What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2GB, ABC or Triple M, who do you listen to for your league coverage?

Which radio station do you listen to for your league coverage?

• 2GB

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Triple M

Votes: 74 49.3%
  • ABC

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Don't listen to league on the radio

Votes: 10 6.7%

• Total voters

Vic Mackey

Referee
Just heard that Triple M has just signed a 6 year deal to call every Swans and GWS game into Sydney PLUS Saturday night fumbleball.

I was under the impression that Triple M were hoping to end their association with AFL to concentrate on NRL. It appears they've gone in another direction. This is f**king pathetic.

The NRL needs to look at look at spreading its wings to another network. Keep Triple M but f**k this exclusivity bullshit for certain games and just go for the all in scenario.

The AFL must be paying Triple M to broadcast this shit into Sydney.

2SM already broadcast every Swans and GWS game. This mob will have a better radio presence in Sydney than NRL.

There is nothing worse than listening to the football on Triple M then they all of a sudden have to go to an AFL match.

Ginnane gave a pretty good explanation on the rush hour today. He said that a lot of people hadn't been happy and were blowing up on social media etc about it. Basically what he said:

* the can do upto 3 AFL games a week. This has to include a Saturday night game and (at least) a swans or giants game

* they have the freedom to pick which ones these are. So for instance if the swans play Saturday night that might be the only one they cover. If the swans are playing Friday night but there's an NRL game on they wanna do they can do that and then do the Giants game if it doesn't clash with another NRL game

* he said that triple m is a national company and it was made by the company for all stations. He then said if it wasn't for MMM Sydney fighting for NRL it would have been the same deal again. That it became a major shitstorm between the Sydney network and head quarters.

* he gave me the impression that he and basically everyone at the Sydney station don't care for AFL but they had to do what their employer wanted. He also made out that it was AFL minded ppl making these calls so I'm guessing all the Aus Stereo execs are Melbourne wankers

It doesn't sound ideal to me and when you think that triple m has made such a comeback over the past 10 years on the back of becoming essentially an NRL FM station its a completely ridiculous idea. These Victorians have no idea about the Sydney landscape, it's like they genuinely believe we are all AFL mad.

Jeffmister

Juniors
* he said that triple m is a national company and it was made by the company for all stations. He then said if it wasn't for MMM Sydney fighting for NRL it would have been the same deal again. That it became a major shitstorm between the Sydney network and head quarters.

* he gave me the impression that he and basically everyone at the Sydney station don't care for AFL but they had to do what their employer wanted. He also made out that it was AFL minded ppl making these calls so I'm guessing all the Aus Stereo execs are Melbourne wankers
Think you're reading into his comments things which weren't said or hinted at. For example, there was nothing expressly or implicitly said about who was making the calls about rights negotiations. What you're referring to is his discussion about how Triple M Sydney's desire to 'protect' their NRL coverage nearly 'killed' Triple M (as a network) being able to renew the rights full stop. This is because the AFL rights agreement which was signed is a national one which one which affects all Triple M stations in some way.

It doesn't sound ideal to me and when you think that triple m has made such a comeback over the past 10 years on the back of becoming essentially an NRL FM station its a completely ridiculous idea. These Victorians have no idea about the Sydney landscape, it's like they genuinely believe we are all AFL mad.
The new agreement is far more ideal than the current one where their hands are tied as to having to prioritize airing Sydney Swans matches over NRL games. At least with the new agreement they can limit situations where they have to air AFL instead of NRL to the absolute minimum where a conflict is unavoidable.

In addition, the idea that Triple M Sydney wouldn't be airing AFL games was unlikely considering as Dan said, they've been airing Swans games since 2005 and rights agreement generally don't tend to go backwards (ie; going from having coverage to no coverage). It's not just Triple M that's affected as well, 2UE under the new agreement are required to air all Swans and GWS Giants games as well so the push for radio broadcasts has been one led/likely 'forced' by the AFL, not the broadcasters

Vic Mackey

Referee
Think you're reading into his comments things which weren't said or hinted at. For example, there was nothing expressly or implicitly said about who was making the calls about rights negotiations. What you're referring to is his discussion about how Triple M Sydney's desire to 'protect' their NRL coverage nearly 'killed' Triple M (as a network) being able to renew the rights full stop. This is because the AFL rights agreement which was signed is a national one which one which affects all Triple M stations in some way.

The new agreement is far more ideal than the current one where their hands are tied as to having to prioritize airing Sydney Swans matches over NRL games. At least with the new agreement they can limit situations where they have to air AFL instead of NRL to the absolute minimum where a conflict is unavoidable.

In addition, the idea that Triple M Sydney wouldn't be airing AFL games was unlikely considering as Dan said, they've been airing Swans games since 2005 and rights agreement generally don't tend to go backwards (ie; going from having coverage to no coverage). It's not just Triple M that's affected as well, 2UE under the new agreement are required to air all Swans and GWS Giants games as well so the push for radio broadcasts has been one led/likely 'forced' by the AFL, not the broadcasters

Ok, thanks Dan

Brutus

Referee
So 2UE is airing AFL games as well???

That's 2SM, 2UE and Triple M all broadcasting AFL into Sydney. What the f**k is going on.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Triple M Sydney 'the new home of rugby league' was airing the women's AFL live on Friday....between 2 Melbourne teams...I'm sure the ratings were huge.....

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Well the NRL needs to fight fire with fire.

Todd Greenberg and John Grant couldn't fire a peashooter. They don't have the commercial acumen to understand radio coverage is basically a means of promoting the game. They are too busy trying to squeeze the networks for dollars they will never pay to broadcast the game whilst the AFL are probably paying the stations money to broadcast.

insert.pause

First Grade
Todd Greenberg and John Grant couldn't fire a peashooter. They don't have the commercial acumen to understand radio coverage is basically a means of promoting the game. They are too busy trying to squeeze the networks for dollars they will never pay to broadcast the game whilst the AFL are probably paying the stations money to broadcast.
To be fair, they can only do one thing at a time... and then they have to re-do it because they didn't do it right the first time.

Suitman

Post Whore
Love spending my Saturday afternoons listening to MMM and their RL broadcast and discussion.
It absolutely craps all over those morons and all their dribble at 2GB.

Diesel

Referee
Love spending my Saturday afternoons listening to MMM and their RL broadcast and discussion.
It absolutely craps all over those morons and all their dribble at 2GB.
Same here in Brisbane, until the Lions play and the NRL gets shafted to the Triple M app.

I'm sure in Brisbane, like Sydney, when the AFL comes on replacing the NRL program, most switch it off

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
COLOURFUL businessman John Singleton loves rugby league as much as any of us.

But as the 40 per cent shareholder of Macquarie Network 2GB, he says the NRL’s radio broadcast rights are “no longer worth two bob”.

Especially in these days of every game shown live on Fox Sports or Channel 9 and the saturating digital coverage.

“Everyone’s interested in rugby league,” Singo says, “It’s at an all-time high. But you look at the ratings and as soon as the game comes on you get half the audience.

“Seriously, do you want to pay money to lose half your audience?”

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Triple M. Since wok got booted from ABC. Ah i remember when he ignored some woman from South Australia posing as a sideline eye, it was golden

2gb are a bunch of dribblers.