What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

Maximus

Coach
Through a Cooperative or Fan share ownership, the South Island Kea will prioritize democratic decision-making, fan involvement, participation and empowerment to build a sustainable fan focused commercial model with social responsibility and sustainability at its core.

The Kea are not a serious bid.

Canard

Immortal
Through a Cooperative or Fan share ownership, the South Island Kea will prioritize democratic decision-making, fan involvement, participation and empowerment to build a sustainable fan focused commercial model with social responsibility and sustainability at its core.

The Kea are not a serious bid.
Only the seriously brain dead would think otherwise.

So only @final say and @Wb1234

MugaB

Coach
Hold the phone.. I have the first draft of bid form!! ;)

NRL BID FORM

Instructions: Please complete all sections in blue or black pen only.
To be returned to NRL HQ by 1 August.

Bid name:
Home Stadium:
Jersey Colors:

(Please attach artists impression of home and away jersey)

Number of home games to be played at other stadiums (Please detail number & where):

Maximum expansion fee you can pay us:

Please detail, in 1000 words or less, how you will increase the NRL's talent pool:

Preferred timeslot for home games:

Please detail, in 1000 words or less, how you will be competitive on the field:

Please attach 3 references/endorsements - one from a current NRL broadcaster, one from an existing NRL club, one from a major sponsor or millionaire you have lined-up to bankroll your club.

‐----

Now, I'm advised that was the first draft ;) anyone seen the finished one? (Hehehe)
Form must be handed in on a cocktail napkin written with lipstick, preferably one from the Gambero hotel or known associates.... spines up!!!

flippikat

Bench
Fair summary.
The 3rd could easily join either of the first two, to hit it out of the park.
There's a wealth of experience in those first 2 bids, what we aren't seeing is the cash.
I think the second will go with Scorpions, third could be the Bulls?
They've been working away in public and now I think they'll be in overdrive. The NRL has made it clear to submit bids in a month and it might light the fuze for investors.
Yeah that 3rd bid sounds like money just looking for the right bid to attach to, to be honest. Interesting ideas on branding, given that the Scorpions & Bulls have been used traditionally for South Island & Christchurch teams locally.. could be a way to plug-in to tradition (which sounds like the go for the "league people" angle of the publicly announced South Island bid that Frank Endacott is endorsing).

It's going to be really interesting to see how this shakes-out over July before the bids need to be in at the end of this month... as it's interesting watching Perth take shape.

final say

Juniors
Yeah that 3rd bid sounds like money just looking for the right bid to attach to, to be honest. Interesting ideas on branding, given that the Scorpions & Bulls have been used traditionally for South Island & Christchurch teams locally.. could be a way to plug-in to tradition (which sounds like the go for the "league people" angle of the publicly announced South Island bid that Frank Endacott is endorsing).

It's going to be really interesting to see how this shakes-out over July before the bids need to be in at the end of this month... as it's interesting watching Perth take shape.
At least we'll get lots of news over the next month.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Obviously there's plenty of paperwork.
Probably not going to be any specific order but the NRL will want to see a business plan: Financial records- costs, income, projections along with a marketing strategy. Stadium- availability ,venue and all associated costs. Training facilities, offices and locations of all these things with at least a letter of intent. Structures for academies, feeder teams ect. Likely Hotel locations for visiting teams.

Obviously the more detailed and comprehensive bids will be looked apon favourably...
WA so far have a poorly written letter that's only use was to let everyone know just how far behind they are ! They don't even know who they are yet.
It's the most non bid.. bid.
I think the bid will be ok, but that letter was concerning. It was riddled with spelling mistakes including spelling Cummins' own company name wrong. Hope this isn't the level of attention to detail the bid has or they may struggle. And I am one that is excited for the prospect of Perth so I want them to nail this

Last edited:

final say

Juniors
I think the bid will be ok, but that letter was concerning. It was riddled with spelling mistakes including spelling Cummins' oen company name wrong. Hope this isn't the level of attention to detail the bid has or they may struggle. And I am one that is excited for the prospect of Perth so I want them to nail this
Well the Jets already pulled the pin.. so the concerns are real.
I think it's just going to take a little time. As I've said before, both NZ bids have stated they'll be ready for 2026, Perth will happen but I'd be more convinced around 2029.
In all honesty I think the Bears should be the ones going it alone. State a move to Perth, set up an office there and start putting it all together on the ground. They've been in the top league, they know the business and have all the infrastructure- just relocate.

Pippen94

First Grade
Well the Jets already pulled the pin.. so the concerns are real.
I think it's just going to take a little time. As I've said before, both NZ bids have stated they'll be ready for 2026, Perth will happen but I'd be more convinced around 2029.
In all honesty I think the Bears should be the ones going it alone. State a move to Perth, set up an office there and start putting it all together on the ground. They've been in the top league, they know the business and have all the infrastructure- just relocate.

This what singo thinks about Perth;

A man with an acute radar for duplicity, Singo has issues with the veracity of the numbers of junior players, level of financial backing and TV viewers being touted by both the WA government and their preferred owner, Peter Cummins of Cash Converters.

Singo also queries the size of the TV audience being spruiked in the west.

“These days they are called eyeballs,” he said. “Do you count them as two eyeballs or one?”

Vlad59

Bench
This what singo thinks about Perth;

A man with an acute radar for duplicity, Singo has issues with the veracity of the numbers of junior players, level of financial backing and TV viewers being touted by both the WA government and their preferred owner, Peter Cummins of Cash Converters.

Singo also queries the size of the TV audience being spruiked in the west.

“These days they are called eyeballs,” he said. “Do you count them as two eyeballs or one?”
Flame

MugaB

Coach
Can we rename this thread the ‘psychopaths against expansion to Perth’ thread
I'm not against Perth having an nrl team, all for it 100 percent, just don't think this bid without the bears, jets or someone who's currently at reserve grade level like east tigers etc, were to bolster them in their infancy for at least 5 years, maybe there could be a deal done to have one of them involved, and after that they can return to wherever with a new licence, and leave Perth under their own brand pirates/reds etc that way you get the best for all parties

Latest posts