a full strength side for the first time literally all Season! very exciting.

Most of the side picks itself and doesn't need explaining but the points of interest for me are in the pack. There's a bit of debate around at the moment about who our best starting pair is in the front row. Tatola guaranteed one of them but who partners him to start? Sele and Tatola together have been ineffective in some games. However, we've seen them tear it up in the past. I can see the argument and the thing is, I think both Sele and Burgess are better coming off the bench. I do think JD will go with Hame to start for this game.

The other point of interest is what happens with Jai Arrow? For me, I agree with a lot of the talk at the moment that we need him in the second row. He was great there last year, Host, Chee Kam and Cartwright are simply not cutting it, and we have all our middles back so don't really need Jai there. Play him on an edge, it will strengthen the side.

Then of course, the bench. Havili, Burgess and Moale are probably automatic selections, but I do think JD will pick Hosty in the 17. Personally, I want to see Duncan there instead, but I just have a feeling they'll pick Host.

Certainly one of the most eagerly anticipated team list Tuesdays of the year tomorrow! Can't wait.

handyman2190

Bench
Here's my predicted line up for Round 21 against the Broncos,

1. L.Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Munro
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Sele
11. Koloamatangi
12. Arrow
13. Murray (C)

14. Havili
15. Host
16. Moale
17. Burgess

Damn that felt good to write! Predicting a full strength side for the first time literally all Season! very exciting.

Most of the side picks itself and doesn't need explaining but the points of interest for me are in the pack. There's a bit of debate around at the moment about who our best starting pair is in the front row. Tatola guaranteed one of them but who partners him to start? Sele and Tatola together have been ineffective in some games. However, we've seen them tear it up in the past. I can see the argument and the thing is, I think both Sele and Burgess are better coming off the bench. I do think JD will go with Hame to start for this game.

The other point of interest is what happens with Jai Arrow? For me, I agree with a lot of the talk at the moment that we need him in the second row. He was great there last year, Host, Chee Kam and Cartwright are simply not cutting it, and we have all our middles back so don't really need Jai there. Play him on an edge, it will strengthen the side.

Then of course, the bench. Havili, Burgess and Moale are probably automatic selections, but I do think JD will pick Hosty in the 17. Personally, I want to see Duncan there instead, but I just have a feeling they'll pick Host.

Certainly one of the most eagerly anticipated team list Tuesdays of the year tomorrow! Can't wait.
My mail is that talis has been told to bulk up as fast as he can,he will be in the top 30 next season

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Losing to TWO imbecile football clubs in Canterbury and St George .... How on earth can we expect improvement? We are THE only wins these two have had in months!! That sealed our fate and I have given up. You simply cannot afford to play duds like Hawkins alongside a slug like Kennar and expect anything but a disaster. Yet this is exactly what Demetriou did.
Time for your lithium dose, its overdue

Steenson123

Juniors
Are you THAT stupid? The goal at the start of this season was to WIN a Title. That is what Murray, Cook et al were preaching. You do NOT achieve that by failing against two Irrelevant no-hopers. It was up to the COACH to select a side that could defeat these two NOT a fill in side! We dropped FOUR POINTS that would be invaluable now. What is the point of finishing 5-8?? It will end in failure, it is sheer futility to end the regular season there. Demetriou failed in that 2-5 run and it is going to prove very costly.
I am not sure you actually understand the dynamics of sport. You must position yourself at season's end to WIN it all, not just to qualify for a play off berth. Who cares about that? We have made 5 Finals but only one GF. To do that the Coach should have had marker points in the season i.e, we need to be at a certain points tally by specified sections of the comp. We neded to go AT LEAST 4-3 in that stretch it makes a world of difference. We would be on 28 pts and right behind the two leaders. If we played say Brisbane in Rd 1 of the post-season that is a winnable game and could give us a direct path into the GF. Now we are almost out of it the Table is far too congested and we have given every one else a big start. Given THEM gifts by dropping points to two no-hopers they all FLOGGED!!!
I am not sure what you individuals are here for. I'm here for the club to WIN a Title and to achieve that you have to get to specific marker points during a season you cannot simply say as Demetriou has "oh, we will keep him fresh for the back-end of the season". NO it does not work like that!!! I don't hear Bellamy or Cleary keep saying this and compare them to us, where would you rather be??

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 21 against Broncos: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-21-against-broncos

Team list Tuesday is back baby!!

It's a very exciting and very interesting one this week too! Very exciting! Pumped to see that team, the strongest we have named in a super long time and one of the best sides we've named all year. Great to see finally!!

Trell, Stretch, Cody, Cooky, Keaon, Jai, Cam and Hosty are all back and slot in pretty much where you'd expect them to be. It doesn't get much bigger in terms of boosting a side than that! Particularly happy to see Jai named in the second row. That's a smart move and he'll hopefully start there for the rest of the year now. Although Host on the bench means he'll probably play some middle.

It's a shame to see Munro ruled out, that sucks, but happy for Taane to come back in and play there. He was our winger throughout the best part of the Season so far so he can do his job.

I wouldn't say the side is 100% perfect though. Personally, I wouldn't have picked Taaffe on the bench. Taaffey at 14 just doesn't work, that has been proven. Get Moale, Shaq or Duncan there. Of course, this could still happy.

But man, I'm just so stoked to see us name what I'd consider a bloody strong side for the first time in a long time.

Friday night can't come soon enough man!

callmack1

Staff member
'We want him right' - Latrell Mitchell out of Broncos blockbuster: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...t-of-broncos-blockbuster-20230720-p5dpwx.html

Ughhhhhh that is so annoyingly frustrating!! He's all fit, he's all sweet, they're just holding him back for another week to get him some more training with the team. I can understand the logic, totally, but man that sucks for tomorrow night. huge blow in terms of this game against the Broncos.

I'm a bit surprised by it too. They knew that Trell only having a couple of sessions with the team before this game was going to be the case so why name him in the first place? He even did the captain's run today and by all reports, completed it with no stress. It is a little strange.

As I say, I understand the logic though, we can't muck around with it. Just a big blow for this game.

I still think we can beat Brisbane, even without Trell. We still have pretty much our whole side there. However, it does make me more nervous as he was the real ex-factor.

Travitoh

First Grade
I say it every year but i hate this trip. It's a bit over an hour away from Lang Park but we give away home state advantage to our opponent. Every time. Being from Adelaide, i do say this with some bias but give some love to other states where Souths are massive and playing games there will actually convert people into Souths supporters. But despite what is said, it isn't about growing or expanding the brand of the club across the country, it's about who'll pay the club an extra $1k to host them.