What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 team NRL competition by 2040

siv

First Grade
You forgot about Elle's dad.
He put in a load of cash and was about to become our 'Uncle Nick'.
Alas his passion took over in the guise of a pair of scissors.
Yes that was soon after they almost went under in the mid 80s

They didnt change their spending habits and by the the SL War they were desperate and the first club to jump for the cash

Yes that was soon after they almost went under in the mid 80s

They didnt change their spending habits and by the the SL War they were desperate and the first club to jump for the cash
Nope. In the 90's. the 80's was our dance with Geoffrey Edelston that didn't come about.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hobart and Darwin will never happen.
Nope, Wollongong and Gosford couldn't support an NRL team, no chance those cities could. I cant see another regional NRL club being added, if anywhere Sunshine Coast would be the obvious place but it would probably still be a struggle to be viable there.

Perth
Wellington/Christchurch
Adelaide
Brisbane 3 (wouldn't be my choice but its a safe bet It'll happen at some time)
PNG (last in line if the systems can be put in place)

That'd be a solid 22 team comp addition

Beyond that you would really struggle to justify any other areas. Possibly in next lifetime Melbourne 2 and Perth 2 if the game takes over as #1 sport in the country and we went to conferences.

Wb1234

Referee
I guess it all comes down to what @Perth Red said about money and tv ratings.

tv ratings and money will dictate the future makeup of the competition.

20 teams by the early 2030’s is achievable and probably the maximum number unless a conference system is introduced.
Two conferences of 12 playing a full home and away season

top five comp for each with one grand final in Brisbane and the other in Sydney

winner of each gf to play each other

Brian potter

Bench
Two conferences of 12 playing a full home and away season

top five comp for each with one grand final in Brisbane and the other in Sydney

winner of each gf to play each other
The obvious question about a conference system is how would you determine which teams would play in which conference?

got to be honest and say that I’m not a fan of having 3 grandfinals. I would have a shield for both conferences winners(teams that finish 1st) with decent sized prize monies for both winners. I’d also have a straight 8 team playoff shootout with the top 4 teams in each conference qualifying.

Wb1234

Referee
The obvious question about a conference system is how would you determine which teams would play in which conference?

got to be honest and say that I’m not a fan of having 3 grandfinals. I would have a shield for both conferences winners(teams that finish 1st) with decent sized prize monies for both winners. I’d also have a straight 8 team playoff shootout with the top 4 teams in each conference qualifying.
Nswrl conference Sydney plus Newcastle and Canberra plus warriors

super league conference all the rest

proper home and away season

both brisbane and Sydney get a grand final
More Sydney and qld derbies to boost crowds significantly

Brian potter

Bench
Nswrl conference Sydney plus Newcastle and Canberra plus warriors

super league conference all the rest
ive much held similar views to this idea too and thought the most ideal period for the introduction of conferences was just after the end of the super league wars in which you had an already natural split in the game between the ARL and super league.
proper home and away season
a 22 week regular season is a good fit and number.
both brisbane and Sydney get a grand final
More Sydney and qld derbies to boost crowds significantly
still not a fan of the 3 grandfinals but the local derbies is appealing.

Wb1234

Referee
ive much held similar views to this idea too and thought the most ideal period for the introduction of conferences was just after the end of the super league wars in which you had an already natural split in the game between the ARL and super league.

a 22 week regular season is a good fit and number.

still not a fan of the 3 grandfinals but the local derbies is appealing.

Itlll never happen as non Sydney clubs want to play fhe traditional clubs

top five is the best finals system to reward the team who comes first.

Brian potter

Bench

Itlll never happen as non Sydney clubs want to play fhe traditional clubs

top five is the best finals system to reward the team who comes first.
The yanks did it best with the NFL after their war with the NFC and AFC conferences and the NFL being the main brand name and governing body.

Wb1234

Referee
The yanks did it best with the NFL after their war with the NFC and AFC conferences and the NFL being the main brand name and governing body.
That would’ve been ok a sl and arl conference

news ltd wanted 12 teams sadly which was too low

the problem with 24 teams is I can’t think of a decent 24th club unless nz gets 3 teams

I think once they get to 20 they will pause for a good ten years