What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

Steel Saints

Juniors
If Perth is announced as the location for team 18 tomorrow, then it is great news for the game. And hopefully later on this year, the NRL announces the winning bid/consortium, whether it's a stand alone, Jets or Bears. This is a proper process the NRL must go through, instead of picking a consortium prematurely.

Having Perth come into the comp first over PNG will be a huge advantage, especially if team 19 is admitted only 12 months later. Perth will have first dibs on recruiting quality players, while PNG could be stuck with the leftovers. Team 19 should be brought in 4 or 5 years later.

Dolphins was team 17, and it has caused no negative issues with the comp or ladder. After 14 games, the bottom three teams already have 4 wins each.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If Perth is announced as the location for team 18 tomorrow, then it is great news for the game. And hopefully later on this year, the NRL announces the winning bid/consortium, whether it's a stand alone, Jets or Bears. This is a proper process the NRL must go through, instead of picking a consortium prematurely.

Having Perth come into the comp first over PNG will be a huge advantage, especially if team 19 is admitted only 12 months later. Perth will have first dibs on recruiting quality players, while PNG could be stuck with the leftovers. Team 19 should be brought in 4 or 5 years later.

Dolphins was team 17, and it has caused no negative issues with the comp or ladder. After 14 games, the bottom three teams already have 4 wins each.
I'd suggest its quite possible the Perth deal is done and its based on WA Govt support. Id also suggest (given the Perth bid and WA govt are in Sydney together this week) that the Perth bid will get the license. The only thing to be decided is if they partner with someone. NRL could go to open tender for a Perth club but its unlikely given the ground work done by WA govt. If it will be 18 or PNG will be 18 remains the thing we are waiting to hear.

Vlad59

Juniors
I'd suggest its quite possible the Perth deal is done and its based on WA Govt support. Id also suggest (given the Perth bid and WA govt are in Sydney together this week) that the Perth bid will get the license. The only thing to be decided is if they partner with someone. NRL could go to open tender for a Perth club but its unlikely given the ground work done by WA govt. If it will be 18 or PNG will be 18 remains the thing we are waiting to hear.
Good luck mate. I’m 100% behind a Perth Club at 18 devoid of any dead bears.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good luck mate. I’m 100% behind a Perth Club at 18 devoid of any dead bears.
Cheers, the exciting thing for anyone who is pro expansion is that for the first time since 1998 the NRL will be growing into a new market. That in itself is worth celebrating, be it Perth, Christchurch or Port Moresby.

After 25 years of waiting and being involved in a futile bid in 2012 Ill be very happy if Perth gets announced as club 18!

Vlad59

Juniors
Cheers, the exciting thing for anyone who is pro expansion is that for the first time since 1998 the NRL will be growing into a new market. That in itself is worth celebrating, be it Perth, Christchurch or Port Moresby.

After 25 years of waiting and being involved in a futile bid in 2012 Ill be very happy if Perth gets announced as club 18!
Yep. Agreed

Steel Saints

Juniors
I would love to hear from the WA Govt. and their support for Perth "insert name". If WA Govt. is going to fund an upgrade for HBF Park, then to get value for money, they most likely want all 12 games to be held in Perth. Additionally have plans for COE too.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I reckon they will decide/announce that PNG is not ready and will not be team 18, and that they are currently negotiating with Perth. Unless all details have been sorted, and all 17 clubs agree, there can be no announcements. If they announce that Perth is definitely team 18, then Bears/Jets have zero leverage to be involved, and it will be a start up.

flippikat

Bench
If it is Perth, then in terms of crude footprint we'll be just about where we were in 1995 again - when Auckland, North Queensland, Brisbane 2 (Crushers, now remedied by adding the Dolphins), and Perth (Reds, hopefully remedied by the upcoming team 18) were added.

That's 30ish years to get back to that state. Mind boggling really - and just highlights the hidden cost of the Superleague war - TIME that was wasted.

Pippen94

First Grade
If it is Perth, then in terms of crude footprint we'll be just about where we were in 1995 again - when Auckland, North Queensland, Brisbane 2 (Crushers, now remedied by adding the Dolphins), and Perth (Reds, hopefully remedied by the upcoming team 18) were added.

That's 30ish years to get back to that state. Mind boggling really - and just highlights the hidden cost of the Superleague war - TIME that was wasted.

Crusher were broke going into first season. Perth reds were always going to struggle out west. Superleague is excuse. Didn't stop warriors, cowboys..

Pippen94

First Grade
I reckon they will decide/announce that PNG is not ready and will not be team 18, and that they are currently negotiating with Perth. Unless all details have been sorted, and all 17 clubs agree, there can be no announcements. If they announce that Perth is definitely team 18, then Bears/Jets have zero leverage to be involved, and it will be a start up.

NRL is talking to bears. Perth with Cumins won't happen.

Pippen94

First Grade
I would love to hear from the WA Govt. and their support for Perth "insert name". If WA Govt. is going to fund an upgrade for HBF Park, then to get value for money, they most likely want all 12 games to be held in Perth. Additionally have plans for COE too.

I'd be talking to twiggy instead

Pippen94

First Grade

Everybody here is pro expansion. Who is advocating a reaction of teams?!

Canard

Immortal
I suspect this might be the case. Anything more significant would have been leaked by now.

There are no secrets in Rugby League

putting more teams in areas that are already rugby league heartlands isnt expansion, in my opinion.
Can you knock off the anti-Queensland rhetoric?

You can be pro-Perth without being anti-Queensland.

Queensland is a vital heartland area that has been underserviced for 36 years. The addition of the Titans and Dolphins corrected the injustice of losing the Crushers and Chargers. Hopefully Perth are reintroduced tomorrow to correct the other injustice from the 1990s.

Vlad59

Juniors
Can you knock off the anti-Queensland rhetoric?

You can be pro-Perth without being anti-Queensland.

Queensland is a vital heartland area that has been underserviced for 36 years. The addition of the Titans and Dolphins corrected the injustice of losing the Crushers and Chargers. Hopefully Perth are reintroduced tomorrow to correct the other injustice from the 1990s.
Ultimate potato!